Anyone owned one?

Last of an era being the last NA V8 which suits me down to the ground. Not a fan of the auto but they didn’t make a manual so got to suck that up. Price has been static for a number of years too so that is an added bonus.

Pros? Cons?

One con I can think of is the Ferrari tax that applies to every transaction to do with the car. Another would be that it isn’t equiped with the millennial anti theft device.

Pictures of early cars on fire or burnt out need not apply. It happened to a few GT3s lest we forget 😢

Holidayed in Italy last year with 3 mates & we hired 2 488’’s 1 458 & a California in Modena.  Had to pinch myself as we were flogging these machines through the Tuscan hills. 

458 was raw & the pick, despite the 488’s being faster. Awesome 4 hours of my life.

Couldnt live with one though- the servicing costs are ridiculous..... GT3 for me to live with thanks!

Haven’t owned one but do get to drive one occasionally, a 458 speciale. As you say whilst it doesn’t have the manual gate of others the paddle sort of works for me based on the ability to concentrate on the drive.  Most of my drives have been city/metro and some late night blasts around west head. Its comfortable in traffic as it is being driven hard, good all rounder compared to older fezzes.

Important like all high performance cars is the history and when key components have replaced i believe it gets expensive on some services.

If I could, I would.

Friends of mine have a 458 they are thinking of selling done 4-5000ks apparently loads of options and genuine elderly owners , turning 90 this year. Hope I’m as cool as them still at their age 😂

if anyone is genuinely interested shoot me a message and I can put you in touch. Before any bargain hunters apply they have a fair idea of value but not silly about wanting to sell to a genuine realistic buyer. 

11 hours ago, hugh said:

Didn’t you sell it? 

The GT3? No. Still got the 997 too. I may jump out of that though to part finance any shenanigans.

8 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Putting on my medium-term-hold-collector hat, I’d go for something similar yet manual. 

I recently drove a manual Murci - amazing. Huge grunt, magic noise and one of the best shifters I’ve ever used.  

I’ve been sniffing around for a few different manual cars circa 8-10 years old for a while now. Rare as rocking horse. Or held very tightly.

1 hour ago, Mick said:

Friends of mine have a 458 they are thinking of selling done 4-5000ks apparently loads of options and genuine elderly owners , turning 90 this year. Hope I’m as cool as them still at their age 😂

if anyone is genuinely interested shoot me a message and I can put you in touch. Before any bargain hunters apply they have a fair idea of value but not silly about wanting to sell to a genuine realistic buyer. 

Not quite the right time for me, i’m probably 6 months out .... but .... what colour?

3 minutes ago, sleazius said:

I’ve been sniffing around for a few different manual cars circa 8-10 years old for a while now. Rare as rocking horse. Or held very tightly.

Yep I hear you, I’ve been searching for a good example of a 355 manual. Oz delivered good history, low is, that are not asking silly money are hard to come by.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

The GT3? No. Still got the 997 too. I may jump out of that though to part finance any shenanigans.

Not quite the right time for me, i’m probably 6 months out .... but .... what colour?

Red

• 2 years later...

Digging this back up, never did buy one in the end and prices have now gone silly along with everything else. Consider this new listing:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-ferrari-458-spider-auto/OAG-AD-20515097/?Cr=0

Not sure why the photos were taken on a Gen1 Iphone, but sometimes you get what you get.

Wish I had a time machine somtimes :Chuckle2:

17 minutes ago, hugh said:

Nice cars aside from the disposable interior quality, the things just fall apart. People complain about 996 interiors, got nothing on these! 

Yeh my father has a 360 and the interior dash buttons and switch quality , eg painted surfaces or the labels on switches and knobs like temp or fan speed is terrible , it all wears very badly .

39 minutes ago, hugh said:

Nice cars aside from the disposable interior quality, the things just fall apart. People complain about 996 interiors, got nothing on these! 

Yep. A mate had an F12 and at only a couple of years old the interior trim was falling apart.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Yep. A mate had an F12 and at only a couple of years old the interior trim was falling apart.

Is that for real?  I ask have actually been tossing up getting one - F12.  That’s a big issue if fact based.  Thanks. 

Nothing beats a 911 for the performance to reliability ratio, not to mention the servicing costs, and the build quality.  So I just choose to ignore it all as a factor. Never understood the one make collections that you see on rennlist and fchat, makes no sense to me.

I’ve got Porsche, Subaru, Merc and Nissan in the toy garage currently with a Lotus on order. There is about 5 fezzas I’d love to add (458 is right at the top), a Mazda, a Honda, another Merc, another Lotus, 4 Lambos, two Audis, 2 Nissans, a couple of dattos, a Maserati, and at least 3 bimmers off the top of my head. If I sat down and figured out a list of all the cars I’d love to try out it’d be 100s long. If I added Supercars to the list, well it’d take a while.

/me goes back to salivating over v10s and v12s :Beer:

On 10/02/2022 at 19:02, mc968cs said:

Is that for real?  I ask have actually been tossing up getting one - F12.  That’s a big issue if fact based.  Thanks. 

It certainly is. He got it sorted before he sold it but some of the rear parcel shelf trim was coming away. I think he also said the stereo would play up sometimes.

It is a real hooligan car. He has (or had at the time) 2 MacLarens, F12 and a 991 911. The F12 is super loud (his didn't have a switching exhaust) and was just a burn out machine. He just found he drove it like a dick everywhere. He much preferred the Mac's to drive, which were much more comfortable.