When to settle???

So since selling my SC I've been spending too much time considering what P car I should purchase to replace it. I've posted on other threads about the cars I'm considering so I won't go back over old ground. What I have been thinking about recently is when is the right time to settle? What the!?? I hear you ask.

I anticipate that when most people go looking for their dream car, they have a picture of what their ideal car looks like. They may have thoughts on the model they want to buy, the condition/ kms they will accept, the colour they want or perhaps manual or auto. This is then overlayed on the restrictions that we have less control on such as budget,  timing or availability of the car you want.

As a (seems to be common) example. Let's say you decided you want a 964 manual C2 coupe, Australian delivered with a full service history. You stare at car sales for month after month and they are always $20k over your budget. Do you delay your purchase until your budget meets reality or do you settle. Perhaps purchase a non Australian delivered car ... perhaps buy one with less than perfect history ... perhaps buy a 993 instead of a 964 because one comes up that ticks all the boxes apart from model?

The advantage of buying something that may scratch you itch is that you can start enjoying your purchase. The disadvantage may be that you always wonder 'what if I'd waited for that 964', and perhaps end up selling your 'settle' car for the car you really wanted in the first place. Ultimately this  will cost you more as most cars require some $$ to be spent to get them sorted, plus stamp duty and possibly depreciation (remember when that happened!!) This scenario could be played out with colour or sub model (wanted a C2 however settled on a C4?). Or maybe you really wanted a long hood however settled on a impact bumper.

So I was hoping others might be able to share examples of when they 'settled' and whether they believe that was a good decision in retrospect. Did that Boxster scratch your 911 itch?? Did the 944S2 stop you longing for a 944 turbo?? Did the guards red stop your yearning for the glistening gold 911 you have dreamed of since your youth??

Also keen to hear from anyone who refused to settle and then found the exact car they were looking for. Was it worth the wait? Did the removal of that specific itch just cause another one to take its place?

Hi Wayne

Good question I think its only once you sell a good car and then start looking around that you notice that some of the cars are way over priced and sellers are just trying it on and are probably not in the condition that you have kept your cars in.For me when I sold my 964 I wasn't going to buy another Porsche but I love my cars so another one it had to be, started looking for a 968 but couldn't find the right one at the right price and condition so then its a compromise after looking around for a bit I went for a 996 and ideally I would have picked a manual I opted for a tip and I love it.I look at it like buying houses once you have one look after it enjoy it and hopefully it will go up in value i think its better to have something to enjoy for now and if the right car comes along then go for that, otherwise you could end up waiting for a long time and prices could go up even more.Good luck with the search mate.

Wait. But in the interim ask friends for a drive of their’s, hey even ask if it can sleep over to look at it in your garage. 

Beggars can’t be choosers- that is the fun of the hunt; your not filling in an order form. If it’s not exactly what you want, those points will always be in the back of your mind. But when I refer to lending a car, sometimes your wants are there maybe by default or for some reason that when you do buy something, you say “why was I concerned with this or that, who cares.” 

Colour grows on you, so can ugly ducklings. (I wasn’t referring to 996 headlights there :-)

Buy a car that's within your budget, and over time turn it into the car of your dreams.

Buying a car that is a different model to what you really want will annoy you, and you will regret the purchase. Considering a car that ticks every box but one or two is just being overly pedantic in my opinion, especially if said dream cars are few and far between. If you don't care about Australian delivered, buy an import, as they were made in the same factory and drive the same, yet your initial outlay is 20-30% less. 

I became a Porsche fan a number of years before I was able to drive, let alone buy one. Purchased my first Porsche (a 924) at the age of 19 and bought a 924 purely because it was the only model I could afford even though I was more into 911s. Found the 4 speed box too buzzy for highway use and moved onto my current 924 turbo at the age of 21 and have grown to appreciate the 924 model more and more over the last 20+ years.  I relatively certain I won't sell my 924 until I can not longer drive, so I agree that one will grow into appreciating the car you have as they all have something special about them.

Also aware of:

8 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Buying a car that is a different model to what you really want will annoy you, and you will regret the purchase.

as there is a degree of commitment when buying any Porsche. We are all only a slipped timing belt away from a $30k repair.

However using Marty's example:

28 minutes ago, MARTY said:

started looking for a 968 but couldn't find the right one at the right price and condition so then its a compromise after looking around for a bit I went for a 996

And from the pics on this forum, Marty's car looks sweet so I don't think there's too may regrets there.

So maybe Peter is correct:

18 minutes ago, Peter John said:

Beggars can’t be choosers- that is the fun of the hunt; your not filling in an order form.

