The rarest most common 911 - a restoration

Stu

So a while a go I purchased a near 40 year old 911, the previous owner purchased it brand new (he passed and his wife sold the car). He had the engine rebuilt by Porsche about 10 years ago. The interior is in incredible condition but a few bits need sorting, running gear is really good - BUT paint is falling off it faster than I can say 'I love this thing'!

So why the title? When I was 8, my father gave me a match box car. It was a 911 SC targa, that was my dream, and now I have it (SC's must be the most common 911's around - that's the most common part to the title). 

This thread is about my restoration. I think I might be one of very few who would bother to spend a small fortune restoring a targa sportomatic (I think a red Targa Sporto is exceptionally rare because everybody changed them to manual and sprayed them a different colour... The bit I find funny is nobody really wanted my dream car.

The project: Back to bare metal, glass out, guards red, new seals all round, new bright work throughout, new rear reflector and lights, restored stainless hoop, electricals, new windscreen, new bellows for the bumpers. Wherever possible I will keep and restore/clean/polish the original item and if I get it to about 90% i will keep it. If not I will replace it with an OE Porsche part.

Stage 1. Restore cookie cutters back to how they were... Sand blasted, silver paint and centre caps (were black anodized in matte). I have painted to match. They are near perfect now, here is pic one of the restoration of the most common, rarest Porsche I know :)

image_zps0sprt6zv.jpeg

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/stu234/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps0sprt6zv.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

Stage 2. Bare metal pics to come tomorrow

Stage 2: taking it all back to bare metal ensuring all welds etc are good. I was astounded there was no rust or sign of any crash damage. The engine is good and the paint in the bay is original and near perfect so I am leaving that, I will however paint the sills etc,... I was told the guy loved the car, he bought it and picked up a lady days later in it (I can't believe I bought a one owner car, that's rare. That lady became his wife, she sold the car to me after he passed away, amazing story and car.

stage 3: will be to work on the hoop, I will post that later this week.

image_zpsxka7mpmf.jpeg

image_zpsjb9sojwa.jpeg

image_zpsejtdzn2z.jpeg

Stage 2: taking it all back to bare metal ensuring all welds etc are good. I was astounded there was no rust or sign of any crash damage. The engine is good and the paint in the bay is original and near perfect so I am leaving that, I will however paint the sills etc,... I was told the guy loved the car, he bought it and picked up a lady days later in it (I can't believe I bought a one owner car, that's rare. That lady became his wife, she sold the car to me after he passed away, amazing story and car.

stage 3: will be to work on the hoop, I will post that later this week.

image_zpsxka7mpmf.jpeg

image_zpsjb9sojwa.jpeg

image_zpsejtdzn2z.jpeg

Love it, what an awesome back story.

Hey guys thanks for the kind words. I am literally addicted to this car at the moment.

stage 3: is the brushed hoop. Mine was not in the best condition so sand blasting to clean it up and then I went to the kitchen and took all 10 Scotchbrite pads (synthetic steel wool). 

These brushed hoops are so beautiful in my eyes. I still have a little more to do but it is looking really good. Long straight stokes are what you need (no jokes please, I am married:)

image_zpsn38bvtb5.jpeg

stage 4: is next, all bright work to be done. I will polish it first for a smooth perfect finish 

Hey guys thanks for the kind words. I am literally addicted to this car at the moment.

stage 3: is the brushed hoop. Mine was not in the best condition so sand blasting to clean it up and then I went to the kitchen and took all 10 Scotchbrite pads (synthetic steel wool). 

These brushed hoops are so beautiful in my eyes. I still have a little more to do but it is looking really good. Long straight stokes are what you need (no jokes please, I am married:)

image_zpsn38bvtb5.jpeg

stage 4: is next, all bright work to be done. I will polish it first for a smooth perfect finish 

Love the look of the brushed hoops. 

Stage 4: Chrome... i hear so much about 'bright work' it seems to be either 'great' or needs work. Seems here is no in between. 

I needed the quarter windows and door handles done, headlight surrounds were dented so I got new ones and the trim in the rubber seals around the Windows bent as we took them out, so those are new too

The bright work was perfect on that match box car I was given by late father 35 years ago. Since that day I wanted this car and to me this chrome was possibly the most satisfying for me.

next is stage 5: seals and paint (it's actually done but Windows etc are not in yet

image_zpsebg64gr7.jpeg

image_zpsc7uootpg.jpeg

Stu same for me mate. Had poster on my wall as a 10 year. If only I had a bigger garage!

yes mate we all just need another garage and some cash ?

Stage 6: paint!

it was bad, there were second of bare teal the size of my hand. Rubbers were perished and it was not 'patina' it was bad.

So I took it all the way back to bare, every weld and join stripped bare, you can see those shots earlier in the thread

Then back to the original red - I love it

image_zpszwol7big.jpeg

I have had a lot of trouble putting in the rear screen. Apparently the targa window needs the equivalent of a highly disciplined monk trained in the ancient art of windscreen fitting... So Autohaus Hamilton are attempting that tomorrow

I'm on the home stretch now!

Imnot happy with the panel gaps on the drivers door but I am over dealing with the paint shop - any tips on who can align correctly in Syd - north side if possible

image_zpsn38bvtb5.jpeg

My first Pcar was a 1976s Targa with the stainless hoop, they look so good, going to love following this resto.

Stage 6: paint!

it was bad, there were second of bare teal the size of my hand. Rubbers were perished and it was not 'patina' it was bad.

So I took it all the way back to bare, every weld and join stripped bare, you can see those shots earlier in the thread

Then back to the original red - I love it

image_zpszwol7big.jpeg

I have had a lot of trouble putting in the rear screen. Apparently the targa window needs the equivalent of a highly disciplined monk trained in the ancient art of windscreen fitting... So Autohaus Hamilton are attempting that tomorrow

I'm on the home stretch now!

Imnot happy with the panel gaps on the drivers door but I am over dealing with the paint shop - any tips on who can align correctly in Syd - north side if possible

they do look great without the back window as per the original design.

Who was the paint shop?

it was Sharpline paint. Great job on the paint, amazing even... but poor on hanging the doors and replacing rubbers and electrical. 

Thanks on the kind words everybody, I do love the car, some of us really love the Targa. There is the emotional connection for me, I'm doing it for the Car... I have a 997 coupe which has enough performance for me to drive if that's what I want

Today I took my nearly restored Targa to Manly with my little family. Loved it! Wish the old man knew I bought and restored the real version of the matchbox car he gave me when I was 8.

There are still a few things to do Autohaus did a few little electrical bits for me when they put in the rear glass... that was only $3k ?

%5BURL=http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/stu234/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4377_zpswovzre8c.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/stu234/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4377_zpswovzre8c.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

URL]First drive with the family, news seals sorted on the Targa roof but the roof did not go on today!

%5BURL=http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/stu234/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4503_zps0qeb2emw.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/stu234/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4503_zps0qeb2emw.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Archived