To wave or not to wave

maxy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice car MAT , how is your IMS bearing?

Yeh I had that replaced quite a while back now, along with my clutch and a major service, but the original bearing was still running strong, as it was the first of the water cooled so dont quote me but i think it was the stronger bearing, but yes just for peace of mind I had it replaced. I cant remember what it was called but the team at Autocoupe took care of it. Love those guys! 

Being a young driver i'm in the odd catch 22 situation, people look at me with disgust because unlike other 22 year olds I put my money towards a passion rather than booze and the club scene so in todays day and age they will assume I am simply driving daddys car, or better yet I am a drug dealer! On a constant basis I am confronted at the lights by P platers who want to run! or the occasional smile from a girl! Its fair to say I made the right move living my mid life crisis at 22 instead of 50 :) However Im always up for a wave or the "it looks nice sign" if i think anyones car is nice! Its an enthusiast thing I suppose

Similar shoes mate. been copping it since 18!! The amount of money i spent on my car, I could own a 996c4  <_<

Just drive the car, who cares what anyone else thinks. Most are jealous. Should join us on an SMT. 

I'm still yet to see a PFA'er on the roads.  :(

Similar shoes mate. been copping it since 18!! The amount of money i spent on my car, I could own a 996c4  <_<

Just drive the car, who cares what anyone else thinks. Most are jealous. Should join us on an SMT. 

I'm still yet to see a PFA'er on the roads.  :(

Look I had my probationary license extended due to a silly fine I should have contested a few years back which extended my probationary period so I have kept under the radar as much as I could leaving the car mostly in the garage but as of Friday I will become a real man in the land of cars and finally will be able to burn those silly P plates! So I am definitely up for a cruise! ASAP.

Look I had my probationary license extended due to a silly fine I should have contested a few years back which extended my probationary period so I have kept under the radar as much as I could leaving the car mostly in the garage but as of Friday I will become a real man in the land of cars and finally will be able to burn those silly P plates! So I am definitely up for a cruise! ASAP.

That sucks man. You can finally enjoy it! Not sure how you find waking up 5am on a sunday ;) but it's worth it.. defiantly isn't no "cruise" ;)

Even join us on the occasional breakfast and meet the vic crew.

Everything is posted on the "Sunday Morning Targa, Rendevous', Events etc" section. 

The newer ones i don't bother with. They probably think i'm driving an rx7..

Funny story on that actually,

I was at a friends house picking up a steering wheel i was going to re trim for him and i had my 944 out the front of his house on the nature strip and just i was about to leave his wife came home and said to me 'Nice RX7, is that yours? .... needless to say i informed her it was a much superior car, in saying that even mazda came out back in the 80's and said thier new rx7 at the time was inspired by the 944.

Back on topic though,

I always wave at other Porsches.....even when they are just on the side of the road with nobody in them....sometimes i think they even wave back....

:lol:

I wave

Around town i might get 1 in 5 responses (mostly other coxster's or air cooled classics)

But if i'm out in the hills for a blatt i reckon its more like 4 out of 5

and the 5th probably didn't get a chance as his hands were full....

• 3 months later...

Peter, I think I've seen your car around, I'm in Beaconsfield. Look out for me...a black Cayman S (BLK 987) give me a wave and I'll wave back, I'd stop for a chat too given the chance!

Yesterday I took my son & fiancee on a suburban cruise , down via the beach etc. Gestured to the driver of a silver 911 targa I'd never seen but it was the "guppy fish at feeding time" response. Not long after we passed a new Boxster , top down. Told son there was no point in waving as 99% sure he would have no idea what a 928 looked like. Then I mentioned "you never see another 928 do you?". Literally 10 seconds later , Stu (ex owner of my car) drives past , lights flashing. Who scripted that? (Tassy's not that small )

Anyway if you have a newer Porsche if you see one of these , wave or flash and you will get a response  :) That might include a downshift and friendly "fart".

ef990699-16f7-40d9-b11e-a40d2f372f87.jpg

Whenever I see a special car out my way I usually beep or wave - anything that isn't a SUV, falcodore or Toyota out this way is cause for celebration. Often I'll be in one of my barges when it happens so usually the driver just looks perplexed. I often think they either think I'm nuts, or their car is on fire and I'm trying to warn them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have to say Lotus owners seem to be wavers....I live in a semi rural area on some windy roads and this morning coming toward me were about 12 lotus's ( what is the plural of lotus??).......surprise but half of them waved at me !! After some thought I think they were either:

Waving for assistance as they were driving British vehicles.......

Simply waving in deference to a greater brand of engineering excellence !!

Either way, I waved back and sped ( sorry,drove) off into the distance.

Lotus drivers can be very parochial, so I'm surprised you got that many waves. The lightweight snobs are just as bad as the worst of the aircooled snobs. They're not interested in anything other than what they deem automotive perfection. Including the new Exige which is a pretty amazing car (too fat, too high centre of gravity according to them).

Its not all Lotus drivers mind you, just like it isn't everyone who drives aircooled.

I had a few fun encounters when I had my boxster... like the guy I chased down on the way to the airport - when I got alongside him he gave me a honk of the horn and a wave!  I gave one back.... oh memmmmmoooorrieeeeesssss

I get a wave from a matching R53 MINI like mine around home regularly. Like the modern P cars - most MINI drivers just drive them cos they are 'cute'  but mine isn't cute its mean!

Well I have to say Lotus owners seem to be wavers....I live in a semi rural area on some windy roads and this morning coming toward me were about 12 lotus's ( what is the plural of lotus??).......surprise but half of them waved at me !! After some thought I think they were either:

Waving for assistance as they were driving British vehicles.......

Simply waving in deference to a greater brand of engineering excellence !!

Either way, I waved back and sped ( sorry,drove) off into the distance.

Maybe it was the sign version of "2 world wars, 1 World Cup"

Archived