996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

Re: What else can you buy for $50k that does what that car does?  Good buying there

Me thinks your P whipped.   Easy answer to that question if you are P car  agnostic (probably helps already having access to non NA  996.   My recent 50k impulse buy (actually was chasing a v8 audi b7 rs4 wagon for less than 50k) went towards a 2010 bmw e90 m3 na v8 with dct with less than 100k k , and still some pennies left after also covering ceramic coated x pipe section with high flow cats and reasonators, ecu tune , dct gts tune and all parts and fluids for a 100 km service, including diff and dct service.   I have not driven a E9X M3 as of yet, nor a NA 996, but I reckon a m3 sedan can go pound for pound against any stock 996 on any desktop comparison if you draw a line at 50k.  It also ticks many more boxes, eg 3 rear usuable seats, shite load more boot space, launch control, adjustable suspension settings and gearshift speeds and more tech (factory usb, and potentially program your garage door with a dedicated in car switch).  Even got same  hp on tap available without those go faster bits mentioned than what is available in a boosted 996.  Not convinced your engine note on your 50k NA  996 is going to give you the same feeling behind the wheel on downshifts with a rev matched dct , plus it  does its best work like a 996 gt3 at rpm's beyond the max revs shown on the 996.1's rev gauge.  Best of both worlds, eg good balance of digital and analogue.

Im with you here.  For around $50. The m3 or the c63 are great value. Quite a few manual e92's around

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me thinks your P whipped.   Easy answer to that question if you are P car  agnostic (probably helps already having access to non NA  996.   My recent 50k impulse buy (actually was chasing a v8 audi b7 rs4 wagon for less than 50k) went towards a 2010 bmw e90 m3 na v8 with dct with less than 100k k , and still some pennies left after also covering ceramic coated x pipe section with high flow cats and reasonators, ecu tune , dct gts tune and all parts and fluids for a 100 km service, including diff and dct service.   I have not driven a E9X M3 as of yet, nor a NA 996, but I reckon a m3 sedan can go pound for pound against any stock 996 on any desktop comparison if you draw a line at 50k.  It also ticks many more boxes, eg 3 rear usuable seats, shite load more boot space, launch control, adjustable suspension settings and gearshift speeds and more tech (factory usb, and potentially program your garage door with a dedicated in car switch).  Even got same  hp on tap available without those go faster bits mentioned than what is available in a boosted 996.  Not convinced your engine note on your 50k NA  996 is going to give you the same feeling behind the wheel on downshifts with a rev matched dct , plus it  does its best work like a 996 gt3 at rpm's beyond the max revs shown on the 996.1's rev gauge.  Best of both worlds, eg good balance of digital and analogue.

The cheaper thing with cars that aren't a Porsche is the fact that they aren't a Porsche. If you want a Porsche you really need to buy a Porsche, non- Porsche is not a Porsche. 

Volvo's are cheaper than a lot of Porsche's too, there are a few Volvo fans on here that like Porsche and Volvo. I do not want a Volvo Sam I am, a non-Porsche is just something that I'm not necessarily a fan. 

Maybe a Van or some green eggs and ham? 

It's like going on a Holden forum, then buying a Ford coz it's cheaper ???

Shit, I could sell my SC import and buy a 2 or 3 cars that would run rings around an old 911, and still have enough to buy a 944 

The cheaper thing with cars that aren't a Porsche is the fact that they aren't a Porsche. If you want a Porsche you really need to buy a Porsche, non- Porsche is not a Porsche. 

Volvo's are cheaper than a lot of Porsche's too, there are a few Volvo fans on here that like Porsche and Volvo. I do not want a Volvo Sam I am, a non-Porsche is just something that I'm not necessarily a fan. 

Maybe a Van or some green eggs and ham? 

If the question was posed what other P car can you buy for $50k that does what that car does, I'd just would of probably responded with " not seeing it any differently" .  I'm not into cheap, but  I'm badge agnostic but do look for perceived  (no need to try before you buy,)  bang for my buck when behind the wheel  after a bit of tinkering to my liking.  Nothing wrong with a bit of diversification as I see it and that even extends to a yellow (colour I prefer my eggs) Volvo 850R. 

So back on 996 C2 Coupe values, where are they today in terms of a multiplier compared to 996 c4s, 996 Coupe , 996 turbo in the last couple of years and where is the bang for 996 P car buck.  eg I can remember not that long ago 996tt / 996gt3 >1 for similarly conditioned cars.  Times have indeed changed.

• 2 weeks later...

$42k 996.1 C2 with 192k km, lowered with exhaust and aftermarket headlights:  https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/OAG-AD-15050507/?Cr=7

Good photography

Same car for $38k on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wannanup/cars-vans-utes/1998-porsche-911-coupe/1156720466

Not any more:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/myaree/cars-vans-utes/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-black-6-speed-manual-coupe/1157479276

Nice looking 996, headlights aren't my cuppa but like the colour/stance/wheel combination.

Blimey, I'm sure this was 55k only a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-4801011/?Cr=2

Or spend another 120k and get a GT3.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a decent 98 C2 lurking under there somewhere...potential bargain...if you like yellow:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-parramatta/cars-vans-utes/1998-porsche-911-carrera-6-speed-manual-coupe/1157053502

Saw that for sale a few months ago, few things to note:

- Not sure why there are screws on the outside of the side skirts?

- Taco wing isn't an original one as it doesn't have the factory part stamp on the underside (unless its obscured by the light - which I doubt)

- Air box isn't original 

- Does have an IMS retrofit serial number sticker which is good

Have you seen the post on Rod Emorys Fbook page .. re his buddys cover up of the fried eggs headlamps..  … shit the price will go up now .. 996 looking like 997's !!

Haven't seen this attempt, but I'm guessing like every other attempt it will make me a little sick in my mouth.

Embrace the eggs, it's the only true path to enlightenment.

Yep, little bit of sick just came up.

To me this stuff fits into the back/front date thing. One day the round earthers will be horrified at stuff like this and instead of saying 'To me the headlights veered a little too far away from the traditional Porsche look with oval headlight shape', they'll be saying, 'I'm bored of the traditional Porsche look, I want a Porsche that's gonna put some sizzle in my fry pan' and trying to convert their ovals into eggs.

Archived