Saying Goodbye to Porsche (For now at Least)

Jkay

Well it seems Ive decided to get rid of my 911 997 Turbo. It was and always be a great car, brilliantly engineered and does everything so well, almost too well.

I started to realise I had to be going faaaast to be enjoying myself. Australia is the wrong place to be going even at moderate speeds let alone fast. I still can't get my head around the fact that doing 70mph (112kmh) on an open empty multi lane highway in good dry conditions will likely get you a fine and demerit points. 

I pondered over a replacement and wanted something I could enjoy when not at warp speeds.

My new car isn't as fast, isn't engineered as well, won't go around a track as quickly, and objectively is probably worse in every way, but (to me) subjectively better. 

So goodbye 911 and Hello Aston. That sound is amazing and I love it. If you see me out and about anywhere I apologise for being "slow" holding you up :). The 1000W Bang & Olufsen Sound System and pop up tweeters are a nice touch, but I am still listening to that V8 overtime I drive

911 was GREAT, and if I lived at the foot of some great twisties then Id have kept it much longer, but I don't 

Anyway hope to see you all at various events around the state/country.

A few quick amateur snaps off my iPhone 

IMG_3641.jpg
IMG_3702.jpg

Cheers
Jkay

Nice car! A V8 is so mellifluous.

Agree re modern sports cars. Way too capable for most conditions. Unless you have ready access to twisty roads like me , but then you have tourists with hire Astras , 4wds and caravans ..and cyclists...

Yes it is indeed the V8 Vantage. $90k would get you an early 4.3 car and the updated 4.7 from c2008 on are a bit more. 

Newer cars slightly used advertised around the 200k mark

yep tazzieman cyclists too lol. My favourite roads are always full of them making it hard to go anywhere at weekends to enjoy the Porsche. Wish I had access to roads like yours :)

Nice car! A V8 is so mellifluous.

Agree re modern sports cars. Way too capable for most conditions. Unless you have ready access to twisty roads like me , but then you have tourists with hire Astras , 4wds and caravans ..and cyclists...

Or Subaru Foresters trying to gate crash your "relaxed" sunday drive....... :wacko:

Car looks great and I don't rate as a step down. Aston's look amazing and as you say sound amazing too :) - a modern day iteration of a 928.... ;)

Aston's look amazing and as you say sound amazing too :) - a modern day iteration of a 928.... ;)

Wither the new Porsche 928? They may have missed the boat there, using the 911 as their GT competition. Not sure how long the world will tolerate anything with more than 4 cylinders.

Wither the new Porsche 928? They may have missed the boat there, using the 911 as their GT competition. Not sure how long the world will tolerate anything with more than 4 cylinders.

Do Porsche need another car model? Talks will go on forever about the "new 928"..... I think brands like Aston have that sector firmly sewn up :) I will say it again, they make gorgeous looking cars :)

yep tazzieman cyclists too lol. My favourite roads are always full of them making it hard to go anywhere at weekends to enjoy the Porsche. Wish I had access to roads like yours :)

PFA Tassy tour 2017...

There a handful of Astons (& old Porsche Martins) kicking around down here. And

14606472_1131956033579218_17170914370676

I must admit I have been contemplating a similar move with a manual v12 vantage for that same smiles per miles equation. Will be looking forward to hearing about your driving and ownership experience...  Awesome looking (and sounding) car and it better be a manual!

Haha well, I went out looking for a manual, completely expecting to hate the Sportshift plus Ive always loved manual cars. Went and they had a few to test drive, so I thought it would be rude to not sample what the sport shift had to offer.

I can't explain why, but I actually really liked the Sportshift II. There is some technique involved, having to lift off the accelerator when changing gear etc, but I strangely liked how mechanical the whole process seemed. Weird I know and light years behind a PDK, but I liked it for some reason. Once you get the technique its really smooth, but requires work. You also have to let the car do a clutch learn procedure on start up (wait for a small click a few seconds after start), another idiosyncrasy which just adds to the character of the car. The Porsche is just so much more efficient at all this which is why its the best single car for many out there. 

That plus the Sportshift one was better specced plus part of some limited edition with the 1000W Sound system, soft touch leather(apparently previously only available on the one-77), and had wheels I loved. The black manual one is still for sale. 

The interior is also a wonderful place to be. You feel very cocooned in and surrounded by luxury. The front is very long so is harder to see out of than the 911, but seeing out the front is over rated anyway. 

Another thing which I like is (minor point I know) is that the Aston doesn't seem to scrape where the Porsche used to. Both stock suspension, but there seems to be less overhang on the front with the Aston. 

I also find this way more comfortable than my 997 was. It soaks up the bumps much better and is just more relaxing to drive, if you like that sort of thing. Ive had a few late night blasts down to Watsons bay, just gliding along enjoying that V8 growl. Unless I push hard, I personally don't feel that much of a gap handling wise, although I do not doubt for a second the Aston will be slower. 

The 997 Turbo would devour the Aston and leave it far behind, but I am happy here at the back. 

Haha well, I went out looking for a manual, completely expecting to hate the Sportshift plus Ive always loved manual cars. Went and they had a few to test drive, so I thought it would be rude to not sample what the sport shift had to offer.

I can't explain why, but I actually really liked the Sportshift II. There is some technique involved, having to lift off the accelerator when changing gear etc, but I strangely liked how mechanical the whole process seemed. Weird I know and light years behind a PDK, but I liked it for some reason. Once you get the technique its really smooth, but requires work. You also have to let the car do a clutch learn procedure on start up (wait for a small click a few seconds after start), another idiosyncrasy which just adds to the character of the car. The Porsche is just so much more efficient at all this which is why its the best single car for many out there. 

