996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, D2000 said:

I’d suggest calling sellers rather than email as there are so many time wasters out there that most sellers get jack of replying to emails

Good idea D2000, but no matter how much I look at the photos, I just can't seem to like the colour. I don't think I'll be pursuing this one any further, even if the seller replies.

36 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

I'd budget 5k on top of the purchase price as worst case scenario for maintenance: water pump, coolant tank, IMS, master/slave cylinder, starter cable, starter, etc etc.

Thanks Dan, for this advice ?

41 minutes ago, brian in buddina said:

@Troubleshooter;  " so there's more to the story..."

has anyone looked at this car & know "the story"?

Yes, as I said "there's more to the story I guess". Imo it should have sold by now, all things being equal. Maybe the "more to the story" is the price is firm and no one is willing to pay that price for that car for whatever reason they have decided. Maybe there's no "story" and it's a great bargain just sitting there and nobody has rung him.

29 minutes ago, Renz said:

Good idea D2000, but no matter how much I look at the photos, I just can't seem to like the colour. I don't think I'll be pursuing this one any further, even if the seller replies.

You're welcome, the 5k is a buffer it may not actually be needed but its good contingency

Isn't there a silver MK1 manual with an ugly aftermarket wail tail on it for sale or did it sell? Was around your price range ~46k 

There are three MK1 manual coupes on CarSales:

- 43k - silver @194k 

- 47.5k silver @149k

- 49k black @141k

27 minutes ago, Renz said:

As an indication, I spent about $7,000 doing IMS solution (as opposed to IMS retrofit) plus a whole bunch of deferred maintenance tasks the totality of which I cannot recall but included new spark plugs, spark plug tubes, recondition starter motor, new fluids ...

Usually the mechanic will suggest doing the clutch at the same time as IMS because the labour cost is about the same so you are just paying for materials.  I didn't need to as mine had been done recently, but you might want to factor that in

2 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

You're welcome, the 5k is a buffer it may not actually be needed but its good contingency

Isn't there a silver MK1 manual with an ugly aftermarket wail tail on it for sale or did it sell? Was around your price range ~46k 

Yes, I believe that one's gone. Same colour, unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

There are three MK1 manual coupes on CarSales:

- 43k - silver @194k 

- 47.5k silver @149k

- 49k black @141k

I just looked up that black one. The fact that's it's a personal import is putting me off. Should it be??? I'm not buying this as an investment, but as a daily driver. ATEOTD, is not being AU delivered, that big a deal?

6 minutes ago, D2000 said:

As an indication, I spent about $7,000 doing IMS solution (as opposed to IMS retrofit) plus a whole bunch of deferred maintenance tasks the totality of which I cannot recall but included new spark plugs, spark plug tubes, recondition starter motor, new fluids ...

Usually the mechanic will suggest doing the clutch at the same time as IMS because the labour cost is about the same so you are just paying for materials.  I didn't need to as mine had been done recently, but you might want to factor that in

I'm no expert on the IMS issue, but isn't there far less risk with the .1's using the double row? Might be simpler to just look for an 88/89.

Does anyone know exactly when they changed from the double to single row, and is there a way to tell, ie: engine codes?

2 hours ago, Renz said:

Hmmm, that's disappointing and not quite what I was after. Spent over an hour reading this thread and was hopeful that prices had somewhat stabilised.

Will have to check out car sales next, and see what's on offer ?

I'd be hitting up all the Porsche shops and tuners to see if they know of anything coming up or that isn't advertised, as some cars change hands before they reach the market. If you find anything in Adelaide let me know and I'll do what I can to have a look

2 hours ago, Renz said:

Hi  all.

First time poster, but long time lover of everything Porsche.

Am I being too optimistic in trying to find a 996.1M close to the $40k mark? My budget is probably closer to $45k, but I'm anticipating an IMS swap and an exhaust/air box to add up to the rest.

Renz.

Hi @Renz I think the ship has well and truly sailed on getting one for that price but as the boys have said you never know what will come up for sale problem is other buyers are looking out for exactly the same thing.Prices seem to have levelled off over the last couple of months it’s either a case of people asking way too much and the cars sitting of CS for ever or realistic priced ones getting snapped up,I would be doing what @LeeM said look beyond your budget and knock them down.I would say don’t rule out a tip I know it’s not a manual but they are still great cars to drive and own and you’ve got a better chance of getting a good one,see if any are for sale locally and take one out for a drive to get a feel for it compared to the manual and they would be closer to your budget.Good luck with the search you will not be disappointed when you get one.

