Hypothetically speaking...

Apogee

A friend posed this hypothetical question to me recently...and in all honesty I couldn't make a clear decision.

If you were given a choice of two cars (both free to you) and you could only pick one. Which one would you pick?

1. A Camry with a Lamborghini Aventador V12 engine (lets just say for hypothetical reasons that the Camry can handle the engine).

2. A Lamborghini Aventador with a Camry engine.

And since this is a Porsche forum, just substitute the Lamborghini with something as desirable from Porsche. Perhaps the engine from a 918.

Definitely the latter. 

A $500,000 car with a $10,000 engine is still worth more than a $10,000 car with a $100,000 engine.

In other words, let's look at that 458 swapped Toyota 86 - it's still a Toyota 86 and won't be worth more than the sum of its parts. 

Definitely the latter. 

A $500,000 car with a $10,000 engine is still worth more than a $10,000 car with a $100,000 engine.

In other words, let's look at that 458 swapped Toyota 86 - it's still a Toyota 86 and won't be worth more than the sum of its parts. 

Yep, what he said.:D

The Lambo, then save the cash to put a twin turbo 7 litre (Stroked HSV 6.2) in it. Keep it in the garage and just admire it like art until I could afford the engine swap. It would sound amazing and still fly. HSVENTADOR. 

There's no way I'd have anything to do with a Camry, I hate Camry's & their drivers. There should be a dna test pre birth to determine if your likely to drive a Camry then you could be terminated! Could be a step too far, suppose I'd be walking then.

There's no way I'd have anything to do with a Camry, I hate Camry's & their drivers. There should be a dna test pre birth to determine if your likely to drive a Camry then you could be terminated! Could be a step too far, suppose I'd be walking then.

I hear they hate Porsche drivers too ..... Like everybody else!

I hear they hate Porsche drivers too ..... Like everybody else!

They don't hate Porsche drivers, they don't even know what Porsches are, just like they don't know what a car is that's  why the use a Camry to get from A to B. AND Don't get me started on Aurion owners, just a step away from the famous Avalon.

a lamborghini with a camry motor may as well be a poser's kit car. may as well get engine noise piped into the cabin by speakers like modern cars :lol:

a camry with a lamborghini motor would make for a hilarious sleeper, and not get looked at twice by police. would have a lot of fun with that.

hell, if we're substituting the lambo part for a current porsche, the modern watercooled 911 stuff sounds like a sewing machine with a stock exhaust, until the upper revs anyway, so no one would realise until too late.

on the flip side, the toyo V6's are good enough for lotus so your average middle management with a leased 911 likely would never notice the swap on their morning run for over priced coffee.

i'd still take the sleeper.

A Camry with an Aventador engine would be woeful. Firstly, a Camry is front wheel drive and the weight of the V12 over the front wheels would make for a deplorable weight distribution. Secondly, given that the proposed question was only an engine swap, the standard brakes, chassis and suspension would no cope at all.

Anyone with a whiff of engineering nous would opt for the slower, better handling Lambo I suspect <_<

A friend posed this hypothetical question to me recently...and in all honesty I couldn't make a clear decision.

If you were given a choice of two cars (both free to you) and you could only pick one. Which one would you pick?

1. A Camry with a Lamborghini Aventador V12 engine (lets just say for hypothetical reasons that the Camry can handle the engine).

2. A Lamborghini Aventador with a Camry engine.

And since this is a Porsche forum, just substitute the Lamborghini with something as desirable from Porsche. Perhaps the engine from a 918.

On second thoughts..... I will choose the Panamera as my base...... So I will take the entire drivetrain from a V8 Panamera and drop into the "camry" I will then enhance the body to mimic the Panamera and to finish it off I will modernize the interior....maybe in a Panmara theme :P

So just give me a Panamera with a Toyota badge and lets call it even :D

A Camry with an Aventador engine would be woeful. Firstly, a Camry is front wheel drive and the weight of the V12 over the front wheels would make for a deplorable weight distribution. Secondly, given that the proposed question was only an engine swap, the standard brakes, chassis and suspension would no cope at all.

Anyone with a whiff of engineering nous would opt for the slower, better handling Lambo I suspect <_<

a good point, given the parameters of the first post i'd have thought it would have been 'made to work' in a sense.

would still be a lot more laughs than a lamborghini with an economy motor (christ you'd look like a proper twat driving that)

I would have assumed something more along the lines of the Magna that was on the cover of Street Machine magazine 10 or so years ago, which from memory had a massive V8 in it and was converted to RWD. 

Either way, it would basically come down to what the parts resale would be for me. I think the body would be worth more than the engine, so I would probably take the body. 

If I had to keep it, I think to drive the Camry, but you could always have the Lambo as some sexy garage art ;) 

For me, forget which make for a moment, because I believe that misses the point. I would take a stealth car over a supercar with a small engine transplant any day of the week. The supercar option is nothing more than a pose. Stealth cars, and I have had a few over the years, is so much fun.

I'd take the stealth option every day.  I'm already livng it in a way in my 1980 RX7 menacing and passing mega dollar McLarens etc.  I love it when the guy in the next pit garage looks down his nose at the old green shitter only to eat a fat slice of humble pie when I drive past his McLaren.  $20k beats $500k......it's a blast.

Archived