Wide Body Hotrod Build

I don't want to sound like I dick...but here goes...

You're plowing big $$ into this car. It would be a shame if you came up short because you bought replica wheels.

I reckon there must be a way to get the right bbs wheels built. Find e28, e88 or e50 centres and get them built up with the right barrels, lips and hardware.

Don't know about Australia, but there's companies that source and build up classic bbs wheels in Europe and the US. 

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ keep the suggestions coming guys. Half the reason for the thread is to make sure I tease out all the options out there as I'm far from the last word on sourcing everything.

I've got a while before wheels need to get finalised and let's face it there will end up being 2 sets so scope for different styles!

Just an added note regarding the Compomotive wheels.  In 1976, the biggest centre available at the time was 15" for that wire spoke design.  I know this cos I bought a set of centres.  The biggest tyre available was a 345/35/15, so you can see what I was going to do.

....In 1976, the biggest centre available at the time was 15" for that wire spoke design.  I know this cos I bought a set of centres.  The biggest tyre available was a 345/35/15, so you can see what I was going to do.

What was it going on Brian?

What was it going on Brian?

A '69 911S, that I was going to morph into a 934.

Sold the 911 to build a house……before any modifications were done.

Here is some of the kit hanging on my garage wall waiting for the right car……….and money.

IMG_0420_zpsc0b5b0e4.jpg

1977er_Kremer_935_K2_002.jpg

Yes Tiian @Tit we all know your preference and you make a strong argument! Tell me, in the top image (AD911S's wheels) the outer lip is flat or straight. The wheels on the 935 have a step in the lip. Why the difference? I'm assuming the centres are the same (they look it) so perhaps with 15" there is not step but perhaps the 935 is running 16s and hence the step?

Be great to understand. Cheers.

Yes Tiian @Tit we all know your preference and you make a strong argument! Tell me, in the top image (AD911S's wheels) the outer lip is flat or straight. The wheels on the 935 have a step in the lip. Why the difference? I'm assuming the centres are the same (they look it) so perhaps with 15" there is not step but perhaps the 935 is running 16s and hence the step?

Be great to understand. Cheers.

I had the exact same thoughts. I do make a strong argument! :P

Jokes

I agree...The step lip is what you see on the classic racecars. You can definitely buy replacement lips.  Not sure about the increase in diameter though. I think the 934s and 935s were 15s...

I think the 934s and 935s were 15s...

934 were 16"x (10.5 f and 12.5 r ) and 935 were 16x11 front and 13.5x19 rear, later changed to offer either 14.5x16 or 14.5x19 at the rear.

No, not a know it all.  I had to look the 935 wheel widths info up, for accuracy. 

934 were 16"x (10.5 f and 12.5 r ) and 935 were 16x11 front and 13.5x19 rear, later changed to offer either 14.5x16 or 14.5x19 at the rear

Pretty much just read this on the net. So these are apparently 15" and have the stepped lip....

Perhaps the centres vary in size as how else can the lip step out without causing the diameter to increase? But a smaller centre will give issues with brake rotor and caliper sizing so why would you do that, and have a stepped lip?

OZ930 do you have the answer here?

793D6C9D-617C-4F60-949B-03B2EFC93E9A_zps

Interesting. Funny Engrish but Flatbase seems to be the term if I'm understanding things right. Is it implying you have to assemble the rim around the tyre, when putting a tyre in the rim??

http://www.bbs-racing-wheels.com/seiten/framee.htm

I think I'm onto it.

E30 are for 13" Flatbase wheels or 14" & 15" Drop Centre (stepped) wheels.

E50 are for 15" Flatbase wheels or 15" & 16" Drop Centre (stepped) wheels.

http://www.bbs-racing-wheels.com/seiten/htm.txt/e3050e.htm

So to have a 15" Drop Centre wheel (stepped lip) you need the smaller E30 13" diameter centre.

BUT the 13" centre will only accommodate a 4 bolt pattern so in short the only option for the 911 in this wheel style in 15" is Flatbase ( non-stepped).

My understanding is that all wheels have a step, for strength, whether it is in the inner lip or outer and they do vary the diameter of the centre depending on the style required, as in the previous post.  I have seen flat, single step and double step to achieve an even larger diameter on a centre, ie, a 13" centre in a 15" rim.

I did some research when I was looking for new rims, but did a memory dump when I bought the new rims.

Fantastic links.  I've enquired via the nsutt website about the products on the rs-felgen site as it had no email contact details!  This also seems associated

Butzigear seems to only do 18" and 19"

Can't find the Classic and Driver link but I did find this....:o

934_zpsfpyn5wou.jpg

Oh, and thanks!

Archived