79 Aussie Delivered 911 SC Coupe Valuations

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Pretty sure most know that's coming mate

You'd be suprised at how many people don't understand this. It's alarming. I can tell you many people have maxed out mortgages and are living beyond their means, simply because of the fact that moneys cheap. 

I don't think interest rates will rise any time soon, which gives people a false sense of security. A little inflation, along with some tax hikes and then let's see. 

Agreed @wangan

I'm not a smart man, in fact I'm pretty stupid really, but people pulling their super and living well beyond their means is not very smart at all, regardless of this covid crap.

All too often I see people mortgaged to the hilt, new cars and that fancy 'must have' lounge suite, then one loses a job or has a kid and they wonder why they get in the shit financially? 

A bit of common sense isn't that hard really.

Anyway, back on topic 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 16:36, wangan said:

Looking at this thread the general consensus is that $100,000 is the top for the an SC. I've been looking on carsales over the last few months and have noticed various SC's and 3.2's being advertised for over $100,000. Have prices jumped again in the last 12 months since this thread has started, or are these cars overpriced. I'm looking to buy a 3.2 Carrera and was hoping to spend about $120,000 at the absolute most. Is that realistic price in the current market? 

I think you can still pick up something good in your budget, you just need to keep an eye on the market and be ready as there are others waiting as well. There’s been a couple change hands at your price in recent times. There’s bugger all for sale at the moment and it’s been like that for months and the cars that are for sale, have been for a long time. There’s nothing worth picking up the phone for at the moment as they’re either junk or priced way too high to even negotiate on.

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

I think those numbers are light by say 10/20%.  This is based on what I’m seeing sourcing cars for a few people. 

Thanks guys for all the feedback, but I've decided to hold off for now. I'll maybe revisit the idea a later date.

For all the others looking, it pays to message the sellers of cars priced high on carsales. I recieved a call from a seller on a car that's now sold willing to accept $40k less than the advertised price. I can't for the life of me figure out why you just wouldn't price it closer to what you'd want in the first place and save yourself the headaches, but that's just me. 

I've owned a 3.2 before and I really can't see myself spending north of $100k for one as good of a car that they are.

Thanks guys. 

I get that it’s a significant amount of money but I also believe many overthink and over analyse this stuff. Nobody really knows what the future holds, but finding good early cars is tough and the supply vs demand equation will keep these cars from plummeting in value. You’d hate to die waiting. 

I've been following them for a while. I think they went up around 2017-18 and then then dipped in 2019 and rose again due to covid. Having owned one in the past I honestly can't justify these asking prices. They're a great car, but once you go north of 100k there are alot more options. 

I think people aren't going on holidays and as a result are buying toys. On the other side of the fence, I think there will be others who will need to move toys on because of covid. I don't think we will see the full effects until later next year. Again who knows for sure. 

I'd rather take the chance and see what happens. I think there's more downside potential than anything and at best prices will stay the same, but that's just my opinion and could be completely wrong. Prices might go up further and then I might need to look at other options. 

Interesting times ahead. 

Local/global markets and economy aside, you are still referring to a niche market. If (and that’s an IF) the sky falls, I wouldn’t expect an influx of minty 3.2L Carreras to flood the market with desperate sellers.

If we were talking new GT3’s on the other hand that would be a totally different proposition as they are more likely to be on finance and needing to be liquidated if cash flow becomes tight. 

I do hope the planets align for you but I’m just not seeing the current environment having a significant impact on that particular sector of the classic Porsche market. If anything, I think the trend will be upwards or like you mention remain pretty consistent with current pricing. 

I get how an SC can seem underwhelming for $100k- lots of newer cars that will go faster for that sort of money.  A 996 will drive better go faster and do everything else better.

However from the era they are still one of the most useable and modifiable cars, if that’s your thing And they have shown decades of price stability and slow increase.

Buying in isn’t about the bang for buck, it’s about enjoying the car for what it is and can do, while being somewhat confident that you aren’t plummeting down a steep depreciation curve.

I’m heading towards 7 years of SC ownership and it’s done everything I wanted, including having a stable value.  If I had bought anything new at the time for the same money it would now be a depreciated has-been.  At the time I felt they were overpriced, but I’m glad that didn’t stop me because a) I can get the money back b) life is short and it’s been fun.

The bonus with air cooled ownership is a great scene of true enthusiasts, lots of good times and a few new friends.  Not exclusive to air coooled 911s but definitely part of the ownership experience.

11 minutes ago, Coastr said:

I get how an SC can seem underwhelming for $100k- lots of newer cars that will go faster for that sort of money.  A 996 will drive better go faster and do everything else better.

However from the era they are still one of the most useable and modifiable cars, if that’s your thing And they have shown decades of price stability and slow increase.

Buying in isn’t about the bang for buck, it’s about enjoying the car for what it is and can do, while being somewhat confident that you aren’t plummeting down a steep depreciation curve.

I’m heading towards 7 years of SC ownership and it’s done everything I wanted, including having a stable value.  If I had bought anything new at the time for the same money it would now be a depreciated has-been.  At the time I felt they were overpriced, but I’m glad that didn’t stop me because a) I can get the money back b) life is short and it’s been fun.

The bonus with air cooled ownership is a great scene of true enthusiasts, lots of good times and a few new friends.  Not exclusive to air coooled 911s but definitely part of the ownership experience.

Agree wholeheartedly ...

I had my SC for 6 years before I sold it .. don't regret 1 minute of it! For me it wasn’t about what newer car can I buy with what I could sell it for ..

I was lucky enough to get into it when prices were stupidly low and watched it increase 3 fold. Sold it for various reasons and “upgraded” to a 996 C4S for other various reasons ... but one of them was never because I felt the need to get a newer car ...

That car went faster than the speed limit allowed, could out drive me any day of the week, and I felt like I was the king of the road every time I drove it ... forever memories.

On 25/12/2020 at 19:05, hugh said:

Local/global markets and economy aside, you are still referring to a niche market. If (and that’s an IF) the sky falls, I wouldn’t expect an influx of minty 3.2L Carreras to flood the market with desperate sellers.

I'll look at selling the house or even renting a room before selling my 3.2L Carrera. Lucked on a good one and would be hard to find another like it!