Australian motorsport future

LeeM

Somebody must be watching Foxtel though?

Fixing Motorsport means bringing back personalities.  We remember the best cars not because they were just the best machines but because they were part of a drivers story. 

The conflict is that modern Motorsport needs big money and big money wants safe investments- which means stale personalities and lots of rules.  Which is the exact opposite of what people want.  They want relatable people and different approaches to solving the problem of winning races.

Honestly a YouTube racing series where the drivers have to produce x minutes of behind the scenes footage as well as race cam in a series with weight, capacity , tyre and brakes rules would be engaging and interesting.   Something like ten races a year around the place and 20 drivers all producing content in their preparation, travel etc.   The most popular drivers would end up being the most entertaining personalities who could also drive.  Imagine 20 different Cletus McFarland style channels all coming together 10 times a year to race.  You’d follow the builds, the failures and then the victories.   And the merch and product placements would be gold after a successful season or two.   Way better than a sterilised race meet where you get to hear a drivers press conference and the rest of the air time is insufferable commentators talking about watts linkages.

That's the thing. There is too much focus on all the crap associated with big money racing, and not JUST the racing now. It's a business, and all the drivers want money from whatever avenue they can to pay for their drives and lifestyle (which I still think is wrong that a good driver has to pay to play), and the teams need wads of cash to keep racing when circuits, promoters etc all want a slice of the money pie. When bloody good drivers can't find the budget to get a competative drive (I'll use a Supercar driver Michael Caruso as an example here) you know there is something wrong.

I personally don't care to know what a driver goes through prior to or after a race meeting, as in this day and age of YouTube/Instagram 'Look at me and give me money' there is too much focus on the individuals and what car/house/watch they can buy. All I want to do is watch the racing, and completely agree with the amount of dribble commentators go on about which we are forced to listen to.

Not bashing anyone here, but I watch Fox every day, as me and the missus don't have kids, don't go out much by choice, like watching movies, doco's and motorsport and enjoy being at home with our dog more than most, so instead of blowing $100 a night on meals and/or 5 drinks at a pub every week, we have Foxtel at $20/week. I really don't understand why people bash Foxtel all the time when free to air tv is just reality shows and ads every 8 minutes. Sure Fox has ads which are also annoying (doco channels are probably worse than free to air!), yet when live motorsport is on, you have to hold off going to the loo as there are no ad breaks and you don't miss a thing. Foxtel has lifted the game for motorsport and sport in general by a shitload which has companies throwing money at some teams, yet just because people can't justify spending $20/week to watch it, that's their problem to deal with. What do they buy or do to entertain themselves for $20 or less? Each to their own, so maybe some should just be a little more accepting of what others like and go on with what they like to do

I should get off my arse and attend more grass roots local race meetings this year, as big time motorsport just isn't as entertaining as it was, and I'm also hoping to buy a Kart to get back out on a track now and then, coz after racing bikes and karts for more than half my life, I miss the speed and adrenaline

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

That's the thing. There is too much focus on all the crap associated with big money racing, and not JUST the racing now. It's a business, and all the drivers want money from whatever avenue they can to pay for their drives and lifestyle (which I still think is wrong that a good driver has to pay to play), and the teams need wads of cash to keep racing when circuits, promoters etc all want a slice of the money pie. When bloody good drivers can't find the budget to get a competative drive (I'll use a Supercar driver Michael Caruso as an example here) you know there is something wrong.

I personally don't care to know what a driver goes through prior to or after a race meeting, as in this day and age of YouTube/Instagram 'Look at me and give me money' there is too much focus on the individuals and what car/house/watch they can buy. All I want to do is watch the racing, and completely agree with the amount of dribble commentators go on about which we are forced to listen to.

