Wide Body Hotrod Build

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2,000klm engine seems to be VERY dirty....and a broken head stud, and water and shit in the heads. Should be pulled apart down to the case shortly and we'll see what exactly what we're dealing with.

IMG_7229-L.jpg

Lakewell interior has turned up. Everything nappa leather except the head lining. Door cards are RS with with elasticated pockets and again in sweet smelling leather. All turned up super quick and is excellent quality.

IMG_7226-L.jpg

IMG_7224-L.jpg

IMG_7225-L.jpg

Case has been apart before and the rod bolts have been done. It's running 'small' cams so that will have to change to those run in the IROC series cars. Heads are off for a clean up and otherwise we're good to go. Must make a decision about rocker cover coating and fibreglass fan colour.

So once it's back together it'll be exciting to see the PMO ITBs go on top of this engine and see how they look compared to the Triumphs.

IMG_7275-L.jpg

Cam covers etc are likely to go Cerakote as they are a mix of mag and aluminium and the top set are red. Ewww. Fan shrouds on these guys is black plastic which has a utilitarian look which I kinda like. And it's cheap and easy so may go this way.

Turns out the case has been boat tailed which is a win and the chain guides are not worn so looks like it might be fresher than first thought. Pistons and barrels are fine too.

Finally got my SSIs, door mirrors, 3.2C calipers and the rotors. Had the rotors cross drilled so they look cooler.

IMG_7281-L.jpg

IMG_7283-L.jpg

IMG_7284-L.jpg

IMG_7287-L.jpg

When will we see some color go onto the car ..............?

Not any time soon.  Essentially the car will get to the stage where it will go on the dyno and a safe tune established, and then go back to the paint / resto workshop and it'll get body paint and assembled.  Then we'll go through the engineering and registration process etc and then fine tuning of everything.  All before Xmas!  Not.  So because of this process, allowed by having a black chassis, it may be months before a colour is selected.  But I promise I won't talk about colour again so no need to be scared :).

So much to do.  Engine needs cleaning, refurbing, assembling, LSD installed into the gearbox, pedal box, shifter housing, shifter rod, masters, slaves, hydraulic lines, brakes, looms, electric AC, exhaust, and a thousand small fiddly bits all need doing before it hits the dyno.

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress while the SC is getting the engine sorted.  Gearbox is complete.  I ordered a hi-torque starter from Patrick cos apparently they sound really cool and are less money than refurbing what I've got.  Engine is waiting for the new headstuds to arrive and then goes together with all the ITB and EFI stuff.  I've bought some G50 shifter stuff including pedal box from a US wrecker, a whole bunch of misc parts from Patrick including throttle linkages and finally the pedal to center of car part of the throttle linkages from a UK wrecker as they are RHD specific.  Not cheap.  Not quick.  Not than fun TBH!  Oil cooler and clutch and flywheel are all in and I've got a pre-bent brakeline kit coming in shortly so things will start progressing again starting with fitting the hydraulic systems to the car.

I've been considering these 2 fabrics for the GT3 seat centre cushions, or perhaps a traditional houndstooth.  Something plain and black but a bit more sparkle than black Nomex.  

IMG_8481-L.jpg

And to get back to what colour....I've been going around in circles again and loving these recently.  Try not to hate me.

IMG_8476-M.jpg

IMG_8473-M.jpg

IMG_8480-M.jpg

Ivory%20901%20IV-M.jpg

Take your time mate, no rush ?

Pork chop picking colours

Quoted for truth.

Archived