Australian motorsport future

LeeM

12 hours ago, JV911 said:

Will this rekindle interest 

No, I don't think so. I actually just wasted 6mins watching those 2 boneheads, that's all i could bear, i hope they have a day job. Ok did anyone here really watch any of that or am i the only idiot?

Maybe Chevrolet will introduce the Camaro to rival the Mustang, that would be exciting, wouldn't it................?

Or maybe Holden, err GM, err Opel could throw up one of their bland offerings of "sports" cars, apparently this was talked about at one stage.

Holden potential coupe 2

5 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Will someone please give that mustang a proper sized set of wheels?  

And make it actually look like a Mustang, not a Hyundai! 

That's the problem with this 'Cars of the future' chassis. They had to modify the crap out of the Mustang shape to make it fit the cage. I think it looks ridiculous personally, and it's been getting a flogging by a lot of the Ford fans with some hilarious photoshopped pics, not to mention that wing! 😳 

The Supercar management are making it all a bit too much of money making machine and not about the fans, as a lot just can't afford the entry price to the various rounds. Superutes? Come on now, that is the biggest joke I have ever seen in Australian motorsport. F4 open wheelers last year was touted as being the biggest thing for up and coming drivers, yet max grids of 10 cars (dwindled to 6) for the rich kids was a flop as a support category. Hate to say it, but even Touring Car Masters has become the Johnson/Bowe show with the occasional extra winner when both of them have car trouble or crash. Aussie Racing Cars is just a vehicle for the V8 teams to provide a bit more tv time for their sponsors, yet does provide some good racing. Unless Paul Morris is driving, then it's a demo derby! 😁

What I am excited about is the Carrera Cup this year will be a cracker I reckon, as there are probably 10 drivers that can win, so as usual that will be all I'm interested in when the V8's are on Fox

2 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Ok did anyone here really watch any of that or am i the only idiot?

I got through 3 minutes, so I'm 50% idiot 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

And make it actually look like a Mustang, not a Hyundai! 

That's the problem with this 'Cars of the future' chassis. They had to modify the crap out of the Mustang shape to make it fit the cage. I think it looks ridiculous personally, and it's been getting a flogging by a lot of the Ford fans with some hilarious photoshopped pics, not to mention that wing! 😳 

The Supercar management are making it all a bit too much of money making machine and not about the fans, as a lot just can't afford the entry price to the various rounds. Superutes? Come on now, that is the biggest joke I have ever seen in Australian motorsport. F4 open wheelers last year was touted as being the biggest thing for up and coming drivers, yet max grids of 10 cars (dwindled to 6) for the rich kids was a flop as a support category. Hate to say it, but even Touring Car Masters has become the Johnson/Bowe show with the occasional extra winner when both of them have car trouble or crash. Aussie Racing Cars is just a vehicle for the V8 teams to provide a bit more tv time for their sponsors, yet does provide some good racing. Unless Paul Morris is driving, then it's a demo derby! 😁

What I am excited about is the Carrera Cup this year will be a cracker I reckon, as there are probably 10 drivers that can win, so as usual that will be all I'm interested in when the V8's are on Fox

I got through 3 minutes, so I'm 50% idiot 

Oh LeeM don't sell yourself short mate. 😂

MotoGP is the only thing on TV that gets me to set an alarm, no matter what time it's on.

Kills every other form of motor sport.

For four wheels the tracks need to be wider and / or the cars smaller, I love watching Aussie cars because of the overtaking. I can't get excited about someone winning a race with their pit strategy or trying their one overtaking maneuver only to have it fail in an explosion of carbon.

However the finish to the Bathurst 12 hour was something special. Precision overtaking at its best!! Supercars have gone off my radar a long time ago. Whats the answer? Dunno. Hats off to the person that finds it.

Well said @Rob H

This year is shaping up to be one of the best for MotoGP, especially with Lorenzo and Marquez in the same team. The World Superbikes was great last weekend with Bautista flogging everyone on the new V4 Ducati. First full SBK race meeting I've watched for 2 years or more. Will be interesting to see what the next couple of races are like

I would love to see Aussie motorsport going back to the old days. Various classes in the race and cars that apart from extra safety requirements are vehicles you can buy. 

The old "race on Sunday sell on Monday".

However there should also be a dollar limit as in no cars can race if the RRP is more than $150k.

That would open it up to all manufactures and should have closer racing.

Lets face it todays Mustang that you can buy from the showroom has more HP than any Bathurst winner from the 70's and early 80's and arguably handle just as well.

Now don't get me wrong I know I'm dreaming but it would be nice.

Oh and get rid of F@#KING FOXTEL from motorsport. Sorry that subject gets me angry.

Ok rant over😀

No offence intended to anyone here, as it's not a personal attack yet it will probably annoy some people (you should know me by now).