In some ways having a strong view of what the perfect Porsche is would actually make the buying process easier. There's not that many Porsches I wouldn't want in my garage, the challenge is picking the few that you'll actually get to own in your life time as even fully sampling all the sub models within a model would be a big task.

Enjoying everyone's thoughts. 

I had my heart set on a 996 GT3, I came very close to buying twice. One was just a piece of crap and is still on the market. Second one the owner just wouldn’t move on price although we were very close. He also still has that car.

On my 996 search I just happened to see a turbo that was close by and “thought what the hell” with no experience or expectation with the 996 turbo within two seconds I was hooked. 

So sometimes waiting and looking at other models you haven’t considered can be the best surprise.

I recall buying a car a pastel colour because it was a good car- I hated the colour.

I recall being at a show and being complimented on the colour. At said car show after a few compliments, after moving the car or driving it around the show, I would park the car and quickly run from it due to the attention it would get, not wanting to talk of it. I didn’t pick the colour when it was built and it was never “my car”. I settled. Can always repaint a car though! 

Hi Wayne,

Been through the 997 Boxster and then I realised that my hair was going and sunburn wasn't an option in Brisbane.

Looked at the 997/996 and still wanted to keep the shape and general features of a 911 with enough kw's for town and country.

Found a 997 07 6spd in metallic basalt, 1 owner and haven't looked back after 5 years.

Couldn't really justify the "s" for larger wheels, red brake calipers and some extra kw's.

997 is really cheap to run and service, fairly well fault free.

Given we are in similar locations, a free drive is open, up to you maybe on the next drive day.

..............aa

You need to keep your radar on and open and its difficult to limit your options to a single specific car - you generally need to be flexible both in terms of ideal spec + price. 

No need to rush, take your time and wait for the "right" car - they can sometimes find you. 

4 hours ago, Fraz said:

I had my heart set on a 996 GT3, I came very close to buying twice. One was just a piece of crap and is still on the market. Second one the owner just wouldn’t move on price although we were very close. He also still has that car.

On my 996 search I just happened to see a turbo that was close by and “thought what the hell” with no experience or expectation with the 996 turbo within two seconds I was hooked. 

So sometimes waiting and looking at other models you haven’t considered can be the best surprise.

I've driven a GT3, yet to drive a turbo. Both cars emit something of a siren call to me. Maybe I need to try one of these turbo things to see how I feel about them. Do you ever feel a hankering for a GT3 now Fraz?

4 hours ago, Peter John said:

I recall buying a car a pastel colour because it was a good car- I hated the colour.

I recall being at a show and being complimented on the colour. At said car show after a few compliments, after moving the car or driving it around the show, I would park the car and quickly run from it due to the attention it would get, not wanting to talk of it. I didn’t pick the colour when it was built and it was never “my car”. I settled. Can always repaint a car though! 

My SC was rosewood metallic. I really liked the colour however it wasn't for everyone. Never ran away from the car because of it though. Wonder if anyone has ever sold and purchased the same model car purely because of the colour?

2 hours ago, aia said:

Hi Wayne,

Been through the 997 Boxster and then I realised that my hair was going and sunburn wasn't an option in Brisbane.

Given we are in similar locations, a free drive is open, up to you maybe on the next drive day.

Sunburn and cattle trucks are my primary concern with owning a convertible.  Boxster present some good buying though. Sounds as if I need to organise the next drive day asap.

1 hour ago, hugh said:

No need to rush, take your time and wait for the "right" car - they can sometimes find you. 

That's what I keep telling myself... not helping!

2 hours ago, hugh said:

You need to keep your radar on and open and its difficult to limit your options to a single specific car - you generally need to be flexible both in terms of ideal spec + price. 

Boom, nailed it.

13 minutes ago, bear924 said:

I've driven a GT3, yet to drive a turbo. Both cars emit something of a siren call to me. Maybe I need to try one of these turbo things to see how I feel about them. Do you ever feel a hankering for a GT3 now Fraz?

The thing with my Turbo is it has upgraded suspension, sway bars, 997 GT3 brakes, short shift, exhaust and a ecu tune.

So no don’t have a hankering for a GT3 at all. 

I wanted a good condition air cooled coupe, definitely didn’t want a Targa or cab or a project.

I’d been looking / waiting for about 2 years before the weekend we found the non running Targa that would eventually become mine, in a warehouse covered in dust having not moved for 20 years. Despite it being everything I wasn’t looking for and being a huge risk financially, something about it just struck a chord and the buy in was affordable. Haven’t looked back, that was nearly 3 years ago now. I think it’s possibly a case of you’ll know it when you see it / drive it, bit like Fraz with his turbot when you’re looking around like you are. 

