Wide Body Hotrod Build

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been paying attention, what are the colour choices again? 

You shouldn't ask.  Jade and Fraise are still in the running.  As the '73 RSRs were made from RSs, the most I'm allowing myself is the colours used on the RSs.  RSR colours are quite limited as most privateers bought white and put stickers on them.

Of the following supposed list of RS colours, my favourites are Jade, Fraise, Light Yellow, Signal Yellow, Signal Orange, Tangerine & Gulf Blue.  Olive Green and Lilac are also nice but I doubt it.  Of these RS colours I like, only Light Yellow, Signal Yellow, Signal Orange, Tangerine & Gulf Blue were made into RSRs, so something from this short list would be most correct.  Correct isn't essential, but it's better.

Series Colors 1973
Aubergine 16, Bahia Red 42, Dalmation Blue 55, Light Ivory 160, Light Yellow 296, Sepia Brown 19, Signal Yellow 87, Tangerine 126, Viper Green 79, Special Order Colors 1973, Beige Gray 0, Black 62, Chartreuse 23, Glacier Blue 16, Grand Prix White 7, Grand Prix White/Blue 205, Grand Prix White/Green 60
 Grand Prix White/Red 185, Gulf Blue 18, Gulf Orange 25, India Red 30, Irish Green 12, Ivory 0, Leaf Green 2, Light Green 11, Lilac 16, Olive 4, Raspberry 4 (aka Fraise in 1973), Signal Orange 5, Special Colors 15, (Paint to Sample), Total 1580

Check out this thing!  Hnnnngggg.  Only thing I don't like is the front guard profile (mine won't be like this) and perhaps the driving lights (but perhaps not)

RSR11_1090x_zps1jaaati4.png

RSR9_1090x_zpsj5xywvjd.png

RSR10_1090x_zpsinxg0bcf.png

RSR6_1090x_zpsbvayj2hs.png

RSR5_1090x_zpsecd8sm0c.png

RSR8_1090x_zpscn4qubzm.png

RSR7_1090x_zpsfmpthmp7.png

RSR3_1090x_zps8orymrwv.png

RSR1_1090x_zpszjoyvogc.png

RSR2_1090x_zpsydwcezgz.png

RSR4_1090x_zpstmjb1gop.png

You shouldn't ask.  Jade and Fraise are still in the running. 

RSR11_1090x_zps1jaaati4.png

Money shot!  

Stop beating yourself up over the colour.  Do any of the others beat this? Imagine switching on the garage light to be welcomed by this. :wub:

I drive an orange car everyday, that Signal Orange is the winner for me. Seconded only by the Viper green wide body at PCM last night, that was stunning as well.

I think you might be right :wub::wub::wub:.

My poor @Pork Chops....I think you're being lured by that cheap harlot "orange" ... The classy dames shown earlier, Mrs dark blue, miss Lilac,  the charming gulf blue and what's her name Ms grey are much more alluring...  My garage light will be on a triple led switch for these babes!!

RSR3_1090x_zps8orymrwv.png

Mmmmmm. Pirelli P7 Corsa goodness on 15 inch rims. I've never seen them in the flesh (well, at least a photo) on a Porsche before.

I still want to do this one day.

@turboT.  Images below collected with great care for image quality and consistency.  All are from for sale ads from reputed houses so they aren't wankers having a guess at what's right.  Nor am I.  They are very similar in some instances, but in the end the yellow is more yellow and the orange is more orange which is comforting in a world gone mad.

FYI the RSR from Canford I posted above is Signal Orange, not Yellow as I had suspected.

Signal Yellow aka an orangy yellow

10DF9E4A-67F7-4073-9236-6FD51D9511B0_zps

Signal Orange aka a yellowy orange

4AE3EC61-DE8F-4917-8833-AAE35D34B81D_zps

The oranges and yellows are shouting out for attention in my opinion, I have always been the type that likes to let the details do the talking. 

