Is it a sign

Port 911

Nice article

https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-944-cars/this-1986-944-turbo-just-sold-for-74000-is-it-a-sign-of-things-to-come/

THIS 1986 944 TURBO JUST SOLD FOR $74,000: IS IT A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME?

2/8/20198:44 ESTFILED TO: PORSCHE 944BY: CHRIS CUSHINGCOMMENT

Has the 944's time finally come? The model's popularity has led to a steady upward creep in prices in recent years, and this recent BAT result may just be the tip of the iceberg. Indeed, even Jerry Seinfeld is getting in on the action, having just acquired a black Turbo and this S2 Cabriolet. This 5k-mile 1986 Turbo just smashed Bring a Trailer's auction record for the model, doubling the previous top result for a 944 Turbo, and besting the previous top 944 sale by more than $30k. At $74k, this Pearl White coupe has reached beyond the model's typically-modest pricing, and well into territory normally occupied by low-mile Supra Turbos, Ferrari 328s, and well-optioned 993s.

1986_porsche_944_turbo_154708667058b9e61

Photo from Bring a Trailer

This result is the latest in a streak of increasingly impressive results for the model. Recent results from other auction houses, including an impressive $72,600 result at Gooding & Co's Monterey sale, have approached the result achieved on BAT. According to the included original window sticker the car originally sold for $33,600, meaning that over three decades the car more than doubled its original sticker price, and roughly kept pace with inflation.

1986_porsche_944_turbo_154679690912a6b48

Photo from Bring a Trailer

Credit is due to the seller's exceptionally thorough approach. While BAT sellers are generally very thorough, with galleries often creeping beyond 150 images, this seller went above and beyond with over 400 images. Everything from paint meter readings, to the stampings inside the included set of color-keyed Fuchs wheels were documented. It is pretty clear that this is an exceptional 944 Turbo.

Interestingly, this car came from the same town as the Utlimate Enthusiast Garage featured here in 2017, though it was not owned by the same person. It's pretty clear, however, that this car lived an extremely pampered life.

While aficionados may argue about the merits of this first-year Turbo compared to the later cars, we challenge anyone to find another comparable Turbo of any year. The real question with this car is whether to keep the phonedials on the car, or mount up those deliciously-'80s Pearl White Fuchs.

Photos from Bring a Trailer LLC used with permission.

To me, it's simply a sign that someone wanted the very best of a particular model for a collection.  Let's face it, cars like that rarely hit the market and to a serious collector $74K is chump change.  I doubt it will ever be driven.

The last para poses an interesting question.  I have both phonedials and Fuchs.  Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I think I prefer the look of phonedials on a 944T! 

I have to agree with the above sentiment... its truly an exception by the sounds of it. Whilst it no doubt helps, its not a reflection as a whole... kinda like the $250k 996.1 GT3 CS currently at Dutton... that is an exception. 

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

whilst the love for the front engined cars has grown i don't think this will be a flow on for all these cars yet.

Or optimistic owners will THINK they can ask a silly price for their above average car, and we see the flow on effect trickle down to piles of junk for $25k 

7 hours ago, bumble said:

To me, it's simply a sign that someone wanted the very best of a particular model for a collection.  Let's face it, cars like that rarely hit the market and to a serious collector $74K is chump change.  I doubt it will ever be driven.

The last para poses an interesting question.  I have both phonedials and Fuchs.  Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I think I prefer the look of phonedials on a 944T! 

I really like the 16' teledials.

15 hours ago, Rob said:

16" (inch), not 16' (feet), Jason 😆

Sorry Rob, I no how annoyeing it can be too a Gramar Nazi when people make gramatikal  -    errors or missteaks with they"re spelling.  It woe'nt happen again;  I promis

And by the way, on a similar failing Jason, when you want to represent the date of a say, 1999 Porsche, it's '99, not 99'.  The ' means you've left out part of the date; i.e. the "19".  You're not alone in this failing...😉

2 hours ago, Jason E said:

Sorry Rob, I no how annoyeing it can be too a Gramar Nazi when people make gramatikal  -    errors or missteaks with they"re spelling.  It woe'nt happen again;  I promis

Bought v 'brought' 

Makes me want to stab people 🤬

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Bought v 'brought' 

Makes me want to stab people 🤬

I know what you are saying Lee, I only bought this subject up with Rob the other day after I had brought some engine oil from the shops.  Oh the laffs we had...

2 hours ago, Rob said:

And by the way, on a similar failing Jason, when you want to represent the date of a say, 1999 Porsche, it's '99, not 99'.  The ' means you've left out part of the date; i.e. the "19".  You're not alone in this failing...😉

Thank you Rob for identifying this failing & I can only assure you that I am working on myself on a constant basis.  I both appreciate & cherish your constant edification...

(oh the laughs we had...)

48 minutes ago, Jason E said:

I know what you are saying Lee, I only bought this subject up with Rob the other day after I had brought some engine oil from the shops.  Oh the laffs we had...

You're first!  Wheres my knife? 🤬

The average young modern real estate agent is a clueless talentless idiot with no redeeming features.  Spelling issues are the least of their problems, though they all have that.

I saw one advertising themselves the other day as a 'success manager' or some crap like that.  Yeah, no, just find a buyer with the cash.

38 minutes ago, CarreraG50 said:

Sort after area (real estate speak) SOUGHT after, its bloody SOUGHT after 😠

Another one of my hates! I plugged this bloke about an ad he had for a Porsche that had both 'sort after' and 'I brought it to do up', and he ripped into me with 'your just a grammer/speling nazi so f..k off' etc. I laughed and said he spelt 'grammar', 'spelling' and 'you're' incorrectly and he should start a sentence with a capital letter 😂😂  Reckon he would have had a stroke at the shit I was giving him...not that I'd do that sort of thing though 😁

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

Thank you Rob for identifying this failing & I can only assure you that I am working on myself on a constant basis.  I both appreciate & cherish your constant edification...

(oh the laughs we had...)

Have you seen "Clockwork Orange"?  I'm thinking of trying this therapy on you...

Archived