500 HP Williams Singer

au-yt

http://jalopnik.com/now-singer-teams-up-with-williams-for-bonkers-air-coole-1797660405?utm_source=jalopnik_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-08-09

A quote from the story

Singer says the first product of this union is a 4.0-liter naturally aspirated air-cooled flat-six motor rated at 500 horsepower. That’s a pretty fantastic rating for an engine with no turbos or blowers to help. It’s also got a redline past 9,000 RPM, cylinders and pistons with titanium con-rods, aluminum throttle bodies with carbon fiber trumpets, an Inconel and titanium exhaust system, a carbon air box, an enlarged engine cooling fan, and other modifications.

Also, Hans Mezger—the longtime Porsche motor impresario we once mulled as the best engine designer of all time—is a technical consultant on the project.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not mentioned, but will it have a water cooled head?

Looks like the fan shroud extends over the heads, so probably not. Apparently it's got dual oil circuits...so maybe that's how they are cooling the heads?

Yep scrap your mission E Porsche .............SINGER is making you look silly ,,,that Engine and ram air set up is so cool ,,,take note Porsche this is what the enthusiast wants .....................:cool07: 

POLO build off...

you would have to recon there are designers at Porsche right now going....."fuck we should have done that" (in German naturally)

Admit it Tom, we both should have given Singer deposit money two years ago. We'd be receiving our Williams powered Singers later this year and would driving off into the distance in the only car we'd ever need...

....Apparently it's got dual oil circuits...so maybe that's how they are cooling the heads?

I reckon you are right Timm that it has oil cooled heads as that's far more practical than going water cooling on these old chassis.  This approach has also been used successfully in the past on production engines like the early series GSXR Suzuki's.

Anyway, if they went water cooled that would just like transplanting in a 996/997 GT3 engine.  Far to easy and not really the point!

Admit it Tom, we both should have given Singer deposit money two years ago. We'd be receiving our Williams powered Singers later this year and would driving off into the distance in the only car we'd ever need...

Yeah but, Tom would be losing a floor or two off his beach house build to pay for the sewing machine ;)

Yeah but, Tom would be losing a floor or two off his beach house build to pay for the sewing machine ;)

not sure what happened to the rumor that there was a Singer on the way to OZ.  You still cant register one, but never stopped the Rich I guess. Fully optioned they are $750,000US + donor +  taxes...

With this engine...

and when the Australian dollar had parity with the US...

not sure what happened to the rumor that there was a Singer on the way to OZ.  You still cant register one, but never stopped the Rich I guess. Fully optioned they are $750,000US + donor +  taxes...

With this engine...

I think that was some dude in Melbs as well, seem to remember you found him on instatube?

Got to admit though, I think the Singer thing has worn off / wearing thin, they're not exclusive enough anymore given the numbers that have been built. They needed this engine to differentiate themselves from the crowd again, the value proposition is falling (except in countries where they struggle to bring them in...)

Very clever marketing - the whole Singer story was everywhere but then slowly faded out.  So it's very smart to go get Williams and Mezger to collaborate and amp it up to 500hp with some uber cool pics and restart a whole new round of drooling from the worldwide Porsche community.  Queue fresh order book.  Well played.

I think that was some dude in Melbs as well, seem to remember you found him on instatube?

Got to admit though, I think the Singer thing has worn off / wearing thin, they're not exclusive enough anymore given the numbers that have been built. They needed this engine to differentiate themselves from the crowd again, the value proposition is falling (except in countries where they struggle to bring them in...)

still not fifty of them...Id have one ;) 

With this engine...

and when the Australian dollar had parity with the US...

If you are sending them an Australian compliance and Australian rego d 964 ,,wouldn,t the car still be registered here even after Singer has performed their retro resto magic ,,,,,,,,,,, the car should still have its original numbers or I am sure you could pay a small fee to singer to make sure it still has them ,,,,with out doubt  the car is coming back extensively modified ,,,but if it was still rego,d and retained it original numbers who the hell is going to know or even care when you go for your next rego inspection ,,,,I mean most think all 911 are the same to the uneducated it would just look like a very expensive back date or is there more to this ,,,??? 

I see the guys at Zag completely cut up and modify 911,s to the extreme and still get them road worthy as most of them have rego during the back date process ..Why would a singer be any different other than the fact that you are sending it over seas for the work ...

If you are sending them an Australian compliance and Australian rego d 964 ,,wouldn,t the car still be registered here even after Singer has performed their retro resto magic ,,,,,,,,,,, the car should still have its original numbers or I am sure you could pay a small fee to singer to make sure it still has them ,,,,with out doubt  the car is coming back extensively modified ,,,but if it was still rego,d and retained it original numbers who the hell is going to know or even care when you go for your next rego inspection ,,,,I mean most think all 911 are the same to the uneducated it would just look like a very expensive back date or is there more to this ,,,??? 

I see the guys at Zag completely cut up and modify 911,s to the extreme and still get them road worthy as most of them have rego during the back date process ..Why would a singer be any different other than the fact that you are sending it over seas for the work ...

when I was at Singer last year they said they had tried and failed to get them certified in OZ. I am pretty sure that modified cars are re classified at the date of the modification, rather than the production date. Means the car doesn't meet the new standards set for later cars as I understand it. I guess it is tied up in the process of importing, which is why it wouldn't affect Zag

If you had a 400hp one, you'd be thinking sell for a profit and order a new 500hp one.

a few have changed hands off market - 20% premium on original purchase price apparently. Recon I would be happy with a 400hp one anyway ;)  

Archived