Not bashing anyone here, but I watch Fox every day, as me and the missus don't have kids, don't go out much by choice, like watching movies, doco's and motorsport and enjoy being at home with our dog more than most, so instead of blowing $100 a night on meals and/or 5 drinks at a pub every week, we have Foxtel at $20/week. I really don't understand why people bash Foxtel all the time when free to air tv is just reality shows and ads every 8 minutes. Sure Fox has ads which are also annoying (doco channels are probably worse than free to air!), yet when live motorsport is on, you have to hold off going to the loo as there are no ad breaks and you don't miss a thing. Foxtel has lifted the game for motorsport and sport in general by a shitload which has companies throwing money at some teams, yet just because people can't justify spending $20/week to watch it, that's their problem to deal with. What do they buy or do to entertain themselves for $20 or less? Each to their own, so maybe some should just be a little more accepting of what others like and go on with what they like to do

I should get off my arse and attend more grass roots local race meetings this year, as big time motorsport just isn't as entertaining as it was, and I'm also hoping to buy a Kart to get back out on a track now and then, coz after racing bikes and karts for more than half my life, I miss the speed and adrenaline

There you go - GOYA Motorsport, lead the way 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think TCR with take over V8s in a few years. The cars are more achievable for your average punter, and hot hatches seem to be getting more popular. 

But if they can't get it on free to air it's hard to drum up Interest. But the kayo $25/month Foxtel sports option will certainly help. 

I definately think GT will grow a fair bit but not at the pace that TCR will, I love the GT races on F1 weekend!

The way Foxtel are going lately, we'll be lucky to have any motorsport on there! Without any notice, they've stopped televising NASCAR (no great loss for me) World Rally (damn it) British touring cars, NHRA drags, some World endurance, World Speedway etc. All I can see being televised live here now is Supercars (meh!) MotoGP, World Superbikes and F1 (yawn). The new Kayo live streaming seems to be taking over which I think Foxtel have an interest in (surprise surprise, as they've also teamed up with Netflix), so expect most motorsport to be live streamed and not on free to air OR Foxtel

Fox has become so full of ads now, it's probably as bad as free to air, and as we've been platinum members since I can remember (we like being at home), I've told the missus we're dumping half the channels to only keep movies and sport, as it's just not worth the money now.

Might be time to get back into Karting and do it myself

17 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Sounds like Foxtel is building an empire.  Get the rights to telecast everything and only broadcast the events that pay the most.  Good way to kill a sport

A good way to kill off subscribers too. I know 3 blokes who have cancelled theirs this week after NASCAR got the boot. Foxtel are copping a lot of flack over it on social media, but they've not explained why or reply to anyone about it. Pretty poor form really.

As I mentioned, we have everything but High Definition, so we're nearly paying the most, as again, we rarely go out spending money on going to the movies, pubs or dinners etc so it's cheap entertainment in our eyes at $35/week for Fox when that's one steak meal at a restaurant, but when new subscribers get it cheaper it's a bit of a slap in the face after probably 15-20 years of being a subscriber. 

Most live motorsport is now being replayed on YouTube the following day, so if you can wait and plug a laptop into a tv as I do with live streams or replays you're not missing much

I had Foxtel for 15 years started at $49.99 a month but the price keeped going up and up each year till it was $100 a month I contacted them and asked thet they work out a deal as we had been loyal customers for 15 years always paid on time etc .

they didnt want to do anything for me and just said get a lesser package ,,,I insisted after 15 years you can do better or I pull the pin .................No more Foxtel and never again no matter how good of deal they offer ..

Yep I've got 2 premium packages at 100 p/m each and have been meaning to cancel for a while. I'm moving to Netflix cheap package for the girl and an el cheapo sports F1/ Moto GP/afl package. Everything else I watch, listen or follow these days is on youtube AND IT'S FREE:rofl:

@Raven @Troubleshooter

I tried changing my package on the Foxtel website which has a delete option next to whatever you subscribe to, yet you can't do that which is pointless having the delete option and have to call them. Tried that, keeps going to message bank for them to call me back and have also emailed them to no avail. It's like I'm trapped! 

That,s their whole agenda make it as difficult as possible to pull the pin and or get the best possible deal....just like the phone providers ,,,and electricity providers ...

for months after I left they would call me up offering deals and discounts to reconnect .....I said you had your chance its to late now not interested .

