Cool Porsche things to do in California

There's nearly always some kind of cars and coffee happening on Sunday mornings up in Malibu. I've seen some pretty rare cars at them (highlight is still a RUF 964. Sounded amazing!)

If you're keen to drive while you're there (it's actually the only way to do LA) check out Turo.com You maybe tempted to hire a p-car. There priced very well.

Lastly, the Porsche experience centre is located right next to LAX. It's on my to do list for when I free up some time over there.

When are you going? There are also events held throughout the year that would be cool to check out. They usually attract Magnus and singer related cars etc

Porsche experience centre - haven't been there yet but heard it's good - https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche-experience-center-los-angeles/experiences/driving-experiences

Currently a Porsche exhibit on at the Petersen museum - https://petersen.org/portfolio-item/the-porsche-effect/

Sports car rental - I've used http://bwrentacar.com/

Driving roads:

Pacific Coast hwy  (drive up the coast for as long as you like toward SF). I've stopped in Malibu at Malibu kitchen where there's usually a few nice cars there on the weekend, then keep driving on up to Santa Barbara.

Mulholland drive - not a high speed road but nice an twisty

Angeles Crest Highway over the San Gabriel Mountains has some twisties and decent stretches of road

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas.  Will definitely check out the Petersen Museum, Porsche Experience looks awesome, but maybe a bit over the holiday budget....

Staying in Southern Orange County, so have found a Cars and Coffee down there.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2018 at 8:03 PM, sam911 said:

Hi,

Holidaying to California in May, has anyone got any ideas of Porsche related things to do whilst there e.g.. Car Museums/Collections?  Obviously seeing Magnus Walkers cars would be awesome, haven't enquired about that yet...

Thanks for your ideas

Everything else the others have mentioned plus Try touching base with Porsche Club America LA  (PCA-LA) google the website, they list all the activities coming up, and if drives line up they're great. I've found they're welcoming of any Porsche people, and usually a spare seat with someone turns up to join the drive. Email them first. If you're on instagram, check out the Porsche guys in LA on there and what meets are coming up when you're there, I've met a few IG people in convo, and then met up over there at Trancas Market and other spots in LA.  If you get there a bit earlier Luftgekhult. If Magnus is in DTLA always worth having a look around the DTLA Arts district, there's some great eateries there and it's a good place to hang out (you won't get replies to emails) but if it times in he's really welcoming. We stopped by his place after coffee and a taco, and managed to meet up with him there just as he came across the street, I joked we were stalking and we just struck up a convo, he was really cool, he had some time and invited us in for an hour and a half, gave us a tour as they were shooting a film in the house. He was working on colours for 15fifty2 wheels and wanted a break, he showed us all his cars, gave us some shirts, car toys for the kids, timing was just right, and as he said timing is everything. Plenty of car dealers to check out and window shopping, the Beverly Hills car club have 300+ Cars, 100 or more Porsche at any time. Autobooks in Burbank iNth Hollywood is always a good spot to pick up Porsche books, busy on a Sat morning and meet up with other Porsche (and other car people). 

IG is a good link to what's happening there check out my link  paulaussiepawsha if you're on IG send me a link and I can mention a few people I know to touch base with.

cheeRS

Paul

On 4 March 2018 at 4:51 PM, JV911 said:

A timely thread; I'll be there at the end of April.

I've discovered that Luftgekühlt 5 is on while I'm there :D

Tickets are in limited supply so get in quick 

6 hours ago, PTINS said:

Everything else the others have mentioned plus Try touching base with Porsche Club America LA  (PCA-LA) google the website, they list all the activities coming up, and if drives line up they're great. I've found they're welcoming of any Porsche people, and usually a spare seat with someone turns up to join the drive. Email them first. If you're on instagram, check out the Porsche guys in LA on there and what meets are coming up when you're there, I've met a few IG people in convo, and then met up over there at Trancas Market and other spots in LA.  If you get there a bit earlier Luftgekhult. If Magnus is in DTLA always worth having a look around the DTLA Arts district, there's some great eateries there and it's a good place to hang out (you won't get replies to emails) but if it times in he's really welcoming. We stopped by his place after coffee and a taco, and managed to meet up with him there just as he came across the street, I joked we were stalking and we just struck up a convo, he was really cool, he had some time and invited us in for an hour and a half, gave us a tour as they were shooting a film in the house. He was working on colours for 15fifty2 wheels and wanted a break, he showed us all his cars, gave us some shirts, car toys for the kids, timing was just right, and as he said timing is everything. Plenty of car dealers to check out and window shopping, the Beverly Hills car club have 300+ Cars, 100 or more Porsche at any time. Autobooks in Burbank iNth Hollywood is always a good spot to pick up Porsche books, busy on a Sat morning and meet up with other Porsche (and other car people). 