That plus the Sportshift one was better specced plus part of some limited edition with the 1000W Sound system, soft touch leather(apparently previously only available on the one-77), and had wheels I loved. The black manual one is still for sale. 

The interior is also a wonderful place to be. You feel very cocooned in and surrounded by luxury. The front is very long so is harder to see out of than the 911, but seeing out the front is over rated anyway. 

Another thing which I like is (minor point I know) is that the Aston doesn't seem to scrape where the Porsche used to. Both stock suspension, but there seems to be less overhang on the front with the Aston. 

I also find this way more comfortable than my 997 was. It soaks up the bumps much better and is just more relaxing to drive, if you like that sort of thing. Ive had a few late night blasts down to Watsons bay, just gliding along enjoying that V8 growl. Unless I push hard, I personally don't feel that much of a gap handling wise, although I do not doubt for a second the Aston will be slower. 

The 997 Turbo would devour the Aston and leave it far behind, but I am happy here at the back. 

All sounds a bit like old P-car ownership (are you sure you are ready :lol: ??

What are the most common problems experienced by Aston Martin Vantage V8 owners?

3 Answers

Daniel Crain
Daniel Crainobsessed car guy, R8, Cayman, Aston Martin Vantage (traded), and many others

I know way too much about this, for better or worse.

The cars are pretty solid overall, which still amazes me.  These are the things I experienced.

The Sportshift transmission is an abomination against humanity.  It works, don't get me wrong, but it works horribly.  Its low speed behavior, especially around town, is horrendous, and downright dangerous, as it mis-shifts or sometimes doesn't engage at all.  Aston Martin tells people they aren't operating it correctly, which is absurd, seeing as its a freakin auto shifter.  There's nothing to operate.  Cars role backwards down hills (not kidding), and first gear doesn't engage correctly.

The clutch is another abomination.  They fail, and its a known weak spot.  The sportshift and manual use the same clutch, with different actuating mechanisms.  Clutches are know to catastrophically fail and take the flywheel with it.  Aston of course claims the dog ate their homework as it concerns the clutch.

Brakes squeak.  They work well, but they howl like crazy, especially rears.

The handbrake is an odd throwback to 1950s British sports cars, and it works occasionally.  It has a personality for sure, and you and the handbrake mechanism must come to an understanding, otherwise, you're not going anywhere, especially if you expect to use it as a hill holder if you have the Sportshift and expect not to reverse rear end someone (not making this up)

The electronics are incredibly old school and somewhat convoluted.  There are a number of digital controllers all over the car that do all sorts of things.  There's a reason that Aston recommends a trickle charger on the battery during periods when you may not use the car, because if the battery goes dead, then some or all of the controllers lose their minds and don't reboot properly, leading to failed subsystems.  The most common of these if the convertible top controller, which costs like $2000 US to replace.

The trunk latch mechanism forgets its a trunk latch mechanism sometimes, and refuses to open.

The hood latch mechanism forgets its a hood latch mechanism and conspires with the trunk latch mechanism and refuses to open.

The sun visors are the size of a matchbook, or maybe even a match stick.  Completely useless.

The door glass forgets to go up and down that tiny bit it needs to to clear the weatherstripping.  I think the doors are in cohoots with the trunk and hood latch mechanisms.

The radio software is incredibly convoluted, but not much more than most cars of the era.  But it works, and actually sounds really good if you have the upgraded system

You asked!

But now for the good, the cars are just beautiful and uncommon.  They go like hell, and sound amazing.  They have a subtleness that is just totally unique in the industry, and the V8 in particular, has an incredible weight balance with incredible chassis dynamics and the best damn steering turn-in and transient response I've ever felt.

I've driven a number of them, and owned a V8 Vantage.  I traded it because the Sportshift is so horrible, that it ruined the car.  Lots of people hate the transmission too, its the most criticized part of the car by a wide margin.

I should have bought a manual transmission, and have been looking for another either Vantage or DB9 with a manual, but there simply aren't that many good examples in the US, as the horrific sportshift was fitted to most of them.

Overall, its a pretty great and unique car, and I look forward to owning another one, as long as it doesn't have that dreadful gearbox in it

Lol yes I read those very posts when doing my research, and wasn't even considering a sport shift because of this. Key is not to treat it as an auto, but just to think of it as a manual with little men inside running around in a flurry changing the gears for you. Your job is just to lift off the throttle when necessary. 

Drive it like a torque converter auto/twin clutch system, and you'll hate it

Edited to add:  It has a hold function (applies brakes to stop you rolling down an incline when stopped on a slope), but it doesn't engage if the incline isn't steep enough. Other wise it will roll down just like a manual would with 1st engaged and clutch fully depressed. 

Sounds a bit like driving the old M5 with the SMG box, anticipate When it would shift (I still don't understand why someone ever thought you needed 7 different transmission modes) a little lift of the right foot and it could be quite engaging, smooth and satisfying. Enjoy the car and all those little men running around in a flurry ?

• 4 months later...

Hi any updates to this?

do you know if the manual Vantage's have a hill holder as well?

These are still one of the most gorgeous cars on the road by far - I've been watching their prices with interest for years.

I've just sold my 2016 Golf R (Tuned & dsg gearbox) for similar reasons you sold your 997 - it was way too fast for the road & boring to drive unless going crazy speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived