996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

Looks well sorted and the low kms and factory AeroKit are great calling cards.

Although IMO i'd put back in the original radio and buy the missing part for the underside of the decklid.

Is it worth what you're asking? I Guess time will tell :) GLWS!

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such low k's on a factory aero kit mk 1 car must be a rarity and anything rare in the 911 world is worth a fortune these days so I don't see why this should be any different. Not so long ago 2.7's and 964's were the bottom feeders of the 911 world, how much is a mint, low k's, Aus delivered manual coupe of either worth now...? Also, and I might be chased out of the playground for saying so, but compared to a similar year GT3 it doesn't seem like bad value...160k versus 80k. I know, GT3's are this and that and blah blah blah and the M96 blows up every time you go to the shops, but I'm yet to be convinced the GT3 is 2-3-4 times more fun than a lightly modded C2 manual coupe....who's going to let me drive their GT3 to find out?

Then there's the early 997S value comparison, but I think they're quite different propositions, the 997S has never been a bottom feeder, it's still a polished, shiny and sharp looking 'modern' 911 that appeals to merchant bankers. An early 997 is probably just as likely to blow up on the way to the shops but it's missing the hobbling-dog charms of the 996 (mk1 in particular) which has lured endeared them to 'fiscally challenged' automotive masochists enthusiasts. I assume the 997 is dynamically better, but I had a friend who owned a 997S a few years ago drive my lightly modded 996 the other day and he couldn't wipe the smile off his face...but maybe that's because he now drives a Landrover. So I think values of mint earlier-the-better 996's will bubble to the surface eventually and maybe yours is the first to test this Dave.

I too would get it back to as original as possible and take out the reference to firm pricing...always puts me off when I'm looking. Also, if I may be so bold, at this price point you want to present the car as best as possible and I'm not sure the photos are really doing it justice. 996's need good photography to really bring out their subtle lines. When photographed well they look fantastic, unfortunately most 996 owners are crap photographers...maybe we can't afford decent cameras!

Looking at the market recently, I think a clean 2001 mk1 ~70k kms was asking for 48k recently. (SA), unsure what it finally went for, Maybe 45k? but it did sell relatively quickly. mid this year.

I believe with aerokit and the kms, you'd be looking at a fair price of maybe around 50k?

I think lorbek had a blue one recently, but didn't catch the price,  I stopped writing down prices at that point.

Anyway good luck with sale, in the end it's whatever you want to sell it for and whoever will buy it for said price.

IMO, and subject to getting the minor bits back to stock, this is about as good as a 996.1 gets.  C2.  Manual.  Aerokit.  Silver.  Looks to be in good condition.

As mentioned above, at $45k it would be gone in a heartbeat.  Even at $55k I think it would go very quickly.  

I can't see you getting $80k plus, but could see the right buyer paying $65k plus, possibly even into the $70ks.  But that is speculation on my part and also my own assessment of what I'd like to think my 996.1 C4 is worth and adding some on top.

So I agree with @DT that you should at least remove the reference to pricing being firm.

Well, since you asked, when I bought my high km 996.2 (with 140,000km and mint) the guy had it for sale for months. I would never have considered a 996.1 unless it was low $30s at the time, and a couple were. HOWEVER, this was 18 months ago though. I sold it earlier this year for $44 or $45k...I forget, but not before I had offers from a lot of lowballers.

How much more is the car we're talking about worth? Less km than mine is a tick, but a 3.4 is a minus. (IMO) so, a little bit more than mine, maybe. Maybe low 50s if it's perfect. Am I right or wrong? We'll find out eventually I guess.

Just before I sold my car, a friend bought a 997.1 Carrera. He was busy and asked me to pick it up for him. It had 80,000km. It was night when I picked it up. I may as well have been driving my car....it felt exactly the same. (both manuals, of course)

Ultimately, I bought a 997.2 Carrera S PDK. Now THAT was a big step up in many way, but STILL unchanged in others.

In other words, the only reason you'd buy a 997.1 over a 996.2 is because of the difference in the lights, otherwise you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Don't think in 997S territory, more low-mid km 997 (all in terms of asking price rather than receiving).  (Talking manual prices of course)

As long as you are still getting nibbles at that price, all good, although you do risk isolating others who may be interested at a lower price and who think the firm high asking is an indication you won't move

To me "firm" is usually, "don't bother 'cause i ain't moving", isn't that why people put firm in the ad, or am i missing something.

Not having a go at people who put this in BTW but if i see this and i think it's too much i'll move on to something else, i'm not going to waste the seller's or my time by even ringing, this is just what i think.:)

Hi All, first time to the forum after 8 years of 996 C2 ownership. Great to see the passion thriving. I am the owner of the Seal Grey reg CCR 911 currently on car sales. Found out about the forum from one of the people who came to look at the car. Saw mine has been mentioned. One comment was wires under the bonnet which is for trickle charge as I have not driven the car much in the last year as I wanted to keep the kms low for sale. Sorry for the lack of interior shots, which I will try to get on over the weekend. Interior is as impressive as exterior and I have been sending via phone in the interim. At 52000 kms when the IMS was done took the opportunity to have full inspection completed to verify what I had bought. Essentially went through all major service items meaning this will not be required for 92000kms. All work including IMS oil/air seperator chains ect ect ect at a cost of 11k. Nothing was left to chance. Happy for PPI and to answer any questions. Quickest response for me is via phone number on car sales. Cheers Chris 

