• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Two things:

1. the second one is sold

2. the second one comes from a less that reputable source

Answer to said question: First one

Agreed.  After the couple of minor issues I've had with my 996.2 that appear to have been the result of low kms travelled over the last few years, I'm thinking that the higher km car with proper maintenance along the way, is probably going to be less problematic that than a low KM car from what appears to be a questionable source.....

6 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Agreed.  After the couple of minor issues I've had with my 996.2 that appear to have been the result of low kms travelled over the last few years, I'm thinking that the higher km car with proper maintenance along the way, is probably going to be less problematic that than a low KM car from what appears to be a questionable source.....

Hey Peter I recall you mentioning that you've needed a few things fixed, mind elaborating what they were?

in regards to average ks usually seen on each model at this stage of their lives - One your'e paying for very low ks and you put 30000 on it and there goes $10000. The other, your getting a discount because of very high ks and you put 30000 on it and it makes no difference. Depends what type of car you want because there is absolutely no way they will be in the same quality of condition overall with the difference in ks

1 hour ago, dan_189 said:

Hey Peter I recall you mentioning that you've needed a few things fixed, mind elaborating what they were?

Dan, main problem has been with cam timing sensors.  On delivery from Sydney the check engine light flashed on a couple of times on the way to Melbourne, and then stayed on for the trip from the boat to home.  It then flashed on again a few times in the following week until I could get to my mechanic.  Codes showed as to do with cam timing, which made me remember that the PO had had a problem in Feb last year.  I produced the invoice and my mechanic said the codes we got were exactly the ones that would have shown up then.  Fix then was to swap the sensors over which was obviously a short term fix....  Autohaus told him they'd had a similar problem with it, and thought they'd fixed it by an engine flush and new oil, and that they car had very little use over the previous couple of years.  He was told to try that again, and then for me to drive it hard!!

We did that, and David said the oil that came out looked like it had done 10,000 kms rather than 1,500, so he surmises the oil has really congealed and gummed up the sensors.  We've now done 5000 kms since we got the car, and no warning lights, even just momentarily flashing, so I reckon the car is all the better for being driven!!!

Oil pressure when warm has been bouncing around a bit (but well above accepted minimum) so may need to address that too, but have been told that's a minor fix

38 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Thanks for sharing, good to hear you've sorted it all out!

5,000kms over the last couple of months that's a bit of driving! Hope you're enjoing it!

Yep, have had quite a few trips up and down to Hobart and around the traps, but that does include the trip down from Sydney.  However, were coming over to the mainland over Easter and looks like another 3-4,000 kms then.  10% of the total 16 year mileage done in probably 6 months!!

Still not totally in love with it yet, but starting to appreciate that the 996 is a tourer, whereas the Boxster perhaps not quite so....

21 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Still not totally in love with it yet, but starting to appreciate that the 996 is a tourer, whereas the Boxster perhaps not quite so....

If you had to choose one, would you go with your 987 or your 996? I understand the 987S are quite a drive.

4 hours ago, bear924 said:

If you had to choose one, would you go with your 987 or your 996? I understand the 987S are quite a drive.

The Boxter's a manual I believe and 987S are a great drivers car, 996 an auto, not quite as engaging?

On 02/03/2018 at 2:49 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

It's coz the Box is a man and the 911 is an auto isn't it

16 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

The Boxter's a manual I believe and 987S are a great drivers car, 996 an auto, not quite as engaging?

It's coz the Box is a man and the 911 is an auto isn't it

Quite possibly the Tip isn't as engaging as the manual, but I am finding the 996 is a great cruiser, and very comfortable and easy to drive for a couple of hour trip, whereas the 987S seems to be more at home on a tight, twisty bit of road - perhaps you could say a more fun car in those conditions.  It also seems to be more responsive - press the throttle and it immediately responds, whereas the 996 doesn't seem to be as responsive, there is a lag to get it to take off, and you've got to press the accelerator hard.  I've got a couple of tweeks planned to see if they make a difference - IPD Plenum to install and I'm going to do the Gundo hack for the exhaust too.  Apart from that, I'm still learning how to drive the Tip, and using the temporary manual mode while in auto.  Absolutely I can see the benefit of having a Tip if you're driving through Melbourne in peak hour, or along Parramatta Road at virtually any time, and given the bulk of all P car sales would be in Melbourne and Sydney, I can see why there's so many Tips compared to manuals on the market (or the manual owners are just keeping them!!!)

51 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Quite possibly the Tip isn't as engaging as the manual, but I am finding the 996 is a great cruiser, and very comfortable and easy to drive for a couple of hour trip, whereas the 987S seems to be more at home on a tight, twisty bit of road - perhaps you could say a more fun car in those conditions.  It also seems to be more responsive - press the throttle and it immediately responds, whereas the 996 doesn't seem to be as responsive, there is a lag to get it to take off, and you've got to press the accelerator hard.  I've got a couple of tweeks planned to see if they make a difference - IPD Plenum to install and I'm going to do the Gundo hack for the exhaust too.  Apart from that, I'm still learning how to drive the Tip, and using the temporary manual mode while in auto.  Absolutely I can see the benefit of having a Tip if you're driving through Melbourne in peak hour, or along Parramatta Road at virtually any time, and given the bulk of all P car sales would be in Melbourne and Sydney, I can see why there's so many Tips compared to manuals on the market (or the manual owners are just keeping them!!!)

I drove my manual yesterday for the first time in maybe a week, didn’t do too much gear shifting really, but today woke up and my left knee is killing me. Would definitely get over it if in traffic each day! The guy I bought the car off sold it to me as he had a knee reconstruction and yep the left one!!