44 minutes ago, bear924 said:

That's what I keep telling myself... not helping!

How long ago did you sell your SC? 2 months? Whats the rush, just sit on your wallet for the next few months and see what winter brings to the market. 

44 minutes ago, hugh said:

How long ago did you sell your SC? 2 months? Whats the rush, just sit on your wallet for the next few months and see what winter brings to the market. 

I often read about the UK market being affected by the season which I can understand with all the park ups. Does the market in Australia change with the seasons? I've typically done most my Porsche driving in winter as I've yet to own a P car with top notch A/C.

I don't think there is such a thing as "the right car".   Right for what? 

I think you are better served to strive for contentment rather than setting yourself some arbitrary benchmark of particular make, model and colour at a near on unaffordable cost that once the trill of the chase has subsided, is just a car after all.  

There are many "right" cars that will make you happy and content if you allow yourself to be.

Suggest you apply the "deathbed test"

On your deathbed, what will you remember?  The "right" car that you cleaned and polished but barely used because you were worried about putting too many KM or getting it stone chipped?  Or a car you liked and drove and didn't worry too much about?  The one that gave you lots of experiences that you shared with others? 

So what's contentment all about?  You're asking the wrong guy, but a quick Google search suggests:

Contentment provide the opportunity for minimalism, it reduces your stress level, improves your outlook, relaxes your body, and makes your life enjoyable. There is an unmistakable freedom that accompanies contentment: a freedom to be who you are, enjoy who you are, and live the life you were destined to live.

Yet in our consumeristic-culture where discontent is promoted and material gratification is encouraged, learning to be content can be very difficult. It is certainly a personal journey that we all must travel and nobody’s journey will look the same. Truly, there is no one-size-fits-all, seven-step program to fully-attain contentment in your life… but here are six keys that have helped us further develop contentment in our lives:

1. Become grateful. It is impossible to develop contentment without gratitude – they are inseparable. And a grateful person is one who has learned to focus on the good things in their life, not the things that they lack. When you begin to question what you have to be grateful for, just start making a list – a literal list of all the good things in your life. Don’t worry about finishing, you don’t need to. The simple discipline of beginning the exercise will undoubtedly shift your focus back to the many good things you already have.

2. Take control of your attitude. A person who lacks contentment in their life will often engage in “when and then thinking” – “when i get _______, then i will be happy.” Instead take control of your own life. Remember, your happiness is not reliant on the acquisition of any possession. Your happiness is based solely on your decision to be happy – and this may be one of the most important life lessons you can ever learn.

3. Break the habit of satisfying discontentment with acquisitions. For many of us, it has been ingrained into our lives that the proper way to diffuse discontent is to purchase the outward item that is seemingly causing the discontentment. Almost no energy is spent determining the true root of the discontent. Are you dissatisfied with your wardrobe? Go buy new clothes. Not content with your vehicle? Go buy a new one. We have gotten into the habit of satisfying our discontent by simply spending more money. We must break that habit. Understand that material possessions will never fully satisfy the desires of your heart (that’s why discontent always returns). The next time you recognize discontentment surfacing in your life, refuse to give into that bad habit. Instead, commit to better understand yourself and why the lack of that item is causing discontent. Only after you intentionally break this habit will true contentment begin to surface.

4. Stop comparing yourself to others. Comparing your life with someone else’s will always lead to discontentment. There will always be people who “appear” to be better off than you and seemingly living the perfect life. But be advised, we always compare the worst of what we know about ourselves to the best assumptions that we make about others. Their life is never as perfect as your mind makes it out to be. You are unique. You are special. And it’s always better that way.

5. Help others. When you begin helping others, sharing your talents, time and money, you will find yourself learning to be content. The practice will give you a finer appreciation for what you own, who you are, and what you have to offer.

6. Be content with what you have, never with what you are. Never stop learning, growing, or discovering. Take pride in your personhood and the progress that you have made, but never become so content that you cannot find room for improvement. Contentment is not the same as complacency. As soon as you stop growing, you start dying.

My story?

Early last year I sold my 993 and 3.2 with the intention of buying a 996 GT3 or a 997.  I thought at the time a more modern car would make me happier. Then it dawned on me that I didn't really want to go faster, I just wanted something that felt fast and was engaging and something that wasn't so precious that I worried about putting kilometres on it, modifying or even driving on gravel roads.  So I bought another 3.2, high mileage, in a colour combination that I said I'd never buy and haven't looked back.  I've also bought a few Ducatis over the last 3 years and surprise surprise, the ones I really enjoy are the cheaper ones that I bought out of curiosity rather than the ones I lusted over for years.  What's that saying about never meeting your heroes? 

