The Cayenne/ Boxster dilema

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing my first P car. At the moment I drive a Jeep. I am tossing up two options regarding which P car to get.

Option 1: Keep the Jeep as a daily and buy a 2006-2007 Boxster (manual) for weekends/ occasional trackday and motorkhana events. For example: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2006/SSE-AD-4602334/?Cr=5

Option 2: Buy a 2007-2008 Cayenne S and sell the Jeep (and use the Cayenne for mild offroad work like beach driving/ dirt tracks). For example: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayenne-2008/SSE-AD-4773530/?Cr=4

Now my question is, can the Cayenne S do motorkhana/ trackdays without holding up the traffic so to speak as I would like to do the occasional motorsport event around Adelaide. 

I would be buying the Boxster. You are going to have way more fun driving the Boxster on the weekends. The Porsche credo from the start has been 'small and light is fast', the Cayenne is not going to give you either of those things.

I have owned an update Cayenne and all I can say is if you have any inclination to use it as a daily, forget it ....

It's a 2 ton monster that while a nice car, drinks petrol as fast as you can pump it in .... they are very heavy on the juice as well as brake pads.

If you wanted the Cayenne for an occasional car then yeah .... nice car.

I have owned an update Cayenne and all I can say is if you have any inclination to use it as a daily, forget it ....

It's a 2 ton monster that while a nice car, drinks petrol as fast as you can pump it in .... they are very heavy on the juice as well as brake pads.

If you wanted the Cayenne for an occasional car then yeah .... nice car.

Same reason I ditched my X5....

A dilemma is actually a situation when you are faced multiple options, but they are all bad.  Otherwise you are dealing with a decision.  #philosophydetails

From what you describe, you are faced with a decision.. which is good :)

Buy earlier models and buy both! Just as much fun could be had with the earlier cars :)

Don't be scared of DD a large suv, so they use fuel, who cares! :D

In answer to your question, probably not so sporting in an SUV and Motorsport events..... maybe an earlier turbo? (may leave room for a Boxster or the like?)

Fuel consumption doesn't scare me, my current Jeep is a V8 averaging about 18.5 litres/ 100km.  That is a very nice Boxster S Francois but a little out of my price range.

No probs - sorry for the unsollicitated advertisement. I'd be happy to drive it to SA though ;-)

I had a 2008 Cayenne GTS and oh the sound from the V8 was worth every drop of unleaded. It also did plenty of laps at Phillip Island and was faster than a Boxster but a bit slower than an S but still a lot of fun for its size on a flowing track. Also used it in a few motorkhana and it did surprising well.  Brakes stood up ok but you would not want to really push them on the track but then again I have cooked the brakes on a Cayman R and a 997.1 Turbo and stuffed ceramics after 22,000km on the 997.2 TurboS. 

Hard decision. But if you go the Cayenne route the GTS is the one to have even as a Daily. 

youd be better off in a $15k Boxster for weekend fun than even the most powerful SUV..  There are very few cars that fulfil multiple roles well.  SUVs are certainly not one - weight and high CoG are your enemy.  Yes there are some fast SUVs but there would be no comparison in grin factor even if lapping slower in an old Boxster.

youd be better off in a $15k Boxster for weekend fun than even the most powerful SUV..  There are very few cars that fulfil multiple roles well.  SUVs are certainly not one - weight and high CoG are your enemy.  Yes there are some fast SUVs but there would be no comparison in grin factor even if lapping slower in an old Boxster.

Exactly and precisely what I ended up doing. When I needed a replacement car I was set on a Cayenne and was convinced this would give me my Porsche ownership and be sporty enough. I was all set to buy one but it fell through and I bought a Mercedes ML instead and it is a great car as well as being very close to the Cayenne's abilities. I quickly learned that a SUV is heavy and while most drivers of normal cars cannot keep up with me it still weighs 2.3 t and feels like it. It is a great family car and the dog loves it, but my 928 is for FUN :)

You cannot compare the 2 and I am so glad the Cayenne purchase fell through.

These 2 cars fill the role perfectly of what I thought one Cayenne may have.... :)

Cheap Boxster or 944 for the weekends mate. We may even allow you to come with us to Clarendon most Sunday mornings ?

In all seriousness, do the above, and you haven't overcomitted yourself with a mint car that you'll be scared to drive hard or get a couple of stone chips. It's all about the smile factor, not what it's worth now or in the future. Ya can't put a price on fun! As for a daily....its a daily, keep the Jeep 

I test drove a Cayenne S and was a little underwhelmed, was hoping a bit more poke from that V8. The car certainly did feel very solid and handled crappy Adelaide road surfaces well on the air suspension. 

Next time you drive one, push the little button marked "sports" ....

It wakes the beast up and will change your underwhelmed feeling .... also, the 4.8L is far angrier than the 4.5L ....

My 4.8L in Sports mode was a racing car ...

• 5 weeks later...

Archived