To wave or not to wave

maxy

I know we are off the post here, sorry again....but I would have one of these in a heartbeat.  There is a LHD one in SHANNONS at the moment campervan type thing and not a patch on this one.   I think the suggested price for that one is 60 to 70K 

Woops the one at Shannons is a LHD 66 model with the split windscreen.    No wonder the  high estimate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Scenario.

it's a busy small street, cars parked both sides, I pull my 997 over to let a guy in a black 991 by, 

I wave, as it's a polite thing to do, and most car drivers would wave when you pull over to let them by, 

And hey I am in a 911, just like him.

I wave... He just ignores me.

Sigh.

I got "F&^%$# PORSCHE DRIVER" screamed at me few times on the streets of Brisbane.

Maybe because few P drivers are like that I wonder. Or maybe driving a Porsche project a "cold and calculated" evil image in people's mind.  Can someone "Please explain"

Scenario.

it's a busy small street, cars parked both sides, I pull my 997 over to let a guy in a black 991 by, 

I wave, as it's a polite thing to do, and most car drivers would wave when you pull over to let them by, 

Sigh.

e

Haha,

Us "it's not a real Porsche" drivers would have given you a thanks mate, wave....

Most enthusiasts have a restricted budget, hence the majority of new p car buyers being 'status types'. Not all mind you as we have a few 991 drivers here but I'd say they're in the minority of owners.

Im just glad there are still people out there willing to tackle the ungodly depreciation for the sake of status and ego so the rest of us can enjoy the cars down the track :)

Most enthusiasts have a restricted budget, hence the majority of new p car buyers being 'status types'. Not all mind you as we have a few 991 drivers here but I'd say they're in the minority of owners.

Im just glad there are still people out there willing to tackle the ungodly depreciation for the sake of status and ego so the rest of us can enjoy the cars down the track :)

Geez Sleazius that's a bit rough!!!!! I have a 991 & I'm not a status type, just worked hard enough as a dumb electrician to save enough for a new car. I don't enjoy the depreciation any more than anyone else & I certainly didn't buy the depreciation just so I could have ego status. I like porsches & can afford a new one, that's how I choose to spend my hard earned.

Oh, by the way I always wave!

maybe he was an tight-ar$ed overpaid lawyer type, afraid in this nanny state era that he might get caught unnecessarily removing his hand from the steering wheel and have to spend time in court defending himself pro bono against a reckless driving charge.  

or maybe he's just a rude ….

Geez Sleazius that's a bit rough!!!!! I have a 991 & I'm not a status type, just worked hard enough as a dumb electrician to save enough for a new car. I don't enjoy the depreciation any more than anyone else & I certainly didn't buy the depreciation just so I could have ego status. I like porsches & can afford a new one, that's how I choose to spend my hard earned.

Oh, by the way I always wave!

Honestly no offence meant - like I qualified in the post, I assume anyone here is an enthusiast by definition. You do have to admit though that the majority of owners are probably in it for the status. The want something sporty, reliable, and expensive. P-car is a perfect fit. Those same drivers aren't likely to wave at the 'plebs' in older versions of their car, because from their point of view driving a 99x or earlier that isn't a 991 is just someone who can't afford the car they are driving.

Its not all 991 drivers, just most of them. The same people were driving 997s before that, and 996s before that etc etc. The huge numbers of 996's, 997's and 991's sold in this country practically guarantees that the majority of owners when new are not going to be enthusiast types, there just isn't the money.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone here over this given if I was at a different stage of my life (and not undertaking a renovation) there is a decent chance I'd be driving around in a 991 too - although I do feel myself wanting a 997 GT3 before I get to that  :D

I'm just grateful that people still buy these cars in large numbers whatever their motivation because without them the rest of us wouldn't get to enjoy them down the track.

Honestly no offence meant - like I qualified in the post, I assume anyone here is an enthusiast by definition. You do have to admit though that the majority of owners are probably in it for the status. The want something sporty, reliable, and expensive. P-car is a perfect fit. Those same drivers aren't likely to wave at the 'plebs' in older versions of their car, because from their point of view driving a 99x or earlier that isn't a 991 is just someone who can't afford the car they are driving.

Its not all 991 drivers, just most of them. The same people were driving 997s before that, and 996s before that etc etc. The huge numbers of 996's, 997's and 991's sold in this country practically guarantees that the majority of owners when new are not going to be enthusiast types, there just isn't the money.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone here over this given if I was at a different stage of my life (and not undertaking a renovation) there is a decent chance I'd be driving around in a 991 too - although I do feel myself wanting a 997 GT3 before I get to that  :D

I'm just grateful that people still buy these cars in large numbers whatever their motivation because without them the rest of us wouldn't get to enjoy them down the track.

No offence taken at all, I do agree most (not all) 991 drivers don't wave back, just look at you like"WTF?".

As a schmuck Porsche owner (boxster driver) i'm flat out trying to get a wave out of other P drivers i have to say...

Though as always the wave/ratio increases significantly when you leave the burbs...

Driving up Mount Macedon to the Picnic at Hanging Rock car show one year I was getting waves from pedestrians in the street. My brother who was with me & who owns a Nissan GTR was complaining he had never been waved to in his car it was very funny. I always acknowledge any real car guy be it a P driver or not.

• 2 weeks later...

My first car was a 1964 EH in the early 90's. I waved and received waves from fellow EH and early Holden owners. Even had an older gentleman guide me into a special, reserved car park with the words 'We have to look after these old girls'...Needless to say that parking lot became a favourite of mine.

Having then moved into more 'sedate' vehicles, the wave became non-existent, however, now that I have my Porsche, I will be sure to wave to all I see. Also willing to take the time to talk to anyone interested..

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Scored a wave off a young Lass in a bronze Targa That makes 4 waves from porsche drivers in ten years, and they all seem to drive early cars, Do not worry about it. If you wanna wave, go for your life B)  

I got a recent unexpected wave from an elder gentleman in a Panamera, was very surprised but graciously returned the gesture.

I'll be honest and say that I never initiate the wave to anyone not in an air-cooled 911 or early front engined 944, 968, 928, 924.

Not because I don't appreciate their cars (because I appreciate all P-Cars), but because I don't expect a return wave as per previously mentioned sentiments about non enthusiasts.   

I get a little too excited when I see another 964 perhaps, a beep, wave and a thumbs up. 

Took a drive by Porsche Centre Brighton Sun evening for a gander.

Late model cab parked out the front with wife and hubby perusing stock on hand.

As I slowly pulled away, eyes crossed and I gave them a friendly wave, no reply, just staring at me like I was from another planet. 

I suppose I don't drive a real (new) Porsche :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived