79 Aussie Delivered 911 SC Coupe Valuations

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster currently going through my due diligence and looking to purchase a 1979 911 SC coupe in NSW.

Being new to Porsche ownership I am hoping to get some guidance around where current values sit for this model, with the example I am looking at being an Australian delivered, numbers matching coupe in dark blue with a tan interior.

The car to me is in pretty remarkable condition for its age, and the seller is asking for ~$100k

Would appreciate some guidance from those a lot more experienced with Porsches than I, as to whether the sellers asking price in this case is within the ballpark, or significantly higher or lower than normal.

Broad question I know, but any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

N.

There used to be a saying. “They are all 50k car cars. You can either pay upfront for a good one or make a lesser first payment and pay more later.” The same still rings true just the price has gone up. Actual price is subjective to you.

Would I pay 100K for an SC? Hell no. Would others? Yep.

I paid less than 25k for mine.... I have spent about 20k on it so far in rebuilding the engine, transmission, redoing the electrics, fuel tank, replacing soft top roof, tyres, rubber hoses, seals, fuel lines, you name it and that's doing all the work myself - except for machine work and some transmission work. So - for $50k I should have a nicely, mostly rebuilt car.

Had I paid $50k up front for a car that was 'nicer' - I probably would have had to have done all that at some point in the future anyway, so then you're looking at 50k + all of the rebuild costs and labour if you can't do it yourself.

I dont know what condition the car is that you are looking at - but there are a few around at the moment for $50k, they might be cabs, or targas or LHD, but if you spent the additional 50k on it you should surely have one of the cleanest, fastest porsches known to man! :D

It all comes back to what your looking for. I was looking to spend circa $50 on a targa but tripped over a coupe back in April that I couldn't pass up, but spent more than $50 but no where near $100. In the current market I would be considering a 3.2 targa or maybe jag an import coupe at that price. Potentialy spend a lot less less on a good uk or hk import if you want an SC.

Personally, I think that figure is about right on the money. On the proviso that everything is like new and there is nothing to spend.

Engine, suspension, body interior. As mentioned in the prior posts, these things add up! The 'base' price for one of these nowadays is circa $50K and they do not look like much, even in the photos! Read much to spend to bring them up to par.

I've had mine close on 5 years now and it has been a methodical approach to take the car to where I want it. I will essentially be at that premium figure once completed and I started at less than the current 'base' value. Personally, I like the journey, but if you are not handy, then perhaps negotiate hard.

I'll probably get shot down for this statement, however....Don't forget, the P car population is quite particular with delivery details, therefore something else to consider with your decision. 

Good luck either way! 

PS. That figure gets you damn close to 996 Turbo/GT3

1 hour ago, P-Kay said:

Personally, I think that figure is about right on the money. On the proviso that everything is like new and there is nothing to spend.

Engine, suspension, body interior. As mentioned in the prior posts, these things add up! The 'base' price for one of these nowadays is circa $50K and they do not look like much, even in the photos! Read much to spend to bring them up to par.

I've had mine close on 5 years now and it has been a methodical approach to take the car to where I want it. I will essentially be at that premium figure once completed and I started at less than the current 'base' value. Personally, I like the journey, but if you are not handy, then perhaps negotiate hard.

I'll probably get shot down for this statement, however....Don't forget, the P car population is quite particular with delivery details, therefore something else to consider with your decision. 

Good luck either way! 

PS. That figure gets you damn close to 996 Turbo/GT3

The last line of your post, this is exactly my conundrum right now! I would LOVE a classic 911, but its a trade off at that price point between the older classic appeal and the upkeep that comes with it, versus the more usable and comfortable traits of a 01 996 turbo 😕

Make no mistake, the 996 is now 20 years old and you will definitely be up for suspension components, engine/gearbox mounts. Although the car will still feel great, there is no real urgency to it. That said, your better half will enjoy sitting in the passenger seat along with the benefits of power steering and working air-conditioning!

For a first P car, this would be my recommendation and if the nostalgia persists....oh and it sure will, then you can re-evaluate your choices then.

Remember....the correct number of P cars is one more than you currently own ;) 

I would have thought 70-80k would be a fair price for a decent Australian delivered SC in the current market. I sold mine for low 80’s prior to the market softening a bit. SC’s are an awesome underrated car in my opinion....they are reliable, not expensive to maintain (if you buy a good one) & have more than enough power for spirited weekend drives without losing your license. You could certainly buy a turbo for 100k or a GT3 for 120k but they are both much more expensive to insure / maintain & you need a track to exploit their limits in safety. Also note that those prices are bottom of the market for those models compared to top of the market for the SC so comes with some risk. All are great cars & depends on your annual budget & what you intend to do with the car....if it’s a blast on the weekend around the hills the SC will be a great choice !! Good luck with the purchase....