Twoey, I can absolutely understand a preference for a 996 or 997 auto for use if a reasonable amount of daily driving was on the cards in inner suburban traffic. Drove my 993 TT in that for a while and shat me to tears no end. You could always get the 996 flashed as well for more response probs cost 2k or less. Also with the exhaust hack and you can then revel in the noise, the auto may feel a little more sporty holding it in manual when put through it's paces a bit. 

I can tell you from personal experience - don't drive in start stop traffic if your clutch assist spring has gone. Let's say I should of gone to the gym to make my right leg the same size as my left when it was broken.

13 hours ago, Mike737 said:

I can tell you from personal experience - don't drive in start stop traffic if your clutch assist spring has gone. Let's say I should of gone to the gym to make my right leg the same size as my left when it was broken.

I had the same experience until I got mine fixed haha. 

As for tip vs manual I remember test driving a tip and thinking it had to be pushed as there was some 'lag' however my manual isnt like that. I think it's just the was manual vs tip is. Also from memory tip takes off in 2nd gear when in D so that could be a cause for lag.

Also there are quite a few 'maps' that the tiptronic uses/adapts to depending on your driving style. 

I've just had a weekend of driving in the twisties and around town in my manual, cable throttle .1 3.4 and as usual it's a super fun, responsive, rev-happy thing. Saucing up the exhaust and intake definitely brings out the character, and lowering a little, if nothing else, creates a sense of purpose and improves the looks. But it's the shifting of cogs where the biggest part of the fun and engagement is...for a drive in the twisties I'd choose a manual Boxster over tip 996 every time.

• 3 months later...

Hi  all.

First time poster, but long time lover of everything Porsche.

Am I being too optimistic in trying to find a 996.1M close to the $40k mark? My budget is probably closer to $45k, but I'm anticipating an IMS swap and an exhaust/air box to add up to the rest.

Renz.

18 minutes ago, Renz said:

Hi  all.

First time poster, but long time lover of everything Porsche.

Am I being too optimistic in trying to find a 996.1M close to the $40k mark? My budget is probably closer to $45k, but I'm anticipating an IMS swap and an exhaust/air box to add up to the rest.

Renz.

You'll find an average cab

Hey @Renz and welcome to the forum

They are around at a lower end price point, yet I wouldn't expect a low kilometre perfect paint concourse car. Stranger things have happened and people have scored bargains around that price, yet you have to be quick lately. I'd be calling anyone selling a car thats $10k over your budget and lowball them, as they might be desperate for cash. Always ask whether the IMS has been replaced and have it done if they can't confirm it. If you find a car that you really like which is at your max $45k, then you have to spend another $4000 doing the IMS, I always say 'Money can be got, opportunties are lost'. Ask yaself how long would it take to save up the extra cash and consider your options.

Have you thought about a Cayman at all? Bloody good cars that are around your budget, yet I do understand that they're not a 911, yet they are a great thing to drive

Good luck with whatever you do

Just now, Troubleshooter said:

You'll find an average cab

Hmmm, that's disappointing and not quite what I was after. Spent over an hour reading this thread and was hopeful that prices had somewhat stabilised.

Will have to check out car sales next, and see what's on offer ?

6 minutes ago, Renz said:

Hmmm, that's disappointing and not quite what I was after. Spent over an hour reading this thread and was hopeful that prices had somewhat stabilised.

Will have to check out car sales next, and see what's on offer ?

You may get this for 40. been sitting online for 3 months, so there's more to the story I guess, different engine blah blah but priced in your range

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5426153/?Cr=1

9 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Hey @Renz and welcome to the forum

They are around at a lower end price point, yet I wouldn't expect a low kilometre perfect paint concourse car. Stranger things have happened and people have scored bargains around that price, yet you have to be quick lately. I'd be calling anyone selling a car thats $10k over your budget and lowball them, as they might be desperate for cash. Always ask whether the IMS has been replaced and have it done if they can't confirm it. If you find a car that you really like which is at your max $45k, then you have to spend another $4000 doing the IMS, I always say 'Money can be got, opportunties are lost'. Ask yaself how long would it take to save up the extra cash and consider your options.

Have you thought about a Cayman at all? Bloody good cars that are around your budget, yet I do understand that they're not a 911, yet they are a great thing to drive

Good luck with whatever you do

Thanks LeeM.

Great advice. I didn't think the IMS would run to $4k to do. I thought it was in the vicinity of $2.5k?

Since owning a 79 SC Carrera Man Targa some 10 years ago, that I reluctantly had to sell due to my son being born, I don't think I could love anything else ?

Having said that, I really do like the Caymans, but the lack of +2 seating is a killer.

4 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

You may get this for 40. been sitting online for 3 months, so there's more to the story I guess, different engine blah blah but priced in your range

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5426153/?Cr=1

Thanks Troubleshooter.

Just checked that out. It could be due to catastrophic failure because of the IMS, but it could also be something else. I've sent an email asking reason for engine swap. Let's see if they reply.

15 minutes ago, Renz said:

Thanks LeeM.

Great advice. I didn't think the IMS would run to $4k to do. I thought it was in the vicinity of $2.5k?

Since owning a 79 SC Carrera Man Targa some 10 years ago, that I reluctantly had to sell due to my son being born, I don't think I could love anything else ?

Having said that, I really do like the Caymans, but the lack of +2 seating is a killer.

Thanks Troubleshooter.

Just checked that out. It could be due to catastrophic failure because of the IMS, but it could also be something else. I've sent an email asking reason for engine swap. Let's see if they reply.

I’d suggest calling sellers rather than email as there are so many time wasters out there that most sellers get jack of replying to emails

Archived