Wide Body Hotrod Build

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, TP-993 said:

I am not sure if I am on the right thread. It seems you are actually doing something and getting your hands dirty. I thought you swore an oath to just talk Sh!t. I am impressed. 

Thanks Timmy.  I think....

58 minutes ago, symsy said:

Yes Polish  are quite attractive ...interesting 

borat_zps0j4ksilh.jpeg

Well said.  You and Borat have the same sorta ways of getting the message across :P

11 hours ago, TrevMcRev said:

Diggin the black stained wood! As Borat would say....very niiiice!

Naice!  This is my favourite.

Well the door glass frames were much less fun than the rear qtr windows. These are 2 uprights at the front of the glass and on one the black don’t come off halfway up the piece. I’m assuming that’s black anodising, but only half the piece? Adding to the fun is the glue residue used to hold the glass channel in place. What a mess!

The rest of the door frames seem painted so I just need more evil paint stripper to get that part of the job done. That shit burns your skin through double thickness disposable gloves!

All pieces will need a good professional strip to get everything off them but at least I now know what lurks beneath which will help my cause with possibly the hardest to deal with type of person I’ve come across, the electroplater.

So how does one strip anodising? Mechanically I’m guessing?

IMG_2086-L.jpg

In other news Skunk have installed their Classic Retrofit electric AC and apparently it works a treat B). Good news, if not expected.

@Jonny Retrofit

On 11/26/2017 at 10:55 PM, TrevMcRev said:

Those are some nice looking tomato's

You should see my juicy mangos.

On the advice of the veneer guys I tried epoxy to laminate the veneer to 1.6mm flat alu and it works really well, except it's messy and bled through the veneer when I clamped it.  I'll give it another go as I've got plenty of raw materials and suspect I used too much glue so will see if I can improve my work.  The epoxy dries very hard so it stabilises the edges of the veneer and they can be sanded back 100% flat so they look perfect against the die straight angles.

Rivers of epoxy

IMG_2157-L.jpg

IMG_2265-L.jpg

IMG_2267-L.jpg

In another development there is this stuff from Polytec.  Looks really good and would wear well and the finish is totally perfect and mega glossy.  The sample comes pressed on 3mm board but the stuff you can buy comes on 18mm sheets...It's like a paper that's pressed onto boards so you can't buy it like a benchtop laminate and stick it to your substrate of choice.  I guess I could buy a sheet and use the router to mill down the board from 18mm to 3mm, but that's a lot of stuffing around and cost.

IMG_2261-L.jpg

Lastly there is this which is a High Pressure Laminate (HLP) that does come in a sheet that you can cut and laminate.  You got to buy a big sheet and it ain't cheap and then you've got to use a panel saw with the right blade to cut it with a nice edge.  This product has a texture and is satin (verging to matt).  Both these options would be more robust and less home made looking than the stained veneer.

IMG_2258-L.jpg

So I reduced the width of the flat to 69mm and then milled 100mm of depth off the angles and glued it all together using contact adhesive. I then grabbed my 964 vent and trial fitted it. It’s too tight so the flat needs to be 70mm so the vent fits properly. Also I found out the clamping leaves marks on the clear coat on the veneer so I’ll have to find another way of protecting it while clamping. The clips on the vents fall in exactly the wrong spot so I’m not sure how the vent will actually fix once it’s all in the dash.

Next step is to get the angle depth (protrusion) milled down and polished and getting the anodising to look ‘correct’. 

Looks pretty good to me.

IMG_2545-L.jpg

IMG_2554-L.jpg

IMG_2553-L.jpg

IMG_2556-L.jpg

IMG_2549-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, x-faktory said:

3.6 is a thing of beauty Nick...........is it too late to provide a color option for the 911? How about Willow Green.........(my old 914)

regards,

al

914X.jpg

G’day Al, locals here will wearily tell you the decision is not made yet. I’ve got Willow on the list, but locals will point out that not much isn’t. I think green is the way I’ll go but which one? 

9 hours ago, MFX said:

Uuuugh, not green surely....

....we can't let you get off that easy. We need at least another 30 pages of colour speculation or a Porsche fairy will die :Chuckle2:

Chartreuse is green bro :Confused02:

7 hours ago, GregAx said:

It’s Irish Green!

4 hours ago, Raven said:

I thought Pork Chop  had decided on a color .............:Chuckle2:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ha. I have not :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Archived