Ok, fair enough people don't like Foxtel, I totally understand that and fair enough, yet being a motorsport fan, there is NO better coverage of it than on Fox. I switched on Fox today when I got home at 2pm and watched live motorsport for 4 hours non stop, and right now it is all being replayed as I type. Do you get that on FTA? No, you get either a cooking show or a bunch of idiots getting married at first sight. You want annoying? Look at channel 7's utter SHIT coverage of the Bathurst 12 hour last month with more fkn ads than actual racing and they missed a lot of the action without follow up replays! The sooner that goes exclusively to Fox or live stream the better.

Do channel 10 still have F1 and MotoGP? Last time I saw that on free to air you missed half the race through ads and a couple of dozy commentators who sounded like they would rather be watching lawn bowls! Comments I've read all over social media are usually from people who say 'When can I go for a piss...When can I get a drink...Give it back to free to air wah wah wah' Seriously? There was even a group of muppets who opposed the Supercar/Foxtel deal and tried taking it to court to force the government to intervene to get it back on FTA. Idiots! 😂😂 

Free to air coverage of any sport or even movies is shit, simple as that, and even though live streaming seems to be taking over live sport, you're going to have to pay for it eventually. Look at the new Netflix and Foxtel collaboration for instance. There will be a time when you have to have both, because Fox obviously think if you can't beat them, buy them out, and they have the funds to be able to do that. There will be a Netflix button on all Fox remote controls, so expect that to be exclusive. Is that right? Ofcourse not, but that's big business nowadays and they dont care about you or me, only their shareholders and making a shitload of money for them. Foxtel/Supercars and new live stream mob Kayo are in bed together so that everyone gets a slice of the pie. 

Again, I'm not attacking ANYONE here personally, it's just my point of view being a Foxtel subscriber for 15 years who doesnt watch free to air. Gotta go now, as Carrera Cup is being replayed shortly 😁👍

On 6 February 2019 at 19:11, LeeM said:

@TwoHeadsTas

I agree with the BTCC from years ago, yet even though it does provide good racing now, it's the buzz boxes they drive is what annoys me.

I think all racing has become a little too clinical, and as my missus said the other day (shocked the hell out of me) that most races are won in the pits by the ones with the laptops telling the drivers their tyre pressures are down, and they have to come into the pits. She's pretty well on the money there 

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

No offence intended to anyone here, as it's not a personal attack yet it will probably annoy some people (you should know me by now).

Ok, fair enough people don't like Foxtel, I totally understand that and fair enough, yet being a motorsport fan, there is NO better coverage of it than on Fox. I switched on Fox today when I got home at 2pm and watched live motorsport for 4 hours non stop, and right now it is all being replayed as I type. Do you get that on FTA? No, you get either a cooking show or a bunch of idiots getting married at first sight. You want annoying? Look at channel 7's utter SHIT coverage of the Bathurst 12 hour last month with more fkn ads than actual racing and they missed a lot of the action without follow up replays! The sooner that goes exclusively to Fox or live stream the better.

Do channel 10 still have F1 and MotoGP? Last time I saw that on free to air you missed half the race through ads and a couple of dozy commentators who sounded like they would rather be watching lawn bowls! Comments I've read all over social media are usually from people who say 'When can I go for a piss...When can I get a drink...Give it back to free to air wah wah wah' Seriously? There was even a group of muppets who opposed the Supercar/Foxtel deal and tried taking it to court to force the government to intervene to get it back on FTA. Idiots! 😂😂 

Free to air coverage of any sport or even movies is shit, simple as that, and even though live streaming seems to be taking over live sport, you're going to have to pay for it eventually. Look at the new Netflix and Foxtel collaboration for instance. There will be a time when you have to have both, because Fox obviously think if you can't beat them, buy them out, and they have the funds to be able to do that. There will be a Netflix button on all Fox remote controls, so expect that to be exclusive. Is that right? Ofcourse not, but that's big business nowadays and they dont care about you or me, only their shareholders and making a shitload of money for them. Foxtel/Supercars and new live stream mob Kayo are in bed together so that everyone gets a slice of the pie. 

Again, I'm not attacking ANYONE here personally, it's just my point of view being a Foxtel subscriber for 15 years who doesnt watch free to air. Gotta go now, as Carrera Cup is being replayed shortly 😁👍

You should start a thread for hating or loving Foxtel. This post has nothing to do with the Aus Motorsport Future. I like you passion though.

22 minutes ago, Arnage said:

You should start a thread for hating or loving Foxtel. This post has nothing to do with the Aus Motorsport Future. I like you passion though.

Just replying to the above mate. I think it does have something to do with the future of motorsport though, because without television rights, most teams/privateers probably wouldn't be able to secure sponsorship.

