What is it like to drive a pre-impact bumper 911?

Apogee

mine is 45 years old, has engine in the wrong place as per usual for 911's, and 331hp to push along 1050kg through tiny 225 width tyres.

so it's about as terrifying and utterly compromised as you'd expect really

You selling??

mine is 45 years old, has engine in the wrong place as per usual for 911's, and 331hp to push along 1050kg through tiny 225 width tyres.

did they come standard with 331hp?

did they come standard with 331hp?

the first turbo to crack the 330 hp mark wasn't until the 90s, so no.

A 2.2 911T had about 120hp standard. 

I doubt you could find more contrasting cars than a longhood Porsche 911 and a modern Boxster S.  One is a well engineered, superb handling powerful sports car.   The other is an ancient noisy, bumpy relic of a car with weird ergonomics, strange smells and a penchant for exiting the road backwards.

the first turbo to crack the 330 hp mark wasn't until the 90s, so no.

A 2.2 911T had about 120hp standard. 

I doubt you could find more contrasting cars than a longhood Porsche 911 and a modern Boxster S.  One is a well engineered, superb handling powerful sports car.   The other is an ancient noisy, bumpy relic of a car with weird ergonomics, strange smells and a penchant for exiting the road backwards.

BAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

so damn true!!

Having owned a 69 911S in my younger (single) days, I have to say it was a lot of fun. It was raw and basic but handled like it was on rails, but not without it's quirks. Not big on outright HP, but power to weight was enough to get into and out of trouble. 

It is totally different animal to the Boxter. I haven't driven a Boxter.

Having owned a 69 911S in my younger (single) days, I have to say it was a lot of fun. It was raw and basic but handled like it was on rails, but not without it's quirks. Not big on outright HP, but power to weight was enough to get into and out of trouble. 

It is totally different animal to the Boxter. I haven't driven a Boxter.

How'd the power go with the added weight of a curvacious swingin' babe with 5lbs of hairspray in her beehive (or 5lbs of hairgel in her big 80's hair)?:rolleyes:

I'm not that old? Bought the S in the late 70's, so the car was ten years old and hairstyles were more "natural" by that time, although fashion was still a bit weird.

Curvacious babe helped with balance the car,? but was also a brake?......just as it is in the 930?. Same part number too!

Hey clutch-m... just wondering if you're ok to discuss, can you tell us about your engine and that 331hp? How'd that happen?

Does anyone know how they are to drive compared to say a 987 boxster S? I am guessing that they are very visceral in nature and lots of fun. Are they similar to driving a 1600 Beetle? 

Nothing like an old beetle.  Noisier and less compliant than a Boxster.  However, even a swb 2.0 litre is a comfortable drive, easily handling modern traffic and day to day usage.  

All of the pre 74 911's have wonderful steering feel - one of the best attributes.  And the old lift off oversteer issue is far less of a problem when using modern rubber compounds. 

In my opinion, the sweet spot is about 200hp and circa 1000kgs (apols for mixed units).  My tarmac rally is car is about 260/960 and is a rocket but overkill for a street car. 

Hey clutch-m... just wondering if you're ok to discuss, can you tell us about your engine and that 331hp? How'd that happen?

3.6L 964 motor with supercup cams, mild headwork, custom exhaust and fabspeed muffler, haltech standalone ecu, ITB's, and I suspect a mildly happy dyno (I actually reckon it's closer to 310hp)

3.6L 964 motor with supercup cams, mild headwork, custom exhaust and fabspeed muffler, haltech standalone ecu, ITB's, and I suspect a mildly happy dyno (I actually reckon it's closer to 310hp)

nice one, did you buy it like that or get it done or diy?

I have 993 3.6L in mine but I read somewhere cos I have hydraulic lifters i can't update the cams like you have... Do you know the ins and outs on this? Sorry if this is off topic to the thread.....

nice one, did you buy it like that or get it done or diy?

I have 993 3.6L in mine but I read somewhere cos I have hydraulic lifters i can't update the cams like you have... Do you know the ins and outs on this? Sorry if this is off topic to the thread.....

evoblitz on here just went through this on his rebuild, it's very expensive to change cams on the 993 motor because of that yes. 

• 1 month later...

Nothing like a Boxster, or 996 or even 993 or 964 or even a 3.2 Carrera or SC. My 964RS was the closes thing to a modern spiritual successor to my '68 S SWB. For me the 2.4's were the sweet spot of perfection retaining the raw and visceral feel, but with a regular H 915 gearbox and the unique power delivery of MFI.

Even comparing a 912 to a Beetle is a massive generalisation of obvious similarities. It was still a prestige car for it's day compared to a Beetle which was the most basic. As someone noted, the power difference was not significant but a good 912 is still a joy to drive.

Your question has to be answered by experiencing the extremes. Get a drive in a good early car (not a basket one)  Boxsters are good and all but good original pre'74's are a unique driving experience and that's why they are sought after today.

@Apogee  I have an 81 911 SC and a 2015 Renault Megane RS265. Very different cars. The Renault is a blast at speed and on windy roads, but the 911 is just so much fun no matter where I drive it. I suspect the same would apply with your Boxster. 

30 years ago I owned a Viper Green 73 2.4S (sob)  it remains one of my fondest driving memories.

The steering is unique and was often called the "Porsche walk" it was a bit off putting untill you got used to it, but it personified the term feedback. It followed the undulations and you learnt to guide it and not fight it, in fact it talked to you through your hands

Mechanical injected engines make a unique sound and the throttle response is impressive, 2nd gear and floor the throttle from 4grand it would override any steering input even with XWX,s

Handling was far more sublime than all the press would have you believe, I did an advanced driver trading with Ian Luff and even he was stunned at how had it was to get the tail out, instead pushed it would lift the inside front wheel 4inches and you could feel it in the steering as it gained traction again.

The S had the ally front calipers latter used on the first Turbo series, and although not assisted had great feel.

The only real down side was the early cars don't have fresh air vents. Sadly years latter I discovered there was an Aircon option,

I have managed to contact the current owner who has had it for the last 29 years and it remains  his favorite Porsche amoungts his collection.

Some of you who have been in the NSW Porsche club for a while will know this car but it hasn't been seen for a couple of years.

Archived