Newb with recently acquired 1970 911t

Hi everyone! I have much to learn and hopefully share :). After a 2 year search, I found this gorgeous little car in San Diego CA. Body is really solid with matching numbers 2.2 engine. It's running Webber's and a 915 5 speed and S brakes.

cheers,

Pete 

B2BEA102-A456-4419-BD0B-72E40B82AF83.jpeg

Hi Coastr, cleared quarantine in early Jan. I have a few things I need to take care of like refitting the rear reflectors, changing the front signal lens and probably need to add a RHS mirror. Wondering if anyone here has found a local source for approved seat belts? I've already fitted RHD headlights and done a 6000k service. Plan is to black out the fuch ports and refit the bright work to the body. Interior needs tidying up but and I have most of what's needed to make her a really sweet ride. I would also appreciate hearing from anyone with experience in a getting a similar age 911 roadworthy engineering compliant.

thanks for the warm welcome!

Pete

I imported my 83 and didn’t change a thing.  I think it depends on who does it and which state.   I don’t have the name of who did it because the paperwork and I are not in the same place.

Prob best to say where you’re looking for approval, someone will have done it.

94568120-08B4-4A87-9DDE-1950E51A49F5.thumb.jpeg.f414eb397041d72b19c39bdc77b6e758.jpeg

Thanks Coastr.

I am getting lots of mixed input as to whether or not I need an engineering inspection / local compliance plate. Will only be club registered so I'm hoping that some Melbourne based folks can help me with recommendations please: 

• Where did you go to get roadworthy certificate? (personal experience with this type of car only please)

• Did you need and engineering report for an imported vehicle for club rego? (as above)

• Did you need to replace seatbelts with locally made seatbelts? Can you reuse the original hardware but have new webbing and assembly through someone who can provide ADR compliance.

I understand the answers to these questions can be so much about who you go to rather than hard rules. Appreciate your help!

road test under permit on weekend pic for gratuitousness :)

thanks

Pete

Nice looking car Pete, As far as club rego goes. Here in vic they changed the rules awhile back, Once apon a time the club you were with  could inspect the car and give you  the plates, But now it has to be an official RWC followed by your club inspection to get your plates  . Sorry mate cannot help with the import stuff, But theres a few of the fellas on PFA Importing cars all the time Turbo Tom should have a few tips .

Get a roadworthy. $100 or so. That will tell you what you need. New belts? Only if what you have is damaged I think.

Or... Call Spencer Harrison at RRR. 9758 1411  He can check the car over and tell you what is needed and organise a RWC. Join a club. CPS permit away you go for lots of good drives. Especially in your area.

2 hours ago, tomo said:

Nice looking car Pete, As far as club rego goes. Here in vic they changed the rules awhile back, Once apon a time the club you were with  could inspect the car and give you  the plates, But now it has to be an official RWC followed by your club inspection to get your plates  . Sorry mate cannot help with the import stuff, But theres a few of the fellas on PFA Importing cars all the time Turbo Tom should have a few tips .

Thanks Tomo,

Good info mate  appreciate your reply!

1 hour ago, Airhead said:

Get a roadworthy. $100 or so. That will tell you what you need. New belts? Only if what you have is damaged I think.

Or... Call Spencer Harrison at RRR. 9758 1411  He can check the car over and tell you what is needed and organise a RWC. Join a club. CPS permit away you go for lots of good drives. Especially in your area.

Thanks Airhead,

Thanks for the contact info. Exactly what I am after. I'll call Spencer in the morning.

• 2 months later...

There is a very short bolt filling the hole From inside the rear wheel house. You will need to remove a lump of bitumen paint covering it. I believe the bolt is 7/16 which comes with all new belts. New retractor attaches from inside the car.

APV are one of a handful of ADR approved seatbelt manufacturers here in Australia who I intend to purchase from. On their site there is a "General Purpose Seatbelt Matrix" which describes the angle and buckle stalk combinations. They come in 3 different lengths.
I'm considering K1794 / K1795 in the short length. it's an 80-90 degree retractor which is the closest I can find with my calculations. I have had advice that retractors will operate correctly within a 3 degree tolerance of the installed angle.