9 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I'd be hitting up all the Porsche shops and tuners to see if they know of anything coming up or that isn't advertised, as some cars change hands before they reach the market. If you find anything in Adelaide let me know and I'll do what I can to have a look

What a legend. Thanks Lee, I'll definitely keep that in mind re SA cars. ?

3 minutes ago, MARTY said:

Hi @Renz I think the ship has well and truly sailed on getting one for that price but as the boys have said you never know what will come up for sale problem is other buyers are looking out for exactly the same thing.Prices seem to have levelled off over the last couple of months it’s either a case of people asking way too much and the cars sitting of CS for ever or realistic priced ones getting snapped up,I would be doing what @LeeM said look beyond your budget and knock them down.I would say don’t rule out a tip I know it’s not a manual but they are still great cars to drive and own and you’ve got a better chance of getting a good one,see if any are for sale locally and take one out for a drive to get a feel for it compared to the manual and they would be closer to your budget.Good luck with the search you will not be disappointed when you get one.

Funny you should suggest that, Marty, I just searched for tips on CS, and found one of interest. It's in SA, so Lee might be getting a PM soon ?
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2000/SSE-AD-5243643/?_ga=2.103681796.562082865.1529536468-1018906809.1529536468

7 minutes ago, Renz said:

What a legend. Thanks Lee, I'll definitely keep that in mind re SA cars. ?

Funny you should suggest that, Marty, I just searched for tips on CS, and found one of interest. It's in SA, so Lee might be getting a PM soon ?
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2000/SSE-AD-5243643/?_ga=2.103681796.562082865.1529536468-1018906809.1529536468

No worries mate. I rang the owner and left a message for him to call me to find out who services it. It's located 15 minutes from me, so I'll try and get a look at it tonight or Saturday morning if you're keen. 

2 minutes ago, LeeM said:

No worries mate. I rang the owner and left a message for him to call me to find out who services it. It's located 15 minutes from me, so I'll try and get a look at it tonight or Saturday morning if you're keen. 

Seriously? Wow, this has to be the best forum I've ever been a member of. However, please hold off actually going to have a look at it, as I've made inquiries on another one, and don't want you wasting your time. If that doesn't pan out, I'll get back to you regarding Saturday ?

11 minutes ago, Renz said:

Seriously? Wow, this has to be the best forum I've ever been a member of. However, please hold off actually going to have a look at it, as I've made inquiries on another one, and don't want you wasting your time. If that doesn't pan out, I'll get back to you regarding Saturday ?

Give me a call mate. 0407942151

37 minutes ago, Renz said:

A lot of great guys on here- i think its basically the fact they, we, all want more enthusiasts getting excited and helping each other out to get their next ride, and to get them out and about!

The blue one in Adelaide is being sold by the son of the owner,sounds like the owner has looked after it I phoned about it when I was looking I think it’s been serviced by Buikmotors only problem is he won’t budge on asking price I wanted to knock him down hence I guess why its still for sale.

21 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

@Troubleshooter;  " so there's more to the story..."

has anyone looked at this car & know "the story"?

Curiosity got the better of me, so after speaking to the owner, and the mechanic that worked on it, here is "the story".

The owner - had it about a year. Bought it from a friend. Has no idea why the original engine had to be replaced. Has no idea what IMSB was installed. Other than having some receipts for the work done prior and whilst he's owned it, seems pretty clueless about the history. Says he's had an offer of $42k and won't go lower.

The mechanic - He remembers the car and that a 2nd hand 3.6 engine was sourced and rebuilt by them about 7 years ago. When asked about the IMS, he also could not tell me what was put in there. He says there was limited choice back then, so it may have simply been a genuine single row, a double row, or something else. Just can't remember, and I don't blame him. 7 years is a long time. I asked why he didn't just rebuild the original motor, he replied by saying that it was cheaper to source the 3.6 and rebuild it with NON genuine P parts (sourced from Bob Wynns), than to rebuild the original motor. One last question was regarding why the original engine was replaced, and his response was that he could not remember, but he didn't think it was due to the IMSB failing, rather something else.

