Sign in to follow this  
LeeM

Australian motorsport future

Somebody must be watching Foxtel though?

Fixing Motorsport means bringing back personalities.  We remember the best cars not because they were just the best machines but because they were part of a drivers story. 

The conflict is that modern Motorsport needs big money and big money wants safe investments- which means stale personalities and lots of rules.  Which is the exact opposite of what people want.  They want relatable people and different approaches to solving the problem of winning races.

Honestly a YouTube racing series where the drivers have to produce x minutes of behind the scenes footage as well as race cam in a series with weight, capacity , tyre and brakes rules would be engaging and interesting.   Something like ten races a year around the place and 20 drivers all producing content in their preparation, travel etc.   The most popular drivers would end up being the most entertaining personalities who could also drive.  Imagine 20 different Cletus McFarland style channels all coming together 10 times a year to race.  You’d follow the builds, the failures and then the victories.   And the merch and product placements would be gold after a successful season or two.   Way better than a sterilised race meet where you get to hear a drivers press conference and the rest of the air time is insufferable commentators talking about watts linkages.

That's the thing. There is too much focus on all the crap associated with big money racing, and not JUST the racing now. It's a business, and all the drivers want money from whatever avenue they can to pay for their drives and lifestyle (which I still think is wrong that a good driver has to pay to play), and the teams need wads of cash to keep racing when circuits, promoters etc all want a slice of the money pie. When bloody good drivers can't find the budget to get a competative drive (I'll use a Supercar driver Michael Caruso as an example here) you know there is something wrong.

I personally don't care to know what a driver goes through prior to or after a race meeting, as in this day and age of YouTube/Instagram 'Look at me and give me money' there is too much focus on the individuals and what car/house/watch they can buy. All I want to do is watch the racing, and completely agree with the amount of dribble commentators go on about which we are forced to listen to.

Not bashing anyone here, but I watch Fox every day, as me and the missus don't have kids, don't go out much by choice, like watching movies, doco's and motorsport and enjoy being at home with our dog more than most, so instead of blowing $100 a night on meals and/or 5 drinks at a pub every week, we have Foxtel at $20/week. I really don't understand why people bash Foxtel all the time when free to air tv is just reality shows and ads every 8 minutes. Sure Fox has ads which are also annoying (doco channels are probably worse than free to air!), yet when live motorsport is on, you have to hold off going to the loo as there are no ad breaks and you don't miss a thing. Foxtel has lifted the game for motorsport and sport in general by a shitload which has companies throwing money at some teams, yet just because people can't justify spending $20/week to watch it, that's their problem to deal with. What do they buy or do to entertain themselves for $20 or less? Each to their own, so maybe some should just be a little more accepting of what others like and go on with what they like to do

I should get off my arse and attend more grass roots local race meetings this year, as big time motorsport just isn't as entertaining as it was, and I'm also hoping to buy a Kart to get back out on a track now and then, coz after racing bikes and karts for more than half my life, I miss the speed and adrenaline

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

That's the thing. There is too much focus on all the crap associated with big money racing, and not JUST the racing now. It's a business, and all the drivers want money from whatever avenue they can to pay for their drives and lifestyle (which I still think is wrong that a good driver has to pay to play), and the teams need wads of cash to keep racing when circuits, promoters etc all want a slice of the money pie. When bloody good drivers can't find the budget to get a competative drive (I'll use a Supercar driver Michael Caruso as an example here) you know there is something wrong.

I personally don't care to know what a driver goes through prior to or after a race meeting, as in this day and age of YouTube/Instagram 'Look at me and give me money' there is too much focus on the individuals and what car/house/watch they can buy. All I want to do is watch the racing, and completely agree with the amount of dribble commentators go on about which we are forced to listen to.

Not bashing anyone here, but I watch Fox every day, as me and the missus don't have kids, don't go out much by choice, like watching movies, doco's and motorsport and enjoy being at home with our dog more than most, so instead of blowing $100 a night on meals and/or 5 drinks at a pub every week, we have Foxtel at $20/week. I really don't understand why people bash Foxtel all the time when free to air tv is just reality shows and ads every 8 minutes. Sure Fox has ads which are also annoying (doco channels are probably worse than free to air!), yet when live motorsport is on, you have to hold off going to the loo as there are no ad breaks and you don't miss a thing. Foxtel has lifted the game for motorsport and sport in general by a shitload which has companies throwing money at some teams, yet just because people can't justify spending $20/week to watch it, that's their problem to deal with. What do they buy or do to entertain themselves for $20 or less? Each to their own, so maybe some should just be a little more accepting of what others like and go on with what they like to do

I should get off my arse and attend more grass roots local race meetings this year, as big time motorsport just isn't as entertaining as it was, and I'm also hoping to buy a Kart to get back out on a track now and then, coz after racing bikes and karts for more than half my life, I miss the speed and adrenaline

There you go - GOYA Motorsport, lead the way 😛