Hi All, first time to the forum after 8 years of 996 C2 ownership. Great to see the passion thriving. I am the owner of the Seal Grey reg CCR 911 currently on car sales. Found out about the forum from one of the people who came to look at the car. Saw mine has been mentioned. One comment was wires under the bonnet which is for trickle charge as I have not driven the car much in the last year as I wanted to keep the kms low for sale. Sorry for the lack of interior shots, which I will try to get on over the weekend. Interior is as impressive as exterior and I have been sending via phone in the interim. At 52000 kms when the IMS was done took the opportunity to have full inspection completed to verify what I had bought. Essentially went through all major service items meaning this will not be required for 92000kms. All work including IMS oil/air seperator chains ect ect ect at a cost of 11k. Nothing was left to chance. Happy for PPI and to answer any questions. Quickest response for me is via phone number on car sales. Cheers Chris 

good luck with it. Looks like a nice car

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DT said:

Nice looking and reasonably priced .2 manual coupe:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-5148547/?Cr=2

Bit of a shame about this misinformation in the ad:

"...being a series 2 996 it has the 3.6 litre engine - so no IMS issues like the 3.4 litre series 1..."

Thought the same.  Why wasn't this around 2 weeks ago :angry:

very nice, the price isn't too bad, although at those k's, not mentioned, are the usual AOS/clutch that needs to be done. (and u'd probably factor in the ims at the same time) . so there's still a bit to spend after that.

looks nice and clean though.

43 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Hooray! Great to see a clean looking 996 with high mileage, particularly an early one...helps dispel the myth they're all time bombs waiting to go off.

First time poster as I'm on the lookout for a 996 Manual for family drives. My take on the aero kitted one on carsales is it's a $50k car (996.2 with those kms would be late 50's selling price, prob advertised at around $60k). So you just need to work out what an aero kit adds - $10k? more would be a BIG ask. I think advertise at $65 neg and take anything around 60 and it'll be a  fair deal each way. That's what I told the seller and I'd be prepared to move on it if we made those numbers work.

5 hours ago, iuvbrownale said:

First time poster as I'm on the lookout for a 996 Manual for family drives. My take on the aero kitted one on carsales is it's a $50k car (996.2 with those kms would be late 50's selling price, prob advertised at around $60k). So you just need to work out what an aero kit adds - $10k? more would be a BIG ask. I think advertise at $65 neg and take anything around 60 and it'll be a  fair deal each way. That's what I told the seller and I'd be prepared to move on it if we made those numbers work.

Interesting brownie.  Let me know if you'd like to get on the PCT northern members email listing.  We have a run most months, and you might like to hook up with us (unless, of course you're already dialed in.....)

Would be interested to see what you end up with.  That's exactly what I was looking for but ended up with a .2 Tip.  Can't say I'm in love with it yet, but I've only had it a week, so we'll see how I feel after another month :P

On 12/13/2017 at 12:17 PM, DT said:

Bit of a shame about this misinformation in the ad:

"...being a series 2 996 it has the 3.6 litre engine - so no IMS issues like the 3.4 litre series 1..."

yep the series 2 were most prone to IMS problems because porsche had switched to a single row bearing style at the time, for both 3.4 and 3.6 L engines

14 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Interesting brownie.  Let me know if you'd like to get on the PCT northern members email listing.  We have a run most months, and you might like to hook up with us (unless, of course you're already dialed in.....)

Would be interested to see what you end up with.  That's exactly what I was looking for but ended up with a .2 Tip.  Can't say I'm in love with it yet, but I've only had it a week, so we'll see how I feel after another month :P

Yeah why not, my email is just my username @gmail.com. I'd love to get in the back of a 996 to gauge what it will be like for my daughter. I've been tossing up 996 against Maser Gransport which is quite roomy but the whole Porsche thing is like an itch....

9 hours ago, iuvbrownale said:

Yeah why not, my email is just my username @gmail.com. I'd love to get in the back of a 996 to gauge what it will be like for my daughter. I've been tossing up 996 against Maser Gransport which is quite roomy but the whole Porsche thing is like an itch....

Mike, not sure if you missed out an "l" in your username, but user name as such bounces back.  Resent to iluvbrownale@, let me know if this isn't correct

cheers

Peter

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, pommymike said:

Interesting that this post had to be edited for remarks about the vendor...???

I own the silver cup kitted 996.1 and offering $60K for a 54000km example with those options is simply out of the question. I know what's out there for $50-60K cause I saw it all, it was mostly substandard. So this offer does not interest me at all.

Either you're after a exemplary example of a 911, or you just keep kicking tyres till they go up....

Thank you.

David.

1 hour ago, disco said:

Interesting that this post had to be edited for remarks about the vendor...???

I own the silver cup kitted 996.1 and offering $60K for a 54000km example with those options is simply out of the question. I know what's out there for $50-60K cause I saw it all, it was mostly substandard. So this offer does not interest me at all.

Either you're after a exemplary example of a 911, or you just keep kicking tyres till they go up....

Thank you.

David.

The edit was about Ole, who has been remarked upon in prior posts. I won't say any more for fear of getting myself in hot water again! It certainly wasn't you David.

Values are whatever the market will take. I have my methodology but there's no saying it's absolute. Cars like houses, can all sell above their actual market value and there's no harm testing the market to see if you can achieve that.

33 minutes ago, pommymike said:

The edit was about Ole, who has been remarked upon in prior posts. I won't say any more for fear of getting myself in hot water again! It certainly wasn't you David.

Values are whatever the market will take. I have my methodology but there's no saying it's absolute. Cars like houses, can all sell above their actual market value and there's no harm testing the market to see if you can achieve that.

Hi Mike,

Fair enough. I'll review the ad in the new year and see where it goes.

Appreciate your interest.

Regards,

David.

Archived