Cheers,

Matt

100k would be the top end of the current market for an SC so it would need to be a highly original & tidy car. As @MR901 says above, I'd be expecting to find a neat SC for closer to the 70-80k mark, but good cars are still hard to find. 

If you are new to the Porsche world I'd be suggesting you try and find some locals on here that can help out and/or recommend someone to take a look at it for you. 

A neat SC is a great classic 911. 996's etc. are great cars also but offer quite a different ownership proposition. 

20 hours ago, 9eleven said:

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster currently going through my due diligence and looking to purchase a 1979 911 SC coupe in NSW.

Being new to Porsche ownership I am hoping to get some guidance around where current values sit for this model, with the example I am looking at being an Australian delivered, numbers matching coupe in dark blue with a tan interior.

The car to me is in pretty remarkable condition for its age, and the seller is asking for ~$100k

Would appreciate some guidance from those a lot more experienced with Porsches than I, as to whether the sellers asking price in this case is within the ballpark, or significantly higher or lower than normal.

Broad question I know, but any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

N.

$100k for a SC? Unless the car was immaculate with all maintenance works done and low kms, near perfect body and interior, I would be very hard pressed to say its a fair price.

The seller would also find it very difficult to sell that car at that price point. You could almost buy a decent enough 964 which has the "classic" look but much better engine and suspension. I think you just need to shop better.

This is my personal opinion.

I think a lot of the comments focus more on what you "could" buy rather than the yearning for a classic "old" Porsche ...

You could buy a brand new Mercedes C Class or a brand new Holden Commodore, but that is not what the heart wants ...

I too would absolutely love a 996TT and hopefully I'll have one, one day ... but I certainly won't be selling my SC to get one ... I love the way I feel behind the wheel, the classic shape, the way people look at the car ... it's what the heart wants, not just what a bit more money can buy ...

26 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I think a lot of the comments focus more on what you "could" buy rather than the yearning for a classic "old" Porsche ...

You could buy a brand new Mercedes C Class or a brand new Holden Commodore, but that is not what the heart wants ...

I too would absolutely love a 996TT and hopefully I'll have one, one day ... but I certainly won't be selling my SC to get one ... I love the way I feel behind the wheel, the classic shape, the way people look at the car ... it's what the heart wants, not just what a bit more money can buy ...

totally agree Dreamr, theres a alot of cars i would want for the value of my SC, would i swap it for them, nup, no way.... as well as the sc ide have a fleet of other stuff, but this car gives me car boner everytime i drive it, even after a decade of ownership.....

Agree with this ^^^^^^

Î actually paid well over $100K for my 1984, 911 Carrera.

But it was original, immaculate, and ticked every box for me. Yes, I could have kept looking for a cheaper one, but with a greater risk of potential higher running costs in the future. I've been down this track before with a cheap Ghia. Not being handy, it was always at the mechanic needing ongoing repairs. Understand there may be better value for money with a more modern car, but as mentioned, repairs would be higher if/when needed. As a weekend cruiser, and "garage queen" I wanted an old classic 911 with the 3.2L motor. I just wanted something where all I needed to do was wax and polish it, and keep it under cover. Rego and Insurance on Historics cost $900 p.a, and I have it insured for $140K.

Depends what the car in question is like condition wise to someone who knows these cars like the back of their hand.

To people like yourself who are new to Porsches can be blinded by 'It's a Porsche', when others will find minor or even major problems just by looking at it. I don't profess to knowing a lot about them, yet I have looked at $100k cars for others that are great, and others that need $20-30k spent on them because they've been tarted up just to sell by opportunists. I've also seen imports and converted cars at $60-80k that are junk and also jewels, so my opinion is to have someone experienced with old 911's to have a look for or with you. 

996's are superb cars to drive. Quick, handle well and comfortable, plus they're on a great price point if you want to dip your toes into Porsche ownership without committing $100k, yet they also have their problems that arise if they havent been fastidiously maintained.

Best advice I reckon is to not jump at the first car you see and like 

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

Depends what the car in question is like condition wise to someone who knows these cars like the back of their hand.

