Wide Body Hotrod Build

As @GUT says.... Wide body & no tail ? That's NQR!  So only 2 options left....

I'm a duck-man, I'd go the duck but if you have a personal preference for the full tail... Then who are we to lure you to the duck side!

993 C2S?

For the tail I would say get one of each done and you can change the personality of the car as you like to keep things fresh.

I really like all the colour options particularly Aubergine.  However if I was building myself a wide body A/C hotrod I think I would paint it brown.  There is just something about taking such a beautiful yet wild shape and covering it in a colour that most people associate with bland and boring.

Something like the one below only WIDE and a warmer shade of brown

Great suggestion but kinda already got me a brown.

IMG_8798_zpsostnyc9r.jpg

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I generally prefer ducks, in this case, I don't think they work with the front and rear spoilers. It has to be a full tail or the proportions don't work.

friend has a widebody with no tail (even a similar-ish colour and bumpers to the pics above!) and it works imo.

but yes i personally would use a carrera 3.0L tail or early IROC whale tail

CgS1mV9.jpg?1

Had more support for Sahara Beige than I thought.  I saw this today and I'm not sure what I think.  I know it's all different but...Medium Ivory.

3F8B3709-4015-4DC4-9AA1-D49801E99CEB_zps

Saw a widebody IB car without a wing once. It looked a bit wrong.

Yeah I think that's the way I'm leaning.  That's one of the issues with the blue car C Monkey posted IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

You can't go past a 75-77 turbo tail on a wide body.  Iroc tails are too much IMO.

You could be right.  Right now it's your suggestion (per my brown SC above?) or an IROC tail.  I'm thinking the latter at this stage.

Top 5 follows.  There are 2 versions of the Vaillant green as they seem to vary a fair bit.  As you can see 4 are 'of a kind' and then there is Fraise.  I've gone off Rubystone as it's so anchored in 964RSs and overall I think Fraise is a more delicate, period correct colour.  And an IROC colour to boot.  But it does scare me a little.  My wife says if I'm scared of Fraise I should feel equally so of Tiffany Blue...

Paint will need to be resolved in the next 2 weeks and I think I'll get some proper paint samples done so I can see them with confidence they are correct, and experiment with them in light and shade and see how they vary.  Then make a final decision.

I've bought a 3.6 (standard-ish and rebuilt), LED headlights, 370mm momo 3 spoke (I'll recover the traditional wheel too), and LSD, WEVO short shifter, airconditoning system, brakes, and wheels have all been selected and will be ordered shortly, or as needed.  I'll consider the clutch, flywheel, headers, exhaust, seat and interior next but the interior is probably the only thing that will be a challenge.

Getting there in terms of planning.

In terms of what has been done, Skunkwerks are assisting me in project managing this whole thing and are getting the suspension soda blasted and powdercoated, sourcing 3.2C brakes which will be re-built, and getting the car on its feet so it's a proper roller.  Hence why paint needs to be chosen shortly as the underside and wheel arches, engine bay and boot are all going body colour.  So they'll flip it over, spray its guts, bolt the suspension on and then we can keep working on it from there when it's on its feet.

Top%205_zpsicticn9i.jpg

Did you find the vaillant colour code?

Yes and no. I have a Pantone code for the Vaillant logo. But how that relates to the paint they used in the 70s on Kremer race cars who bloody knows. I hope the painter has some tricks up his sleeve.

Go bold with the Fraise.  Too many blue 911's running around.

I'm glad I went bold (purple) on my last project.  Lots of positive feedback (well at least to my face...).

Got a pic? Just for fun.

Too many blue 911's running around.

Do my greens look too close to blue?

As yes you posted that earlier.  Looks great on that car.  I think Fraise is another level again tho...

Yep, "next level" should be the aim.

I think the risk in using the Valliant colour is it is always seen in combination with the (bright) stripes.  I think that is why that scheme overall works (or at least is very memorable).

If you go Fraise, you'll never ask yourself, "is this 'out there' enough". If you go one of the greens or blues, you might just be left thinking it looks nice but...

If you're going to all this effort, I say make it scream!

Pop up to Sydney this weekend for some inspiration.

If you go Fraise, you'll never ask yourself, "is this 'out there' enough". If you go one of the greens or blues, you might just be left thinking it looks nice but...

If you're going to all this effort, I say make it scream!

Pop up to Sydney this weekend for some inspiration.

What's happening in Sydney?  I can't make it sadly...

In other news my 'new' 3.6 is now en route home.

IMG_2692_zpsaexrcqwv.jpg

IMG_2695_zps59avrmwa.jpg

Fraise?

4EBD9FE2-DAE0-4311-97E5-13988E9E9A8F_zps

Archived