No point starting a love/hate Foxtel thread, as it's usually 50/50 anyway 👍😁

> even though live streaming seems to be takingover live sport, you're going to have to pay for it eventually.

this is very true and the sooner we get there the better.  Live streaming allows you to pay specifically for what you want and not the rest.  It’s also way way cheaper than cable with any sort of inclusions beyond cooking shows and ‘reality’ shows.

Live streaming the Australian open costs about $8 (from memory) per running of the event and has no ads, and covers everything.   That is the future, along with providers who bundle subscription with on demand movies, cross device and all in 4K .   Motorsport will get there once all the current contracts die a natural death.

7 hours ago, firstone said:

All this bs about rights plays into my hands. I'm not paying for tv of any sort. If they don't have it i don't see it. No big deal, I just get more shit done. 😉

And that's more than fair enough. Sadly, my lawns resemble a pulled apart hay bale, the gutters need painting and gawd knows what else needs doing, but as it's still summer and I work hard enough in the heat every day, watching tv with the air cond flat out is my foreseeable future 😁

6 hours ago, Coastr said:

Live streaming the Australian open costs about $8 (from memory) per running of the event and has no ads, and covers everything.   That is the future, along with providers who bundle subscription with on demand movies, cross device and all in 4K .   Motorsport will get there once all the current contracts die a natural death.

I understand that re live streaming, though when you work it out at $8-$12/event and you have a few events you want to watch (e:g 10 events @ $8 = $80), you're better off having Foxtel at $29/month just for the sports channels then add $10/ channel package after that if you want other channels. That, and they often replay full races which you can record if you missed it live. If that's what happens with motorsport or all sports in general, well I deal with that accordingly.

I'm not trying to justify my subscription or push it on others, but I've looked into all the other options for what I want and Foxtel is the best option for me and the missus with sport, doco's and movies for $25-30/week which is the price of one half decent bottle of red or a meal for one at a pub

2 minutes ago, firstone said:

Horse's for courses mate. 🐴

I sleep in front of the tv so i miss most of anyway. 😂

😂😂 So do I, which is why I'm glad they replay everything 😁 

• 2 weeks later...

I now Ryan Walkinshaw has been running a GT3 Cup R in the Australian series for some time now ,,,perhaps some of these guys see the writing on the wall ,and or a slow death for V8 supercars series ....

australian-gt-australian-endurance-sydne

I'd been following their GT3 progress, though since their ex team manager Adrian Burgess got royally shafted and used as a scapegoat by Walkinshaw for their lack of results, I'm not a fan of the team

• 5 months later...

It's been dragged out for far too long with the original series promoter getting shafted by Supercars I believe. 

Australia needs this series when they only have those ridiculous 'Super Utes' failing badly as a well promoted support category. Personally, apart from Carrera Cup, the whole Supercar series is becoming a joke with now 3 classes of V8 series' being the main game, Super 2's and 3's. What's the point of watching basically the same cars with different paint jobs go round in circles? Bores the shit out of me. The Touring Car Masters get shafted all the time, the GT's are becoming a very boring category with low entries (just 10 cars at The Bend not long ago) and insisting on endurance races which to me are boring due to fuel and tyre strategies and no balls out, fender banging racing, the F4 open wheelers was just for rich kids and very low entries due to the exorbitant costs, not to mention the very high cost of just entering a meeting makes it an impossibility for those who aren't that well healed. 

The organisers of all higher profile motorpsort need to get back to basics with support categories to make it worthwhile for people to go and watch, and stop trying to make a fortune out of it with ticket prices and ripping off the home grown competitors. Russell Ingall recently wanted to take his kids to watch the V8's in Queensland, but it was going to cost him $500 or so for just one day so he didnt go. I also looked at the admission price for one day for me and the missus at The Bend next weekend for the Supercars (only interested in watching the Carrera Cup), yet by the time you consider travel, entry, food n drinks we both said no way we're paying that! I know they all need to make some money, but instead of incessantly increasing the admission prices, why not halve it, have twice as many bums on seats and make the same amount of money as they would with half the crowd? 

Supercars has lost its flavour with many die hard Ford v Holden fans due to Foxtel and hardly any free to air tv (I have Fox so I dont really care about that), yet most of the fan base are people who can't afford to drop $500-1000 for a weekend taking the family to a race meeting. The new TCR series with Euro 4 bangers is cheap to go and watch apparently and the racing isnt too bad with some biff n barge, but is it really that interesting when most of the cars regulalry blow up and/or fall apart? They're no threat to Supercars as it's a different fan demographic, yet the Supercar and GT series management need to take a look at TCR and see how they run it. 

These S5000's need to have 20 cars on the grid minimum, not 13, and I'm sure Garry Rogers will be making a motza out of the rent a ride competitors. I just hope it's good racing, because in this day and age, unless its grass roots racing, it's boring as bat shit to watch