13 minutes ago, Peter M said:

I don't think there is such a thing as "the right car".   Right for what? 

Looks badass and right for a flogging! (sounds badass is a +)

Buying a car is definitely affected by the season in the UK I don't think it's anywhere like the same here in Australia.If someone over values a car in summer on carsales I'm sure they will in Winter,some of them have been on for that long they've seen a few seasons by now.

54 minutes ago, bear924 said:

I often read about the UK market being affected by the season which I can understand with all the park ups. Does the market in Australia change with the seasons? I've typically done most my Porsche driving in winter as I've yet to own a P car with top notch A/C.

1 hour ago, bear924 said:

Bear, you've got the turbo for a little fun and nostalgia -- really hanging for the right car is half the fun, sort of... thrill of the chase and all that. Why not buy a 7.1 Cayman S man and that'll hold you over til the right car appears -- then unload it. Who knows, it may just be the right car anyway hahhah @Niko

(and great AirCond)

35 minutes ago, edgy said:

Deathbed test!!! ? @Peter M that is a good one

Also a useful device to get out of things you're not interested in:  "But Darling, I won't be thinking about the bathroom renovations on my deathbed.  So lets leave it another year.  I'll be thinking about all the extra time I was able to spend with you Sweetie."

:D

Some great comments! Really enjoyed your post and accompanying story Peter ... ty. 

I feel that the increase in Pcar prices over the last few years has in many ways damaged the enthusiast centred Porsche ownership . The rising price means that they now cost more to insure, people are more scared about using them and devaluing the car and many non enthusiast have 'invested' which takes great cars off the roads. The positive I can see is that when something goes bang, the repair costs compared to car's value means that more will be repaired.  One thing I am very aware of is buying something that I'm too scared to drive due to increasing mileage, and with my DD just about to click over 300k kms, I know that newish cars can go for a long time without major failures if maintained well. 

I do get the idea of finding contentment with the car that you currently own. In many ways it is how I approach buying these cars, I owned the SC for 9 years and still smiled when I drove it. My primary reason to sell it was to try something from a different era, to broaden my Porsche horizons.... and to get something a little less fatiguing on the long drives I tend to do. Whatever I purchase next I expect I'll keep for 10+ years, with maybe one more P car purchase after that.... after that I'll probably just buy a solar powered Macan that I can fit the grand kids into. (hopefully by then kids won't trash cars as quickly as they do now!!)

Keep the thoughts coming. The different car buying experiences are awesome as we nearly all have to 'settle' for something when we buy. Also be interesting in see how people try to define their 'right car'. My thoughts on right car:

- Need to be able to drive it without being concerned about kms and to some extent stone chips etc. 
- Car needs air conditioning that works all year round. Otherwise I find it is too easy to find an excuse not to use it for the non epic trips.
- Car needs to be fast enough (define that as you will - I'll define it as being more powerful than my dd FG falcon (~260hp/ 391 NM))
- Car needs to appeal to my inner Porsche nerd. (For me, probably means a 911 of some type however there are a few other variants in other models that would tick this box)
- Car needs to be tidy. I can always improve my 924 if I have that itch to scratch.

30 minutes ago, bear924 said:

- Need to be able to drive it without being concerned about kms and to some extent stone chips etc. 
- Car needs air conditioning that works all year round. Otherwise I find it is too easy to find an excuse not to use it for the non epic trips.
- Car needs to be fast enough (define that as you will - I'll define it as being more powerful than my dd FG falcon (~260hp/ 391 NM))
- Car needs to appeal to my inner Porsche nerd. (For me, probably means a 911 of some type however there are a few other variants in other models that would tick this box)
- Car needs to be tidy. I can always improve my 924 if I have that itch to scratch.

If it's just for you and a passenger with no expensive accesories (aka, kids) you need to try a Cayman I reckon. Or a 996 ofcourse. Throw on some bigger rims, clear wrap on the front to stop stone chips if you're that concerned about it, and enjoy the car for a helluva lot less cash than an air cooled

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Also a useful device to get out of things you're not interested in:  "But Darling, I won't be thinking about the bathroom renovations on my deathbed.  So lets leave it another year.  I'll be thinking about all the extra time I was able to spend with you Sweetie."

:D

You've been saying that for years Peter!

9 hours ago, bear924 said:

My thoughts on right car:

You are destined to steer a 996..  Be that an NA, a TT or a GT3.

There - I've narrowed your search somewhat.!

Archived