IG is a good link to what's happening there check out my link  paulaussiepawsha if you're on IG send me a link and I can mention a few people I know to touch base with.

cheeRS

Paul

Some good tips there, thanks.

I couldn't be Magnus.  It's very cool that he was accomodating to you like that.  

I might check out Beverly Hills car club for a laugh.  I didn't think it would actually be anywhere near Beverly Hills with all that rusty junk.

On 7 March 2018 at 1:44 AM, sam911 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas.  Will definitely check out the Petersen Museum, Porsche Experience looks awesome, but maybe a bit over the holiday budget....

Staying in Southern Orange County, so have found a Cars and Coffee down there.

Thanks again

It's pricey but worth it.  Ditch the family if they don't want to go and carve a few hours out to yourself, and go on the vault tour.  It changes a lot but they do have an original 901 stashed away.

He is one of a kind. I certainly couldn't either, Magnus is so accomodating and just so cool. BHCC certainly isn't in BH East LA near San Bernadino FWY, only if you're going that way kind of visit, and absolutely comedic value, 100s of cars, maybe one or two worth anything, most rusted, some solid and flogged, nothing to buy that would ever pass customs without another 10-50K bill. Petersen vault is a must and main museum is OK too. Cars n coffees everywhere on weekends.

• 9 months later...

Just reviving this thread. Skiing in Colorado late Jan with 8 days at the end in La early Feb.

Staying in West Holiwood for 4 nights/days then Santa Monica for 2 nights.

Some good ideas above interested in what @sam911and @JV911 ended up doing and enjoying?

im keeping the princess happy with shopping and restaurants and also have some car fun so decided to hire a convertible mustang for couple of days while in West Hollywood as it’s not so expensive fun for a couple of days vs a luxury Pcar.

One day we are driving out to Palm Springs. On another day I’m thinking either doing the PCH to Malibu and maybe to Trancas Market as mentioned by @PTINS or interested in thoughts on whether to have a crack at the ACH as I know @itsujack and some of the guys did when at Luft.  I have only one day and depending on Princess mood and weather maybe do both?

We are booking petersen and vault plus I am going to visit the GT cars plaza C&C on the Sunday morning as it’s a 10 min walk from the hotel.

no time for Porsche experience this trip😥 but would like any other thoughts on car related stuff that I maybe able to squeeze in

19 minutes ago, JV911 said:

Petersen is a must, regardless of whether the Porsche exhibit is still on. 

Uovo in Santa Monica was my favourite restaurant. Great pasta and wine list. Zinfandel is a great drop.

Yep purchased the tickets plus vault tour last night so locked and loaded 👍. Porsche exhibit is still on so that makes the princess happy as she is a keen 356 fan😆.

thanks for the tip on Uovo as we haven’t booked any restaurants in Santa Monica as yet. Will look it up.

The pch to Malibu is ok but not spectacular.  Worth going further north to Ventura county, and then follow some canyon roads back south again.  

Be prepared for lots of slow moving traffic wherever you go.

Non car related but the Getty centre is nice if it’s a relatively clear day.  Otherwise it’s always fun to find a classic car dealer and kick tyres - there are some good ones around which are CTS style.

4 hours ago, Tips said:

thanks for the tip on Uovo as we haven’t booked any restaurants in Santa Monica as yet. Will look it up.

A few more from my brother-in-law, who lives there: Cassia, The Misfit, BOA Steakhouse, Watergrill and R&D Kitchen. And Elephante for drinks and the view.

6 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Non car related but the Getty centre is nice if it’s a relatively clear day.  

As is the Griffith Observatory.

Porsche exhibit at the Petersen is cool, more track car oriented but still awesome. When I was there the vault was closed for renovations but apparently an extra Porsche section was being added.

Cars and coffee southern orange county, at The Outlet at San Clemente was cool and well worth it. Probably 400 cars, everything from American muscle to Carrera GT. 

Thanks guys.

3 hours ago, JV911 said:

The Misfit, BOA Steakhouse, Watergrill and R&D Kitchen. And Elephante for drinks and the view

Will look those up and pick one for Tuesday night dinner. Elephants looks right, love a rooftop bar and it’s 10 min walk from our hotel👍

2 hours ago, sam911 said:

Cars and coffee southern orange county, at The Outlet at San Clemente was cool and well worth it. Probably 400 cars, everything from American muscle to Carrera GT. 

Bugger just had a look, it’s on the day we booked Pietersen vault. I’ll do the GT one on the sunday in Hollywood as it’s a short walk from the hotel.

