Wide Body Hotrod Build

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes FFS don't tell me it's wrong!!!  Their pedals work the same way ours do but the rod that goes from the accelerator pedal to the centre rod (that goes aft) is different.  That piece I got from a UK wrecker and is RHD specific.  If you're going to let me down, be gentle alright?

Chartreuse 'Rolla

IMG_9059-L.jpg

Just wanted to say I am now suffering from Baader-Meinhoff illusion after reading this - i have seen chartreuse corollas everywhere.  I think it's a sign and this color should be chosen.

That fan housing looks great in grey (mine has been painted cacky red).

Who renovates these in Melbourne?

Thanks.  A gun shop of all places.  Because the fan and housing is mag most places won't touch it.  It's a Cerakoat finish.  If yours is painted or worse powercoated to need to get it stripped which is a bit of a PITA as the metal is soft.  I personally got charged a bit to strip mine down but maybe the gun shop didn't know how to do that properly?  It's not core business for them so it's touch and go getting it done,  If you're serious PM me and I'll give them a call for you as I've done 3 now and it'll be easier for me to front end it for you.

Dudes, I'm missing the top piece of the fan shroud.  Anyone got one for meFan%20Shroud%20Missing%20Piece-L.jpg?  Cheers.

Pork Chops ..... this looks like is going to be amazing.

We met very briefly a few weeks ago at Healesville after the SMT. I was riding shotgun in a mates new purchase .... a pale blue SC. Was really interested in your lovely little brown SC but didn't get a chance to ask much about it. Only take a couple of photos.

Have subsequently seen some stuff around the engine you had built for it etc.

Have also now seen this Wide Body Hotrod build you're doing.

Not wanting to be intrusive or anything .... but given you are clearly over time and over budget in this next little Wide Body Hotrod project  (Your words) ?????? ....... . any chance you're looking to 

Cheers

Gus

Pork Chops ..... this looks like is going to be amazing.

We met very briefly a few weeks ago at Healesville after the SMT. I was riding shotgun in a mates new purchase .... a pale blue SC. Was really interested in your lovely little brown SC but didn't get a chance to ask much about it. Only take a couple of photos.

Have subsequently seen some stuff around the engine you had built for it etc.

Have also now seen this Wide Body Hotrod build you're doing.

Not wanting to be intrusive or anything .... but given you are clearly over time and over budget in this next little Wide Body Hotrod project  (Your words) ?????? ....... . any chance you're looking to 

Cheers

Gus

Hey Gus, I'll take it as a compliment :).  Behind budget and timeline means I've got to be more patient, which is tough in a digital age.  The SC is more a labour of love than a car to me, so right now so sale.  Who knows what the future holds though :).  Nick.

In other news I've been making sure @GUT does not get high on his own supply and lifting this little beauty of his hands.  Trial fit will happen on Tuesday and all being well I'll keep it.  Think I'll go for the butterfly horn pad and will consider disassembling the wheel and adding a big spacer at the back to pull it closer to me (short ass).  Ultimately I'll get it double covered to give me a fatter grip.  Highlight red stitching? or is that a little avant guard / nouveaux riche?

IMG_0814-L.jpg

IMG_0817-L.jpg

IMG_0813-L.jpg

Can understand you feeling that way about the SC ...... but if you change your mind ... come to

me first !!! ?????? Looking

for something that can be driven .... and your SC certainly fits that bill!!

And back on this thread ..... Love the steering wheel.

Steering wheel fits the column.  I need an 80mm spacer to make the wheel fall to my hands perfectly so I'm looking at making one up.  80mm deep, 100mm diameter, machined from billet aluminium.  Drill out the factory rivets and separate the horn ring from the wheel and the spline flange on the back (3 pieces).  Then bolt the spacer in the middle and reassemble.  That way I get a nice solid looking extension and no concertina yuk and exactly to my specs.  Probably finish it in black wrinkle paint.  The spline flange (the piece on the back of the wheel) is 102mm diameter so will need to be machined down to 100mm to make it fit the spacer perfectly (billet aluminium will be much easier to get at 100mm diameter).  So far the challenges I can see are the fixings I use between the spline flange and the spacer need to be flush and there is not a lot of meat in the spline flange for counter sinking, and the other is the horn mechanism.  The horn buttons are nowhere near long enough so if I'm to make it work via the normal horn pad I'll need to have an 80mm extension made for the switch...

IMG_0962-L.jpg

IMG_0941-L.jpg

IMG_0937-L.jpg

Another challenge I've just figured out (me dumb) is how to have heat and hot looking engine bay.  The missing upper shroud piece got me thinking about this and unless you go for something like the below image (supplied by Patrick MS) you don't get any heat as nothing is blowing air through the heat exchangers.  Ain't no way I'm using those fugly rabbit ear hoses things, but given I'm in Melbourne and soft I need proper heat.  So what to do?  I've got a few half baked ideas but anyone solved this problem before?

Rabbit%20Ears.jpg

Ghetto for sure ?or as I'm  known by a couple of clowns,  Magnus Wanker 

I heard they often drop the Magnus bit...:ph34r:

This is a better option than dem rabbit ears but still not great.  I suppose the black hose method could be done very cheaply and even I could spanner than on and off fairly quickly.  Just buy the Rennline block off plates for when it's not being used in the warmer seasons.  I wonder if the hot air may be sucked through with the movement of the car.  At least enough to get some heat?

2004877a.jpg

ianbypass-L.jpg

Nice!  Then I can use proper headers and not the SSIs!  Wish I know about this before.

Re the steering wheel, specifically the "concertina yuk". The plastic 'concertina' sheath is for covering a hub provides you a bit of protection in a collision, as they are designed to collapse.

Maybe replace the "concertina yuk", with a leather sheath to make it look nice?  One that still allows the hub to work as designed?

Archived