The under $8000 run around DD.. what would you get

So I've decided to set a budget of under $8k for a DD..

There's ALOT to choose from!

So what would you go for?

So far I've found a cute '03 206 GTI.. (I didn't say any of these were sensible choices!)

Or a sensible '07 Ford Focus ( I didn't say any of these cars were good looking....)

Ok I'm over this linking business..

Toyota Echo or old Corolla

Subaru Impreza or Forester (these have high km usually tho)

Suzuki Swifts are a bit out of this price bracket...

Barina - Dad said no Holdens are allowed in his driveway.. no really he did!

I know the Pug was always considered a little pocket rocket and fun, must say I find that appealing. But at the same time I don't want anything that might be 'trouble'. 

If you were in my shoes  ie knowing you were adding a classic 911 to  your garage, what would you pick up in this category?

I don't lug kids around. Have 2 small dogs that fit on a floor well or back seat. Wouldn't mind being able to cart 2 bikes around on it but thats not necessary. 

Sensible car for a daily will make the weekend drive so much sweeter.

IMHO dump the Peugeot idea unless it's an older GTi-6 of course.

I'd go reliable and low maintenance. Corolla sounds good.

Subarus get exy to maintain.

Barina.....bang for your buck but Toyota is always a better build.

My 2 cents.

Amanda'

You may not want to hear this but - you can pick up a nice 944 for that money and they are reliable, just have to be patient in your search !!!

And you can do all of the above.

If you're active my 2 cents is the Forester.

I like the Forester because you have the flexibility to go pretty much anywhere you would want to in the country, the snow, etc. It's amazing how many more places you will take your bikes or go away for the weekend when you have that bit more clearance and dual range 4wd, it just helps with your confidence even just on dirt roads. I have one and it is brilliant.

Subarus are a bit like Porsches, very well made and they rarely go wrong, but you will pay a little bit more when they do.

Hard to beat.

If you're purely a city girl then I agree something like a Yaras would be pretty hard to beat value for money.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

+1 on all the above about Corollas.  Usually good for 10years with out too much hassle. Make sure they have all the recalls and services up to date.

Automotive law#47. Never buy a Holden with a name that ends in A.

Doesnt leave much to choose from. :)   (btw working for Holden helped me buy my 911)

I'd go the Yaris or the best Corolla you can get for the money.......alternatively dump the car aspect and spend the 8k on a Porsche Mountain Bike.... :)

Ha yeh you didn't meet me did you? I don't have the physique for riding from Ascot Vale to Romsey to see my folks, or riding across town to go to training twice a week!

If you're active my 2 cents is the Forester.

I like the Forester because you have the flexibility to go pretty much anywhere you would want to in the country, the snow, etc. It's amazing how many more places you will take your bikes or go away for the weekend when you have that bit more clearance and dual range 4wd, it just helps with your confidence even just on dirt roads. I have one and it is brilliant.

Subarus are a bit like Porsches, very well made and they rarely go wrong, but you will pay a little bit more when they do.

Hard to beat.

If you're purely a city girl then I agree something like a Yaras would be pretty hard to beat value for money.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Yeah....and they have a Boxer engine too!!!

Archived