To people like yourself who are new to Porsches can be blinded by 'It's a Porsche', when others will find minor or even major problems just by looking at it. I don't profess to knowing a lot about them, yet I have looked at $100k cars for others that are great, and others that need $20-30k spent on them because they've been tarted up just to sell by opportunists. I've also seen imports and converted cars at $60-80k that are junk and also jewels, so my opinion is to have someone experienced with old 911's to have a look for or with you. 

996's are superb cars to drive. Quick, handle well and comfortable, plus they're on a great price point if you want to dip your toes into Porsche ownership without committing $100k, yet they also have their problems that arise if they havent been fastidiously maintained.

Best advice I reckon is to not jump at the first car you see and like 

I may be new to porsche, but I am certainly not jumping on the first car I see, rather I am in the midst of doing extensive due diligence. For background, I have been playing with heavily modified skyline GTR's for almost 20 years, and have been pining after a move to the character, heritage and unmistakable lines of the 911 for some time now. I am acutely aware that we are talking cars with many years under their belts that can become a nightmare if not properly maintained etc.

Hence why I am posting on this forum, as I value the input of all of you who know a lot better than me at this point!

The car in question has been thoroughly inspected by a trusted porsche workshop, and confirmed as numbers matching with a full set of books and complete service history right back to the original dealer stamp on the day it was delivered in 1979. Having looked at half a dozen SC's, the body work is exceptional, and the interior is a standout in over all condition.

The consensus I am getting here is that at the sub $100k price point for an SC you are likely paying absolute top dollar and would expect an truely exceptional example, unless the money isn't as much of a concern and you are instead following your heart and buying the car for the way it makes you feel.

45 minutes ago, 9eleven said:

I am getting here is that at the sub $100k price point for an SC you are likely paying absolute top dollar and would expect an truely exceptional example, unless the money isn't as much of a concern and you are instead following your heart and buying the car for the way it makes you feel.

Nailed it. 

@9eleven just doing some browsing and came across this 3.2 at a similar price point to the 79 you are considering.  If you are looking at AU originality in an impact bumper car maybe consider this well priced 3.2. I think it’s pre G50 gearbox but still well priced for the more powerful Motor. Not sure if cookout scheme works for you, (I like  it very 80’s) . Might be with looking into, I’m sure one of the Vic locals would check it pre ppi. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1985-Porsche-911-Carrera-Manual/SSE-AD-5845637

• 1 year later...

Looking at this thread the general consensus is that $100,000 is the top for the an SC. I've been looking on carsales over the last few months and have noticed various SC's and 3.2's being advertised for over $100,000. Have prices jumped again in the last 12 months since this thread has started, or are these cars overpriced. I'm looking to buy a 3.2 Carrera and was hoping to spend about $120,000 at the absolute most. Is that realistic price in the current market? 

Yes, prices have jumped. Significantly. I don't understand it fully, but the impact of Covid and travel restrictions may have resulted in discretionary funds being spent elsewhere. Alternatively it could be given the low interest rates on savings, people may be looking at classic cars as a better return for growth, with the benefit of enjoyment of ownership. Most likely a combination of all these things.

Fair enough. Makes sense.

In that case, I'll put things on hold and check in again in 12 months or so. I miss my car old car, but definitely not enough to enter the market at these prices haha. 

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, wangan said:

Fair enough. Makes sense.

In that case, I'll put things on hold and check in again in 12 months or so. I miss my car old car, but definitely not enough to enter the market at these prices haha. 

Thanks for your help!

Can I ask why you think prices will pull back in a years time?

Not trying to be clever, genuinely interested. 

26 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

Can I ask why you think prices will pull back in a years time?

Not trying to be clever, genuinely interested. 

I didn't say prices would pull back. All I said was I'll check in again in 12 months. 

I think the economy is in for a bit of trouble over the next few years (I'm a financial analyst for context). That's my opinion though and how that effects the price of 911s is anyone's guess. 

I'll roll the dice and hold off for now and if in 12 months prices are even higher, I might have to look at something else. Time will tell. 

Thanks again. 

27 minutes ago, wangan said:

I didn't say prices would pull back. All I said was I'll check in again in 12 months. 

I think the economy is in for a bit of trouble over the next few years (I'm a financial analyst for context). That's my opinion though and how that effects the price of 911s is anyone's guess. 

I'll roll the dice and hold off for now and if in 12 months prices are even higher, I might have to look at something else. Time will tell. 

Thanks again. 

Cool, I misconstrued your check in again comment.  Good luck.

11 hours ago, wangan said:

Thanks again. 

Regarding your comments on the economy over the next few years,....I'm hearing the same thing from the experts at my end also.