Wide Body Hotrod Build

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes a massive difference seeing the wheels on the car. I am now leaning towards the closed spoke design as I believe they suit the car better.

I also wonder whether Fraise would look better with gold script versus black, as to my eye the black truly suits the Valliant 

top wheel for sure.

bottom wheel looks like it needs to be on a 996 or something.

This.  The top wheel is basically an early BBS mesh replica.  If you like that style, are you not tempted to simply fit some pucker BBS?  Early one piece or later 3 piece would be period correct.

As to the colour, with respect, you're overthinking it.  Go with your gut. 

I have built two, let's be kind and say 'unusually' coloured, 911's.  A Royal Purple 73 Targa with green/tartan interior and a Bahama yellow 69 coupe with dayglo orange contrasting bumpers.  In both cases, the majority of the punters said I was nuts.   

I took the Targa to Rennsport just after it was finished and the overwhelming response was positive (aside from the houndstoothy "but its NOT the factory delivered colour" 901 crowd).  Ditto, with the Bahama race car.  That was the factory colour, but I hate yellow cars.  Somehow, the funky bumpers make that baby poo hue work.

Ps. Yes, I have just had coffee.  Quite a bit.

This.  The top wheel is basically an early BBS mesh replica.  If you like that style, are you not tempted to simply fit some pucker BBS?  Early one piece or later 3 piece would be period correct.

As to the colour, with respect, you're overthinking it.  Go with your gut. 

I have built two, let's be kind and say 'unusually' coloured, 911's.  A Royal Purple 73 Targa with green/tartan interior and a Bahama yellow 69 coupe with dayglo orange contrasting bumpers.  In both cases, the majority of the punters said I was nuts.   

I took the Targa to Rennsport just after it was finished and the overwhelming response was positive (aside from the houndstoothy "but its NOT the factory delivered colour" 901 crowd).  Ditto, with the Bahama race car.  That was the factory colour, but I hate yellow cars.  Somehow, the funky bumpers make that baby poo hue work.

Ps. Yes, I have just had coffee.  Quite a bit.

Good on you re coffee! I hear you re over thinking which is true and in the end I'll follow my heart but it's confused. Maybe I really want a narrow body long bonnet! I had a dream along those lines!

Which pukka BBS and where from please?

I rank it, 4 3 2 1 

what he said

Whichever way you go in those wheels.  I foresee a lot of cleaning in your future,  I have the more open spoke BBS design on my BMW and I am forever cleaning cleaning.  But then I must have bought the 'extra dust' pads.  They are called 'style 42' in BMW speak and are an original BBS wheel.

Good on you re coffee! I hear you re over thinking which is true and in the end I'll follow my heart but it's confused. Maybe I really want a narrow body long bonnet! I had a dream along those lines!

Which pukka BBS and where from please?

3 piece BBS's pop up on gumtree, ebay, Porsche clubs, here etc.  Stanceworks also has a big wheel for sale section (divided by PCD no less).

Barrels are available too so you can redo the offsets to suit.

3 piece BBS's pop up on gumtree, ebay, Porsche clubs, here etc.  Stanceworks also has a big wheel for sale section (divided by PCD no less).

Barrels are available too so you can redo the offsets to suit.

Nothing in Stanceworks ATM but will keep an eye out there and around the traps. If you find centres where do you get barrels from? Same spots?

It might end up getting too hard but worth a shot.

Have you considered Compomotive wheels ?

Thanks for the suggestion. No I hadn't. The below look great but I can't find them new and getting the exact widths and 0F406957-28EA-49C5-BE3C-4C300B92CD58_zpsoffsets is really important to me and really hard with second hand rims.

Thanks for the suggestion. No I hadn't. The below look great but I can't find them new and getting the exact widths and 0F406957-28EA-49C5-BE3C-4C300B92CD58_zpsoffsets is really important to me and really hard with second hand rims.

All you need are the centres and get a set of inners and outers made to your requirements.

Archived