There you have it. I'm not sure I'm any the wiser, but I know I'll be passing on this one.

P.S: The mechanics last word of advice for me was...to change out the bearing EVERY time I had the clutch done (50,000 intervals). That way there would be no failures. Surely he's taking the piss? 

4 minutes ago, Renz said:

P.S: The mechanics last word of advice for me was...to change out the bearing EVERY time I had the clutch done (50,000 intervals). That way there would be no failures. Surely he's taking the piss? 

Nope that's actually not bad advice unless you install the IMS solution the other LN retrofit bearings have a service interval - it's a wear part. Also up until not long ago Porsche didn't offer a replacement bearing, you'd have to buy the entire IM Shaft. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a LN classic retrofit bearing if it's been replaced. Anyway shady history - good move to pass. 

3 hours ago, Renz said:

Curiosity got the better of me, so after speaking to the owner, and the mechanic that worked on it, here is "the story".

The owner - had it about a year. Bought it from a friend. Has no idea why the original engine had to be replaced. Has no idea what IMSB was installed. Other than having some receipts for the work done prior and whilst he's owned it, seems pretty clueless about the history. Says he's had an offer of $42k and won't go lower.

The mechanic - He remembers the car and that a 2nd hand 3.6 engine was sourced and rebuilt by them about 7 years ago. When asked about the IMS, he also could not tell me what was put in there. He says there was limited choice back then, so it may have simply been a genuine single row, a double row, or something else. Just can't remember, and I don't blame him. 7 years is a long time. I asked why he didn't just rebuild the original motor, he replied by saying that it was cheaper to source the 3.6 and rebuild it with NON genuine P parts (sourced from Bob Wynns), than to rebuild the original motor. One last question was regarding why the original engine was replaced, and his response was that he could not remember, but he didn't think it was due to the IMSB failing, rather something else.

There you have it. I'm not sure I'm any the wiser, but I know I'll be passing on this one.

That’s a great write up. Thanks. I have been monitoring this one but too busy to do anything for the moment.

How good is this forum?!

5 minutes ago, Renz said:

Surely this is good value, regardless of being an import? $52K + shipping, duties, taxes, etc.

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/porsche/911-carrera-996/porsche-911-996-40-years-2004/8609425

If you could import it here it would be I don’t think the import rules have changed that much,cars are cheaper in the U.K 

Just look at the service records - oil changes @ every 15,000 miles & 3 years wouldn't attract me. That's before you look at the rust under the car, its already had new mufflers and you can imagine what the A/C and coolant rads look like, never mind the brake lines and exhaust hangers.....

11 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Just look at the service records - oil changes @ every 15,000 miles & 3 years wouldn't attract me. That's before you look at the rust under the car, its already had new mufflers and you can imagine what the A/C and coolant rads look like, never mind the brake lines and exhaust hangers.....

Well, that explains the cheap price then ?

Hey Guys.

sounds like someone on the Forum knows something about most cars that have been on CS for a while .

This manual silver at $47.000 has been around for a while,  does anyone know any more about it?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5448169/?_ga=2.217349142.1216770700.1529819215-1425790524.1526724462&_gac=1.217302690.1528449788.EAIaIQobChMIgPTCj9_D2wIVWBaPCh2RWgwqEAAYASAAEgL5efD_BwE

1 hour ago, xitsurf said:

Hey Guys.

sounds like someone on the Forum knows something about most cars that have been on CS for a while .

This manual silver at $47.000 has been around for a while,  does anyone know any more about it?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5448169/?_ga=2.217349142.1216770700.1529819215-1425790524.1526724462&_gac=1.217302690.1528449788.EAIaIQobChMIgPTCj9_D2wIVWBaPCh2RWgwqEAAYASAAEgL5efD_BwE

You would wonder why they didn't do the IMS at the same time as clutch etc???

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

You would wonder why they didn't do the IMS at the same time as clutch etc???

I asked the owner the same thing, and his answer was, the mechanic advised him not to bother, as there was such a low rate of failure on them. He mustn't enjoy sleeping ?

1 hour ago, Renz said:

I asked the owner the same thing, and his answer was, the mechanic advised him not to bother, as there was such a low rate of failure on them. He mustn't enjoy sleeping ?

Probably not an experienced P mechanic then????  For the sake of $1000 or so for a bearing why wouldn;t you have done it with the engine out of the car???

Archived