New Classic Blaupunkt Head Unit

bumble

38 minutes ago, Peter M said:

449 Euros for something I can barely hear of the rauchous din anyway!

The VDO ones are worth a look too but acknowledge they don't have the historic connection the 'punkts do.  Nice find Mark.

Continental also do a unit which is the same as the VDO (Continental own VDO) but with orange backlight. With or without CD and DAB and  BlueTooth for phone and music. 

https://www.continental-automotive.com/en-gl/Trucks-Buses/Interior-Cabin/Infotainment/Radios

I have looked at the Continental previously from www.soundlabs.com.au.  They based in the Southern Highlands.  They also do Blaupunkt Toronto and Becker (even a refurbed Cassette player ?) and their prices seem ok...  I'll wait for the release of the Bremen and see what Oz prices look like.

I emailed Blaupunkt Asia-Pac to check on distribution/retailing into Australia - there are no plans to release this model in Australia.  Can you buy something like this from Europe and just plug-and-play?  Or are there geo-specific tech differences (eg. radio frequencies particularly DAB+) which means it won't work at all?  I suppose same question applies to the (very exxy) Porsche Classic solution of a couple of years ago.  Someone on here tech-savvy will know the answer...

For many reasons, DAB+ has been a huge disappointment in Australia, not least of which is that the music stations here broadcast such pathetically low bit rates.  On that basis alone, I don't see any necessity to include it in my list of 'must haves' for a head unit.  Check out  http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Continental-Car-Radio/ selection of Continental units.  For me, the CD7416-UB OR is preferred because my other half insists on carting around a bunch of those round silver things with a hole in the middle ?

18 hours ago, bumble said:

For many reasons, DAB+ has been a huge disappointment in Australia, not least of which is that the music stations here broadcast such pathetically low bit rates.  On that basis alone, I don't see any necessity to include it in my list of 'must haves' for a head unit.  Check out  http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Continental-Car-Radio/ selection of Continental units.  For me, the CD7416-UB OR is preferred because my other half insists on carting around a bunch of those round silver things with a hole in the middle ?

Yeah, the FM signal is much better.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:45 AM, Damienb said:

I emailed Blaupunkt Asia-Pac to check on distribution/retailing into Australia - there are no plans to release this model in Australia.  Can you buy something like this from Europe and just plug-and-play?  Or are there geo-specific tech differences (eg. radio frequencies particularly DAB+) which means it won't work at all?  I suppose same question applies to the (very exxy) Porsche Classic solution of a couple of years ago.  Someone on here tech-savvy will know the answer...

I bought a Blaupunkt ex-DDR for my GTS and it works perfectly (metro Melbs), if you speak Deutsche. ?  Ja, alles gut.  It's fine.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:15 PM, ANF said:

What, no Cd!

This is going in mine

You can still find N.O.S. Blaupunkt or good used ones that look pretty close to period without silly price tags....

This is the head unit I have in my 964. I then connected a Parrot BT kit and the remote hides in the ashtray. Although this is a good looking headunit, I am thinking of replacing it with an all in one unit like a Continental or this new Blaupunkt. My Parrot BT kit runs off a small hidden amp and the BT controls are all done by the hidden remote and not the Nakamichi headunit. This headunit is just an ornament in the dash (and a digital clock) as I don't listen to the radio or CDs so it is redundant for my needs. 

35236867670_96a696dd78_b.jpg 

• 10 months later...
On 28/08/2018 at 01:01, bumble said:

@bumbleDid you end up putting the continental unit in? I’m looking for a replacement  for the aftermarket in the SC that will do Bluetooth phone and music.

I have put  Blaupunkt Torino in 2 of my cars.  When I sat the Continental next to the Blaupunkt, I preferred the look of the Blaupunkt (cool blue vs orange) and the fact it has the Aux-in socket on the front panel whereas the Continental has it on the back.  Feature and performance wise they both do Bluetooth phone and music and I think you'd be happy with either.  The Continental is a bit easier to configure IMO.

38 minutes ago, poli84 said:

Seems this is now available for purchase http://axelaudio.pro/autoradio/384-bremen-sqr-46-dab.html

Can anyone with an understanding of Australian frequencies and DAB+, etc, etc tell me whether this unit will work as designed in Australia?

Looks expensive compared to the Continental.........