I always think about when I fuel up at the petrol station as to the type that may approach to have a chat, bright colours are gonna attract everyone, subdued colours will attract those that know what they are looking at and can admire what you have based on their take of the details.

I couldn't drive a bright coloured car myself. Period correct or not.

I have to agree with a lot of what you say.  But for me the lure of the jellybean is too great to ignore and what will make me happy.  Porsche have some glorious colours and one of the few iconic body shapes that can carry them off.  Those that know, will talk to me about what matters.  Those that don't, won't often get near me or the car (how often do you fill up).  I can't have white as I've got one of those, so the alternatives are, even in their most diminished form, still quite lively.  I also think if there is a historical context for the colour (i.e. RSRs were that colour) it's more than random choice for a loud colour.  In the end the colour is only going to be half the problem.  Big wheels, big induction,big exhaust, big performance, enthusiastic driving style all mean the car is going to stand out.  I'm much more concerned about the law TBH.

There is an argument that the details matter more on a loud car as it will get scrutiny.  Wheel finishing, diameter, offset, period looking tyres, ride heights, correct looking exhaust, secondary bonnet restraints, interior detailing, even having ITBs etc etc.  It all has to be right, and look purposeful, and be purposeful as this was a race car back in the day.  Get this wrong and you end up looking like a try-hard dick.

It's all personal opinion in the end.  I love your car even if you don't love mine :P.

Don't take it like I don't like yours, just offering up another opinion! Food for thought sort of post, and I wasn't suggesting white (That's taken get your own colour :P).

I have to agree with a lot of what you say.  But for me the lure of the jellybean is too great to ignore and what will make me happy.  Porsche have some glorious colours and one of the few iconic body shapes that can carry them off.  Those that know, will talk to me about what matters.  Those that don't, won't often get near me or the car (how often do you fill up).  I can't have white as I've got one of those, so the alternatives are, even in their most diminished form, still quite lively.  I also think if there is a historical context for the colour (i.e. RSRs were that colour) it's more than random choice for a loud colour.  In the end the colour is only going to be half the problem.  Big wheels, big induction,big exhaust, big performance, enthusiastic driving style all mean the car is going to stand out.  I'm much more concerned about the law TBH.

There is an argument that the details matter more on a loud car as it will get scrutiny.  Wheel finishing, diameter, offset, period looking tyres, ride heights, correct looking exhaust, secondary bonnet restraints, interior detailing, even having ITBs etc etc.  It all has to be right, and look purposeful, and be purposeful as this was a race car back in the day.  Get this wrong and you end up looking like a try-hard dick.

It's all personal opinion in the end.  I love your car even if you don't love mine :P.

don't think you'll have trouble with the law- cops tend to leave well executed classics alone :) I have six point welded rollcage and lexan windows in mine and the cops mainly give it a thumbs up haha.

don't think you'll have trouble with the law- cops tend to leave well executed classics alone :) I have six point welded rollcage and lexan windows in mine and the cops mainly give it a thumbs up haha.

Cops give it a thumbs up? That's what I thought (and rather immodestly I think I have a well executed classic).

My colour? Jellybean Mexico Blue.

Got pulled over while crawling at 30km/h about 100m from home (Blues Point Road and Harbour Patrol Police for the Sydneysiders).

Defect notice comprised of:

• Window Sticker too deep (Porsche 911 50 year anniversary - the same one worn by the Police Panamera)
  • Steering Wheel not padded (Momo Mod 78)
  • Roll cage (I had already replaced the perfectly expensive welded cage for an even more expensive bolt in. At the time of defect I still had the front section bolted in)
  • Seats not ADR (Momo)
  • Sliders not engineered (welded to floor)
  • Exhaust too loud (I had an M&K on at the time. It took me two stock exhausts and two attempts at the EPA to pass by the skin of my teeth)

I wasn't fast. I wasn't loud.

But I was bright Blue.

Would I change the colour though? Not for the world.

And any excuse to show it off again ...

IMG_1142.thumb.JPG.72d3f7747b65430235eba

Archived