Wide Body Hotrod Build

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fraise is a fantastic colour BUT how long before you get tired of saying "It's not pink!"

Is this Fraise?

DSC00066

That is 100% not Fraise.  That is Raspberry which is a total Barbie pink.  Fraise is a pastel red that tends towards pink in bright light.  Compare your image with those of my paint sample and you'll see they are not even in the same ball park.  Be careful of the internet as there is a lot of wrong information out there on this colour.  Too many people talking shit when they have no idea - not you, others.

In other news I've bought these super cool / wanky 72mm Elephant Racing wheel lugs.

2FF9B1D1-E85A-4016-B321-B2548666F585_zps

As the fabrication on the body has started I now need to consider all things that relate to welding shit into the car.  So this is likely to be my harness of choice.  2" shoulder straps for a HANS device, red because race car, Schroth because Porsche, and floor mounted because want all the protection I can get if I have a big shunt (often Porsche harnesses are connected to the seat, which is fine as long as the seat stays connected to the car, and if not you're buggered).

42BCB97B-0FCA-4912-A03A-0C0482591BEA_zps

Seats may well be resolved as of this evening...

Colours are hard to compare on an iPhone screen hence the question. The Ruf BTR was at Phillip island a couple of years ago (my photo, not internet)  and it was such a standout colour amongst the silver, black and white cars.   If you've got a special car, make it a special colour. 

Colours are hard to compare on an iPhone screen hence the question. The Ruf BTR was at Phillip island a couple of years ago (my photo, not internet)  and it was such a standout colour amongst the silver, black and white cars.   If you've got a special car, make it a special colour. 

Indeed.  But there is a fine line between special and 'special' :)

In a classic case of head over heart I've bought some 996 GT3 seats for the hotrod...They tick a lot of boxes being safe, FIA, ADR, comfy, a Porsche original seat, good for 3 point and harness too, nice crotch strap detail etc.  Down side is the Recaro script and Porsche emblem, clearly not period correct and worse still it's a lot of seat in a little car which doesn't look ideal from the full front or rear views.  They also entirely visually cut off the rear of the cabin.  I guess as time goes by if the heart prevails I could move them on and get some Lollipops...Or I may get some new cushions made with a patterned or coloured fabric for a bit of a visual lift.  Time will tell

@GUT thanks for the sale!

AAA5C966-E2D7-4068-8F2A-ADD19030FE99_zps

D27BA4A4-E017-4101-9767-60E9337971F7_zps

I'm told the interior, engine bay, inner qtr guards and frunk area are all now fine sanded in prep for paint.  So D Day on the paint colour is stepping closer... 

Suspension bits soda blasted and powdercoated.

EE1D4062-1821-48A1-A022-BF290F96C69E_zps

42BCB97B-0FCA-4912-A03A-0C0482591BEA_zps

Ordered 2 of these.  All points fixed to the car except the crotch strap which will go to the underseat bar.  I'm going to weld in some hooks on the vertical piece of the floor metal at the front of the rear seats so that the shoulder straps can hook into them when not being used, and when tightened will look neat and also don't swing around and smack the cage, chip the paint and make nasty noises on my cool video clips. Vanity!

Close Course Motorsport LED headlights ordered and received.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-08%20at%2012.54.

Classic Retrofit Electric AC Ordered (deposit paid ;)) which is due May

http://classicretrofit.com/electrocooler-complete-kit-for-911-1974--1989/

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-08%20at%2012.57.

Also CR fuse panels front and rear

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-08%20at%201.05.1

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-08%20at%201.06.4

And depending on cost you can get a brand new factory standard loom made and prewired into the fuse panels.

https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/

I'm on the hunt for an ECU for the engine.  I don't want to use a Motronic as I don't know exactly what's in the engine (long story) so something programable which would support whatever internals it has, as well as any ITB or turbo set up that may come about in the future will be the way to go.  Feedback from Cairns on the x-faktory kit I bought for my SC is that it's extremely well put together and the highest quality parts were used.  So an AEM kit from Al seems likely, especially when you consider how easy it will be to go ITB from this first step.  Turbo not so much!

Be interested to hear how the A/C system fairs over here, given mine doesn't work I'm looking at either $$$$'s to replace the stuffed bits of the OEM system or go for something more efficient in the first place.

Archived