Non Australian delivered Porsche

Gday all

Just wondering how much variability there is between Australian delivered Porsches vs those imported?

What, if any, parts/set up may differ for a UK delivered Cayman S vs Australian delivered?

Also what's the rule of thumb for resale value on non Australian delivered vehicles? Is there a percentage reduction that is reliable, or is it more vehicle/desirability dependant?

Any advice/feedback much appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Difference? As far as i know, for the 944 ect and im quite sure it applies to the 911, the interior options where different. We've got the porsche script interior while the UK had more patterns and different styles. 

Mechanical options usually same, Australia had more emissions in the 80s so the UK cars had no catalyst converter.

US cars obviously the impact bumpers and indicators in a different spot. And US dealers had aftermarket options on their cars. but that's if the original owner asked for them. 

Seems crazy that there would be a 20% difference with UK cars (personally don't get it).

Older may be rust affected, salted roads, ok price adjustment, but newer years?

Personally never really worried about Australian delivered, however only owned 2 but both came from o/s.

My first a 73 2.4S UK car and my current 84 Carrera US car have both been great cars.

Never been fussed about keeping them original either?

Buy one, save some cash and personalise them!

Maybe too much emphasis on investment over enjoyment.

Just look at the underside of any UK car that's been exposed to the salt and crap weather for 2-3 winters. The underseal and cosmoline might be OK but exhaust and suspension parts (alloy and steel) are usually so badly corroded that you need a grinding wheel just to remove them. Taking off the mufflers can take you 10 times as long compared to a relatively un corroded system - I shudder when I see pictures of the of manifold / header studs masquerading bolts.....

And that just what you can see - imagine what's not visible.

I lived in the UK and drove a UK car… best drive of my life for 284,000 Kms , salt isn the friend of preservation... but realistically if you buy a modern salted car .. it will last 20 years or more like any other.. The question is are you buying your car and planning of leaving it as your legacy or just want to enjoy.   Cheaper Euro and US cars and other countries for that mater are fine.. just pay the 20-30% less and get yourself into some fun..

I have also owned three other imported cars here , all with no dramas..

I would in balance say this,  the rust or corrosion does get a hold  for the cars that have been driven longer term in the uk etc and I do always ask how long ago the car was imported. If cleaned properly before departure and on arrival .. they dont always go bad once stabalised in the heat and humidity.

30-40-50 year old cars , all have rust lets face facts, even the garage queens , just most people arent brave enough to admit it or look for it.  I recently cut into a rust free car… well what a lie that statement was, it has been here since 73. Rust between the sheeting and welded chassis rails.. even two experts said it was rust free.. what do they know. All repairable anyhow.

Just look at the underside of any UK car that's been exposed to the salt and crap weather for 2-3 winters. The underseal and cosmoline might be OK but exhaust and suspension parts (alloy and steel) are usually so badly corroded that you need a grinding wheel just to remove them. Taking off the mufflers can take you 10 times as long compared to a relatively un corroded system - I shudder when I see pictures of the of manifold / header studs masquerading bolts.....

And that just what you can see - imagine what's not visible.

Along the same line.

I sold a 94 pulsar to my son that was a country car. He lives at the top of a ocean side point and the vehicle has lived outside for 3 years. I just did sway bar D bushes and two of the bolts that go into a fixed nut were so badly corroded they destroyed the thread of the nut. With no way to get to the exposed thread to clean it first and lube. Royal pita as the new thread had to take a small enough bolt to still fit through the U bracket. 

I told him to sell it as I won't be chasing sh1t like that any more.

In 2016, Porsche UK held a restoration competition for the 40th anniversary of the front engined cars.

Porsche Bornemouth transformed a 924 Turbo into something unbelievable .... it looked better than new. 

Here are some before photos .... this is why people shy away from UK cars .....

BTpJo1e.jpg

XRU6O0p.jpg

Just so it's not all doom and gloom, this is an after shot of the inlet Manifold..... 

S5q2NDg.jpg

In 2016, Porsche UK held a restoration competition for the 40th anniversary of the front engined cars.

Porsche Bornemouth transformed a 924 Turbo into something unbelievable .... it looked better than new. 

BTpJo1e.jpg

XRU6O0p.jpg

Just so it's not all doom and gloom, this is an after shot of the inlet Manifold..... 

S5q2NDg.jpg

It really depends how they've been driven and looked after. I've seen worse Australian delivered cars. 

If Chris-P owned a car in the UK and looked after it how he did with his 993.. i can almost guarantee you it would be rust free. 

a UK based forum for the equivalent of our Holden Jackaroo.....fuel tank replacement photos are alarming when you look at the corrosion.  These vehicles are less than 20 years old ie not all that old.

https://sites.google.com/site/trooperdieseltankremoval/

That's horrendous, no wonder the car companies try to sell all the rust proofing products to you when you buy a car in Australia, they are always disappointed when i buy a new car......

I certainly won't disagree with you Pauly regarding looking after a car .... however this particular car is quite clearly salt ridden, a practice that we don't do over here ....

I reckon that regardless of how well a car is looked after, if it from and driven on salt infested roads, the above will be the end result. If it is purely neglected it will also suffer the same fate.

I must also point out that there are a lot of areas over there that don't salt the roads, so not all cars from all areas are doomed ....

Posted this before but......when I had my car at Cairns Several years ago,  I had a look under a UK 997 on the hoist.  It was outwardly a very clean tidy car.  But underneath nothing escaped the rust - every exposed thread and nut, exhaust, dampers, brake components etc all needed replacing or cleaning up.  I was gob smacked.  He pointed to metal seams and said that's where the stuff works it way in and there's not much you can do about it.  Put me off ever considering a UK car, it was well under 10 years old .  What % discount should apply to that?

BTpJo1e.jpg

even the drain in the floor needs replacing due to rust?

Archived