Tech nouse

dapper

This one's bordering on technical but not quite.

I just want to get a straw pole on Porsche owners/enthusiasts technical nous. The reason.... I'm working on a project and want to get a guage on what depth of information people actually want.

So first up, and without looking it up, who knows what Newton metres of torque actually means? I don't want an explanation, we can all google that. I simply want to get a guage on whether it's relevant to the average Porsche owner.

Depends.  Torque from an engine, or torquing up a bolt?   Although the same, they're different.  It's an impressive talking point for some, to have big numbers, but generally, it's not something that's important to me coz I'm not towing a horse float with my 911.  

Sure I'll bite, 130NM on the wheels nuts and 370NM to the ground.

So does that mean if you get more Nm onto the bitumen than what all your combined wheel nut torque is, your wheel nuts will come loose when you're driving?

This one's bordering on technical but not quite.

I just want to get a straw pole on Porsche owners/enthusiasts technical nous. The reason.... I'm working on a project and want to get a guage on what depth of information people actually want.

So first up, and without looking it up, who knows what Newton metres of torque actually means? I don't want an explanation, we can all google that. I simply want to get a guage on whether it's relevant to the average Porsche owner.

What you up to Dapper?? All I know is the more NM of Torque my engine has the more I can boast!

• 2 months later...

Sorry it's been a while and obviously I wasn't clear so apologies for the ambiguity. It is indeed in relation to the measurement of how quickly your car will accelerate. Does that give the game away, I don't know? 

All I would like to know is, how relevant torque figures are to you and your understanding of them when numbers are thrown on the table. Be honest, is it just as Sandi468 says, the bigger the number, the more you can boast or is it a conversation piece you can speak with authority on?

I thank you.

I understand it but rarely use it. I don't currently own a torque wrench (somebody stole my last one) and for most jobs I do, the arm is enough of a measure to be able to remain safe.

You can get away with male intuition until you start playing with cylinder heads etc ;)

I couldn`t write a Thesis on it, but I understand the principles

Illiterate hill billy-knows how to pull?

Sorry it's been a while and obviously I wasn't clear so apologies for the ambiguity. It is indeed in relation to the measurement of how quickly your car will accelerate. Does that give the game away, I don't know? 

All I would like to know is, how relevant torque figures are to you and your understanding of them when numbers are thrown on the table. Be honest, is it just as Sandi468 says, the bigger the number, the more you can boast or is it a conversation piece you can speak with authority on?

I thank you.

I know that I need more torques if I want to accelerate harder out of the tight uphill corners  :(

Torque is the ability to apply force (1 newton over one metre, amirite?) while power is the rate at which work is done.  If you want to change the inertia of an object you need to apply some newtons.  If your engine doesn't have torques you need to put it through a reduction gear to act as a lever to increase the force.  Powerful engines can produce more torque through a wider rev range, reducing the need for closely spaced gearing to keep the engine in the band between peak torque and peak power.

ill take 'why does a 930 have a 4 speed gearbox' for 100 points 

Torque is calculated by Force x Distance.

Force is measured in Newtons (N). Distance in metres (m). So the unit is Newton Metres (Nm).

Easy!

more accurately, torque is a measure of force to cause an object to rotate around an axis.  

Force x distance is how work is calculated.  https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp05/Work_Force_times.html

I'm having flash backs to high school physics classes  :Sweating:

Archived