Please do you own checks before ordering, I don't think you can return belts once delivered.

let me know what you decide :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both sides installed now; probably took around 3 hrs all up. Some fiddling around to make the right combination of washers and spacers and I used two shorter 7/16  Repa bolts on the buckles instead of the long bolts that came with the new belts. I'm planning to retrim the rear quarter trims so those wrinkles under the retractor will be sorted out then with some added stiffness around the bolt hold and probably make use of the plastic trim ring from the kit. Later cars have a bulged quarter trim that covers the retractor. I guess you could fit those if preferred which was my original thought but I don't find the exposed retractor so offensive. See how I feel about this in a few months.

These belts are manufactured by APV in Australia to comply Australian standards. I purchased through Autopro. They were actually more expensive than that other cheaper store but their far superior service got my attention. From placing the order I waited around two weeks and shelled out a little under $310. Make sure to specify short. Pic of the box label below.  All the APV belt sets are available in 3 lengths. If the belt is too long, it won't all fit into the retractor. 31C5EF16-79E5-4E30-8CE2-26831F0920D1.thumb.jpeg.37cbdb6e70ad3511d4d43604c386fd2c.jpegAF50AEDA-4700-4A1F-B505-CDE97EF354D4.thumb.jpeg.3b6ad7356c46049084b0ee814813369a.jpeg

So there you have it! I hope this info is useful and happy to answer any questions you might have.

0A94B74F-5954-43D5-AB50-AE5A529DD94D.jpeg

41CB464A-86DC-4870-966E-91EFE6A0DF4B.jpeg

4DF6443A-478A-4876-AA21-37767CEC48FB.jpeg

A7147159-6BF1-4E18-87B8-9692CE24F184.jpeg

D6A72A62-2D40-49A5-8ED2-1BD3035DEC59.jpeg

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The wheel arch part of the quart trim has a hole in it where the fixing is in the body which can be felt by hand so you can probably get a hole in there without pulling the trim. 

You are right to be concerned about that part being cracked. They are stapled to the flat quarter trim that is retained at the rear edge of B Pillar and the belt line roll over trim. I retrimmed all those pieces with the correct vinyl except the flat part of the quarter trim I've done in correct basket weave to match the doors. My plastics over the wheel arches had a few cracks which I repaired with a skin of fiberglass matting over the entire stripped back substrate then finished off smooth. It was a bit of work but really worth it.

5B0F192C-5534-48DE-8BE2-97CBED5A5D70.jpeg

1D2DD96C-A00C-4B4A-881D-530759757FD2.jpeg

6CA41B36-F7C0-48CA-8F2E-DD99CD4CEA78.jpeg

2EB169B8-DD98-49DE-9449-02803655EFCF.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So... you know you start trying to solve one problem and then.... we'll you end up somewhere else entirely.

I wanted a taller tire and I've been keen on the Pirelli CN36. From my research, this tire was homologated with Porsche to optimize chassis performance of these early cars (I know it's a tub but that seems to be the appropriate lingo!). Anyway. I have 6's and 7's on the rear with 205/50's. I love the look of staggered wheels but not the 50 series tires. Too restomod for me. Unfortunately though the 185/70R15 CN36 on that 7" wheel won't fit under the body 😕...... No worries I wanted to find a set of deep 6's so now is the time! 

210FC097-819B-4348-846D-A05DC4024F13.jpeg

I found this matching date correct set fit my car. This is after stripping all the paint and cleaning up with a plastic wire wheel on the drill. Then a lot of sanding, painting, masking, more sanding, more painting, masking etc. they are done and I'm really happy with the outcome.

ED739AF6-7831-4CF9-A143-53FF23E5E2DC.jpeg

7609B929-F5A2-488E-9A3E-57655DA57A9E.jpeg

I 2k'd everything. Satin clear iver the silver petals, gloss clear in the lip with the mask line as deep into the rim as possible.

So I need a bit of help now please 😳

What valve stems fit these deep 6's? The regular ones don't. I've read on PP forum that Napa make some that do but I really would appreciate hearing from someone who can point me at something available in Melbourne please.

Thanks so much!!

let me know if anyone would like to see a step by step on my Fuchs resto.... I'd be more thank happy to share.