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

@Raven @Troubleshooter

I tried changing my package on the Foxtel website which has a delete option next to whatever you subscribe to, yet you can't do that which is pointless having the delete option and have to call them. Tried that, keeps going to message bank for them to call me back and have also emailed them to no avail. It's like I'm trapped! 

Like Raven said, all these organisations try and make it near on impossible to leave. Here's the easy way - just stop paying them! Once my fuxtel is all cancelled and finished I'll just sign up as a new customer on the pov sports pack.

I once cancelled years and years ago and they kept pestering me post back the IQ boxes and I always replied come and get 'em hahahaha, despite all "threats" from them I just threw 'em in the recycling 2 months later and never heard another word from them.

@Troubleshooter  I've just FINALLY got through to them (I was determined today) to drop a few channels and save $30/month, yet they offered me a new deal to keep the Platinum package at $50 cheaper/month treating me as a new subscriber and no lock in contract. A small win, but a win nonetheless

Now watching live World Superbikes 👍

15 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@Troubleshooter  I've just FINALLY got through to them (I was determined today) to drop a few channels and save $30/month, yet they offered me a new deal to keep the Platinum package at $50 cheaper/month treating me as a new subscriber and no lock in contract. A small win, but a win nonetheless

Now watching live World Superbikes 👍

Hahhaa how about that. Nice win! They must be readers of the forum, we have long tentacles...

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

but when new subscribers get it cheaper it's a bit of a slap in the face after probably 15-20 years of being a subscriber. 

Threaten to disconnect...you'll get a better offer.

Took us 3 or more years to get away from them because they would offer a better deal each time we tried to quit and the wife would fall for it.

33 minutes ago, firstone said:

That's it. Hit em while they're shitn.

Same as my bank deal a couple of weeks ago. Everyone is voting with their feet, 

Plenty won't though.

I'm pretty slack and just go with the flow, yet as my work is pretty bloody slow and having random days off and trying to find any other work just to pay the bills, I've added up what our outgoings are the other day 😳

Fritz n sauce sangers and noodles for the foreseeable future! (Devon as the Mexicans call it) 

1 minute ago, OZ930 said:

Threaten to disconnect...you'll get a better offer.

Took us 3 or more years to get away from them because they would offer a better deal each time we tried to quit and the wife would fall for it.

That's basically how I got this new deal. I am a sucker though. If MotoGP goes, I'll cancel it

Was talking about this last night with brother inlaw ,,,if the V8 supercars are going to foxtel and no longer being aired on free to air TV does this mean the Bathurst 1000 will no longer be on free to air ...........?????

8 minutes ago, Raven said:

Was talking about this last night with brother inlaw ,,,if the V8 supercars are going to foxtel and no longer being aired on free to air TV does this mean the Bathurst 1000 will no longer be on free to air ...........?????

Only the V8 endurance rounds are televised on free to air, Adelaide 500, Sandown, Bathurst etc. And incase others don't know, Bathurst 1000 is traditionally after the Sandown round, but it's now prior to Sandown. All other rounds are Foxtel exclusive. I think there won't be any rounds televised on free to air next year

For me the only motorsport I regularly watch is the Goodwood revival. For me that shows to peak of motorsports. The cars are are widely varied, close to stock, they slide around, with no aero or driver aids. It is the most entertaining racing out there for my money.

I went to the Bathurst 12 hour for the first time this year and it was fantastic. The variety of cars and the nail biting last 30 mins was amazing. The fact that in the final minutes the 3 leading cars were running a V12, a V8 and a flat 6, emphasised the variety in the field and they were all in with a chance. That meant that there was groups of vastly different fans of different marques, and it keeps things interesting.

The issue is it always comes down to money. The bulk of the motorsport fans, in Aus' at least, are bogans who ultimately want to watch prehistoric muscle cars battle it out. They don't relate to Porsches, or Ferraris or Bentley's. I agree that maybe something closer to the BTTC format would be much better than the V8SC's we have now. The series should at feature cars that came off of the factory production line, not just some tube frame thing that looks a bit like a production car.