Wide Body Hotrod Build

Re the steering wheel, specifically the "concertina yuk". The plastic 'concertina' sheath is for covering a hub provides you a bit of protection in a collision, as they are designed to collapse.

Maybe replace the "concertina yuk", with a leather sheath to make it look nice?  One that still allows the hub to work as designed?

Or just do a bit of a search as you can buy the solid type ones online.....

I wanted to make a leather cover, was shouted down for wanting such, I just put the "concertina"
type on, it does for now but may re-visit a cover.....

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re the steering wheel, specifically the "concertina yuk". The plastic 'concertina' sheath is for covering a hub provides you a bit of protection in a collision, as they are designed to collapse.

Maybe replace the "concertina yuk", with a leather sheath to make it look nice?  One that still allows the hub to work as designed?

Great point which I was across but I'd rationalised it the same way to do when you choose to drive a non-airbag car.  But I like the idea of a leather cover.  I'll look into that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

My blower has been deleted from bay, air straight into SSI through modified tin and the heat is perfect. Ignore the other messy bits..19366534_843088179177932_799982178064999

Will, those orange pipes are what feed your heat exchangers.  The shroud design supports them being used with the factory plenum or ITBs.  The design of the 3.6l shroud does not allow the same set up, so hence my problem.  Have a look at my engine images and you'll see what I mean.

Looks like even Singer didn't bother to do away with the plastic concertina.  You'll be a trail-blazer!

Sounds bad.  If Singer ain't gone there, should I??...Probably for the reason you stated - safety.  Singer can't be selling a mass designed and sold product that isn't good in a crash.  I, on the other hand, am totally free to be reckless about my own health and safety.

Will, those orange pipes are what feed your heat exchangers.  The shroud design supports them being used with the factory plenum or ITBs.  The design of the 3.6l shroud does not allow the same set up, so hence my problem.  Have a look at my engine images and you'll see what I mean.

Sounds bad.  If Singer ain't gone there, should I??...Probably for the reason you stated - safety.  Singer can't be selling a mass designed and sold product that isn't good in a crash.  I, on the other hand, am totally free to be reckless about my own health and safety.

Singer-1994-Porsche-911-Minnesota-steeri

They use the standard sparco boss and cover

Forgive me for pointing this  if it has been posted before ,,,but the classic retro fit AC units that Jonny Hart sells dose give out warm AC air for demisting and so on ....That would be all I would need in a Hot Rod 911 ....I have had many 70,s muscle cars that have had no heat ...

Also I am certain there is and aftermarket electric unit available for the classic air cooled 911 s  ,,,I know Demon Tweeks do a 12v 600 watt electric unit for Race car applications ,both circuit racing and rally ...worth a look 

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/cockpit-ventilation/demon-tweeks-12v-600w-ducted-electric-cab-heater

Forgive me for pointing this  if it has been posted before ,,,but the classic retro fit AC units that Jonny Hart sells dose give out warm AC air for demisting and so on ....That would be all I would need in a Hot Rod 911 ....I have had many 70,s muscle cars that have had no heat ...

Also I am certain there is and aftermarket electric unit available for the classic air cooled 911 s  ,,,I know Demon Tweeks do a 12v 600 watt electric unit for Race car applications ,both circuit racing and rally ...worth a look 

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/cockpit-ventilation/demon-tweeks-12v-600w-ducted-electric-cab-heater

Your comments are welcome. I’ve checked in with Jonny to see how I can resolve the heat challenge so if you’re right I’d expect he’d point that out when he replies. I’ll think the DT suggestion has been made above and may be a good option. Cheers.

Classic retrofit air relies on the normal heat - the difference is that it can mix the AC air with the heat exchanger air to produce demist air.  Not possible with normal 911 air because AC vents are separate from demist vents.

But the classic retrofit unit does not 'reverse cycle' to produce warm air - mores the pity.

Classic retrofit air relies on the normal heat - the difference is that it can mix the AC air with the heat exchanger air to produce demist air.  Not possible with normal 911 air because AC vents are separate from demist vents.

But the classic retrofit unit does not 'reverse cycle' to produce warm air - mores the pity.

Word on the street is CR are working on the heating solution as well as some cool control systems.

Sand Beige:wub:

Sand%20Beige%20IV-L.jpg

Apparently SPAL make good centrifugal blowers and I'm wondering if they could be packaged sorta like this pic.  They're $115 USD plus freight so it'll start adding up and in the end I don't know if they can be packaged in the space that's really available.  The have speed controllers but it's sounding a little complicated.  Perhaps the 964RS heater pipe detail is the lesser of all evils all around.

Twin%20Blowers.jpg

Sand beige with black interior ???

How about a billet cover that screws onto the collapsible metal bit instead of the rubbery cover? Some PVC plumbing downpipe the same size painted black? ?

And in steering wheel boss news I've bought a Momo item which is about 90mm long which is almost exactly what I need for an ideal reach.  The 914 wheel has the exact hole pattern as a momo wheel and therefore boss so it'll bolt straight up.  So I can enjoy the benefits of not being impaled on my steering wheel if I bin it, but that means I've got to figure out how to make the concertina cover less ugly.  Again a matter of the lesser of evils.  If a better option pops up I've got a lovely Momo 370mm wheel I can use the boss for in any case.

Sand beige with black interior ???

How about a billet cover that screws onto the collapsible metal bit instead of the rubbery cover? Some PVC plumbing downpipe the same size painted black? ?

The King of Ghetto!  I love it.  Did you see my suggestion about cutting the end off a black stubby holder?

This is the other wheel I've got.  370mm Momo.

IMG_1067-L.jpg

IMG_1068-L.jpg

IMG_1069-L.jpg

Liking that Momo! 

Saw the stubby holder suggestion. I might be deemed as Ghetto (fair enough) but even I'm not THAT dodgy to use a stubby holder!.....probably ?

All ya need is the outside diameter of the boss and desired length, and someone could 3d print something. I'm  sure StewF could sort that out pretty easily

Liking that Momo! 

Saw the stubby holder suggestion. I might be deemed as Ghetto (fair enough) but even I'm not THAT dodgy to use a stubby holder!.....probably ?

All ya need is the outside diameter of the boss and desired length, and someone could 3d print something. I'm  sure StewF could sort that out pretty easily

I got a 3D printer.  Why didn't I think of that!!

Don't give me that. You have chopping board pedals, so a stubby holder steering boss, and a wooden spoon gear stick would be perfectly 'Lee Ghetto' :P 

Don't give me that. You have chopping board pedals, so a stubby holder steering boss, and a wooden spoon gear stick would be perfectly 'Lee Ghetto' :P 

Big mouth! ? ( I was hoping people had a short memory ?)

Funny you mention the gearstick, as I have been trying to come up with some sort of 150mm extension so my knob is closer to yank on. Think I will just get a 200mm longer knob ?

I got a 3D printer.  Why didn't I think of that!!

I just measured the boss up by the wheel that is covered by the rubbery thing. Reckon it's pretty close to 90mm mate, so I'd be heading to Bunnings for some 90mm downpipe. Sorted! ?

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date especially seeing as your working on the Z now!

Be keen to see the results of the engine work ! Did Neil give you an ETA for all of it to be done?

Thanks mate. Nick has a heap of projects on the go, but I don't think a Z is one of them ;) 

Archived