How often do you wash your Porsche?

Airhead

Wow. I bet that nobody here puts his pride and joy through an automatic, commercial car wash. It's hard to believe that research. Was it paid for by car wash machine manufacturers?

Nobody here has a super duper expensive car  wash. Except maybe one of the dealers...

I wash mine when it is dirty, usually when the Windows get grimy with dust.

as I avoid rain and dirt it Is usually dust that forces a wash, when I am lazy and don't put the cover on.

then there was the incident when I was following another 911 which ran through a patch of cow offal that had been spilled across the road.  Definitely needed washing after that.  Actually reminds me I need to get it on the stands and power wash underneath.

I wash mine when it is dirty, usually when the Windows get grimy with dust.

as I avoid rain and dirt it Is usually dust that forces a wash, when I am lazy and don't put the cover on.

then there was the incident when I was following another 911 which ran through a patch of cow offal that had been spilled across the road.  Definitely needed washing after that.  Actually reminds me I need to get it on the stands and power wash underneath.

You might need to re-tell the cow story...!

If you even wash your car at home , be afraid , be very afraid

http://www.thecarwash1.com/handwashing-harmful-cars-finish-university-texas-study/

Wow. I bet that nobody here puts his pride and joy through an automatic, commercial car wash. It's hard to believe that research. Was it paid for by car wash machine manufacturers?

Actually I'd believe that for most drivers that would be the case with incorrect detergents and contaminated sponges that would cause more damage than a car wash.  I'll admit to washing most of my work cars with a bucket and a broom!

You want OCD, Larry is your man! I have a small man crush on this guy... ^_^

Yes I have seen his video before and wish I could get that sort of finish from my black 911 ,,,I am planning on getting some paint correction done on my car very soon to remove the swirl marks ,,something that has been bothering me for some time now ........I will never buy another Black car just took much work 

Not if I can avoid it but if so then a wash/hose is the only way to get it clean again. Normal cleaning after a drive is Quick Detailer and microfibre towels and I use a quality cover to avoid dust contamination.

I feel washing modern cars is fine but something over thirty worries me as the seals etc are becoming tired.

If you even wash your car at home , be afraid , be very afraid

http://www.thecarwash1.com/handwashing-harmful-cars-finish-university-texas-study/

What a load of TOSS! Trying to up their revenue is all!

They even have a car wash song... please!!

Oh, and I have washed my car once since buying it, probably because I have hardly driven it!! I usually wash my cars when they look dirty, time pending...... :ph34r:

What are your thoughts on "microfibre" and "special polymers" , the conventional modern 'wisdom"? Sounds a bit carcinogenic to me.

I am not that fancy. I just need to be able to drive it some to get it dirty :P

You have seen the work I need to do, if it gets washed it is a bonus :)

I am not that fancy. I just did to be able to drive it some to get it dirty :P

You have seen the work I need to do, if it gets washed it is a bonus :)

Sydney & Brissie  people have it easy. It's always raining up there, summer as well :lol:

Rarely washed as garaged wherever the cars go

and the effort of washing the car properly without introducing surface imperfections takes a certain amount of time

generally a case of dusting off the car and reconditioning the interior if anything

A question for those using the quick detailer and the microfibre towl. Do you wash the towl and if so how often. 

I use microfibre cloths with a spray wax after I have washed and dried the car. I wash them every time using Mint M-Wash and no fabric softener (apparently important not to use fabric softener).  Although I am not game to use it on a dirty car because I hate swirls, if you do I would think you should also wash the cloth each time

I wash mine weekly (or sometimes every fortnight) in good weather. I'm very particular and won't let any car washes near my car and always do it myself. 

Mid the car has been out in not so good weather I try and wash as soon as possible after driving 

What are you guys sing for dusting?  Seems as though whatever you dust with could swirl as much a sponge and water?

I have heard good things about California dusters (e.g. https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/speciality_brands/california_car_duster) but can't speak from personal experience.  Also, as I understand it the dust has to be indoor dust rather than outdoor dust.

Other option is just to give it a rinse with the hose then blow it dry (few options, including a proper car dryer/blower such as the master blaster one I linked in one of my posts above, a leaf blower as long its not blowing dirty air or a fast drive - expect you'd need to get over 110kmph to get the water off)

What are you guys sing for dusting?  Seems as though whatever you dust with could swirl as much a sponge and water?

I sometimes use ONR (Opticoat No Rinse), spray on the car and the microfibre towel and give it  alight wipe. Comes up nicely with no swirl marks as far as I can see 

My garaged 3.2 gets washed when dirty so maybe once a month. Even if it has collected dust in the garage. The 996 and HSV once a fortnight. The Cayenne maybe once every 3 months as I need to clear my schedule for that gigantic thing. I guess I'm washing a car once a week . You'd all be mortified with my technique. Trigger hose in one hand, sponge in the other and I run the water while wiping with the spong. Spong gets sprayed clean after every panel. No soap used. Much quicker to wash the car and  haven't noticed any swirl marks. i used to have OCD with my cars but that always led to stress so I've learnt to chill out when it comes to car care. 

Archived