500 HP Williams Singer

au-yt

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone care to hazard a guess how much such a beast would cost? I'm thinking $150k

Edit: make that $150k USD

http://driving.ca/porsche/911/auto-news/news/singer-williams-collaborate-on-high-power-911-engine

I was dreaming around $USD100k, but you would know better than most JV. So realistically I guess this would be closer to $AUD200k if you had to land one here if they did ever offer them...

I was dreaming around $USD100k, but you would know better than most JV. So realistically I guess this would be closer to $AUD200k if you had to land one here if they did ever offer them...

I think you guys are well off. I cannot see any change out of US$250k. Consider the development costs and the costs of tooling. Divide that by the very few engines they will estimate selling (say 10?) then add in the margins that Williams would want to make in order for it to be a worthwhile project. Singer will also want some profit on that as well.

I think you guys are well off. I cannot see any change out of US$250k. Consider the development costs and the costs of tooling. Divide that by the very few engines they will estimate selling (say 10?) then add in the margins that Williams would want to make in order for it to be a worthwhile project. Singer will also want some profit on that as well.

You're crushing my dreams simon :(

I  guess it is tied up in the process of importing, which is why it wouldn't affect Zag

What do you mean? Zag uses local cars? They do import...

Wouldn't  the issue be more about the custom parts, the fabrication singer does.... Like a manufacturer would do. The engineering can't be checked or verified. Every supplier singer uses that supplies a bespoke part would have to be verified, etc...(too hard basket). Whereas zag uses stock parts just like your standard mechanic, and just joins existing and known parts together...

Nah, still lost on me as a pointless exercise.

It still wouldn't drive as well as the following that will work out something like $1M AUD less:

I think the "base" Singers are perfect as they are.   

I tend to agree with you Peter, sure it answers some questions about what the air cooled 6 could have been, but I guess time will tell, how many want that question answered! 

What do you mean? Zag uses local cars? They do import...

Wouldn't  the issue be more about the custom parts, the fabrication singer does.... Like a manufacturer would do. The engineering can't be checked or verified. Every supplier singer uses that supplies a bespoke part would have to be verified, etc...(too hard basket). Whereas zag uses stock parts just like your standard mechanic, and just joins existing and known parts together...

ZAG do their modification in Australia - as do Autohaus etc etc. As far as i understand it you cant import any heavily modified car and expect it to get registered, but might be wrong

As far as i understand it you cant import any heavily modified car and expect it to get registered, but might be wrong

As a general rule, I think you are spot on. However, it is a personal import which you have owned for 12 months or more, while living in that country and using it "regularly",

So order your Singer. The day it is ready, move to the USA for a year. Then you should be able to bring it back with you. What would a road legal and registerable Singer be worth here? If you can afford to fund it, the "profit" should pay for a very nice year touring the USA in a Singer.

You can of course export your aussie 964 to the US temporarily, you can get a permit to use it over there for some events and maybe, just maybe.. it might need some repairs at Singer whilst on tour, you then reimport it at the end of its "tour". 

Work smarter, not harder lads...

ZAG do their modification in Australia - as do Autohaus etc etc. As far as i understand it you cant import any heavily modified car and expect it to get registered, but might be wrong

you're never going to find out unless someone tries.

youre not supposed to build front decks that go to the footpath line either.  But somehow a guy around the corner got approval to do just that just by knowing/working the system.  If you shipped a 964 out and back again and the vin/engine no didn't change I can't see how you are up for anything worse than gst on the improved amount, if they even pick that up.  I mean, import duties are on market value of the things brought in.  How do you value a paint and interior job?

the thing is you're not importing a car here.  You're temporarily shipping a car out and back again.  Australian cars have done it for things like pebble beach and I assume they didn't have to clear type approval once on the way back.   Registration is a state based thing so if you needed to get approval for suspension/engine changes the Feds are not going to care or even ask.

you're never going to find out unless someone tries.

youre not supposed to build front decks that go to the footpath line either.  But somehow a guy around the corner got approval to do just that just by knowing/working the system.  If you shipped a 964 out and back again and the vin/engine no didn't change I can't see how you are up for anything worse than gst on the improved amount, if they even pick that up.  I mean, import duties are on market value of the things brought in.  How do you value a paint and interior job?

the thing is you're not importing a car here.  You're temporarily shipping a car out and back again.  Australian cars have done it for things like pebble beach and I assume they didn't have to clear type approval once on the way back.   Registration is a state based thing so if you needed to get approval for suspension/engine changes the Feds are not going to care or even ask.

back off you lot :) 

Just saying what Singer told me. Also Autohaus confirmed as they were once trying to get the gig to look after the cars if they were ever imported. There would be half a dozen here already if it were that easy....

1. the GOLDCOAST car

2. the SYDNEY car

3. the PADDINGTON....

Singer probably just didn't want any outlaw plates on one of their cars so made up some cock and bull story about import restrictions!

in all seriousness they'd be nuts to tell you it could be done because (a) they don't need the hassle and (b) there would be blowback on them legally if customs did seize the car on return.

Also Autohaus confirmed as they were once trying to get the gig to look after the cars if they were ever imported. 

More than that, they were toying with the idea of building them here under licence

So order your Singer. The day it is ready, move to the USA for a year. Then you should be able to bring it back with you. What would a road legal and registerable Singer be worth here? If you can afford to fund it, the "profit" should pay for a very nice year touring the USA in a Singer.

recon the LCT might kill any profit...

So we were all way off on the price of this one. I have on good authority the motor only is $400k USD... so a Williams equiped Singer is a cool $1M USD :(

oh that's a relief... Now I'll have to get  2 for such a deal! :D

Archived