3 hours ago, Coastr said:

Non car related but the Getty centre is nice if it’s a relatively clear day.

Yep we are doing the Getty after C&C on Sunday 👍.  thanks for the tip on Ventura we are still deciding north south or east and being a Friday morning, hopefully less traffic. I’m thinking ACH might be a good drive, all depends on weather.

@Tips sounds like you've already got the good tips on LA (see what I did there, 🙄)

Other options; Period Correct is worth a stop if you're in the neighbourhood. Only a small shop but often a cool car or two in there. If you love your 356's you could always try for a peak at Rod Emory's palace of outlaws...

9 minutes ago, itsujack said:

@Tips sounds like you've already got the good tips on LA (see what I did there, 🙄)

Other options; Period Correct is worth a stop if you're in the neighbourhood. Only a small shop but often a cool car or two in there. If you love your 356's you could always try for a peak at Rod Emory's palace of outlaws...

Too funny Jad....

I’ll check out period correct and see if I’m close at some point.

I would loooove to drop by Rod’s shop if u or Tom could organise an intro or do I just rock up? Would certainly move a few things around on one if the days to spend an hour or 2 lusting over those 356’s.  I’m trying to also organise a drop in at a Lamborghini shop on the drive to Malibu as a mate has his recently restored Muira stored there, which I’m keen to have a look at. So much to see and do in LA 😍

• 4 weeks later...

So finally broke the snow in Colorado and hit La la land (West Hollywood) and some sunshine for a few days

We rented a GT Mustang 5.0 for a couple of days and took it for a blast down to Palm Springs for the day to do some outlet mall shopping and realised the boot was way to small for her taste in shopping🙄.

on Friday we took a blast down to Malibu for brunch and then up through the canyons to calabasas, mulholland drive, cold water canyon back into sunset and West Hollywood. Nice 3 hour round trip and plenty of road to spank the V8 on including some nice tunnels above Malibu. Really wanted to do the longer drive up to Newton’s ranch but time got the better of us.

Did the Petersen vault tour today, best $20 spent as we both agreed the standard museum tour would be pointless without it.  I’m going to the fortnoghtly GT cars and coffee tomorrow morning in Hollywood as it’s 10 min walk away from the hotel and gives the missus a sleep in prior to some culture at the Getty in the afternoon.

spotted some great P cars and others over the last few days including a Lamborghini SUV , first one I’ve seen.

Porsche display still on but changing to Ferrari I believe shortly. a couple of pics from the past few days.

3141226B-164E-48F9-B3C8-F6F80799AEAC.thumb.jpeg.59ec9b43dab5dc97372009a46cef3f4a.jpeg

D3AD6685-FA11-48B1-A2D6-9283A4D23AE8.jpeg

7BC5743B-85BF-486A-BC25-A064080B608A.jpeg

E9DE6A0A-35D1-4519-80A5-3C3F6A83148B.jpeg

1D35D747-5A5A-4D0B-B4CD-7D92D68F305E.jpeg

8237EADE-FAB6-45E1-A4F5-7CBE1C7A6F43.jpeg

C593F608-F91D-4C06-B391-640A6F8E13DC.jpeg

762B81D6-4B57-497C-ADA4-BF45AF287DBC.jpeg

Ok so thought I would pop around the corner this morning from my hotel in Westbury hollywood to Sunset Plaza on the strip and visit the GT cars and coffee https://www.sunsetgranturismo.com/

All I can say is OMG what a turn out and well run C&C.  Arrived around 8:45 and the car park was half full. On The strip out front were about 6 guys photographing cars as they arrived, quite a parade.

All cars in sections by make with lots of guys marshalling in and directing parking. Water and coffee was free and a number of sponsors including PCA. 

Porsche were definately the highest number including about 30 GT3/2 in all guises and lots of colour I had not seen prior so a number of PTS cars. There were about 12 aircooled and 2 Carrera GT and 2 918 hybrid spiders. A fair number of Lambos and Fezzas as well plus a few Mclarens. There was an original stratos which certainly drew a crowd, guy still races it 😍.

I took a bunch of photos and will drop them in below. It’s on every second Sunday and is quite an event if your in La on the right weekend.

The view from above

40D3DC5C-5AF8-4BD0-BBC3-EB6C7EE731BF.jpeg

Having trouble with photos. Apologies u will need to swipe in instagram

and of course someone always shows up in the family SUV :ph34r:

i will never have a go at @edgy for a dog dick red interior after seeing the interior on this roller, swipe left 🙄

And of course the obligation boxrod

And wings were all the go

• 11 months later...