Insurance

Joz

2 hours ago, Naldz88 said:

Just spoke with Shannon’s, got an agreed value of 110k on 996.2 man C4S, $1600 policy. They won’t cover Porsche windscreen replacement but happy to cover regular glass and I pick up the rest of the tab. 

Seems okay, I don’t a squeaky clean history.

At least you can replace a totaled car at that value.  Interesting they won't play when it comes to the windscreen - there's no sensors in them, I wouldn't have thought they were super expensive?

7 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

At least you can replace a totaled car at that value.  Interesting they won't play when it comes to the windscreen - there's no sensors in them, I wouldn't have thought they were super expensive?

I recently replaced the windscreen in my GTI - $850 for genuine. Fella said a genuine Porsche screen is 2k-ish.  He said he did a new Lambo 2 weeks prior, screen was 17k. Ouch.

• 5 months later...

Just renewed my insurance on the 996 C4S again with Enthusiast - I didn't shop around this year as I was happy with the premium of $1175 on an agreed $115k.  I'm restricted to 4,000 kms for the year (which I won't get near).

On the windscreen subject - we picked up a new Volvo XC60 for 2021 and passing a Hansons truck in November, it spat a blue metal rock out of its dog into the windscreen and destroyed it.  NRMA has the policy on this car and I fortunately ticked the windscreen replacement box... $2300 for a genuine replacement!  The windscreen guy mentioned it was a tough job and the sensor array in all these modern cars is a nightmare (this one has radar, wipers, collision avoidance/self steering cameras etc...).  They had dramas calibrating the computers afterwards as they didn't have Volvo specific software.

• 7 months later...

Hey all.

Its that time of the year again for my insurance renewal and I'm at a bit of a loss for the 2022 agreed value for my car, given prices seem to have jumped again!

The car is a 1997 Arctic Silver, Black interior 993, manual, 2 owner, 120kms, factory turbo twists (option), sunroof, never crashed, full Porsche service history from new.

Prices seem to be ranging  between $180k - and mid 200k's for 993's at the moment so a consensus from the PFA brains trust will certainly give me a realistic value. Currently insured for $160K which I think is unders.

Any suggestions appreciated 

Thanks Kev

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 09:40, Fishcop said:

Just renewed my insurance on the 996 C4S again with Enthusiast - I didn't shop around this year as I was happy with the premium of $1175 on an agreed $115k.  I'm restricted to 4,000 kms for the year (which I won't get near).

Hmmm. I mght be a tad underdone then. My 98 996 C2 is with Shannons for 60k agreed on a ~1k premium. On restricted kms too.

3 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Hmmm. I mght be a tad underdone then. My 98 996 C2 is with Shannons for 60k agreed on a ~1k premium. On restricted kms too.

My 01 996 C2 manual is with Shannons at $70k with no mileage restrictions for about $1100.  This is with 2 other cars insured on the policy.  Restricted mileage would only save about $5/wk, so I was happy to pay that for anytime usage seeing as I enjoy driving it so much.

Appropriate bump... my renewal came in for the RS, I was gobsmacked TBH... lowering the insured value by $20k, increase my premium by $1500, then slapping me with $8500 excess due to claims history... This is with Porsche insurance. 

I understand I had two claims in 2021 (both involved reversing in a car park in a Macan) so I am 1) not sure how that risk is associated to a car that never goes to a car-park and only is allowed 24 days use P.A. (it sees half of that) and 2) I made those claims prior to the current insurance period I am on right now, so IMO if it were due to my claims history it should have went up last year. 

I dont have the golden handshake with Shannons and frankly found them to be terrible when I was with them in the past... it is disappointing as Porsche insurance has been good to me to this point. 

Guess I am shopping around now? More to come.... 

8 minutes ago, edgy said:

Appropriate bump... my renewal came in for the RS, I was gobsmacked TBH... lowering the insured value by $20k, increase my premium by $1500, then slapping me with $8500 excess due to claims history... This is with Porsche insurance. 

I understand I had two claims in 2021 (both involved reversing in a car park in a Macan) so I am 1) not sure how that risk is associated to a car that never goes to a car-park and only is allowed 24 days use P.A. (it sees half of that) and 2) I made those claims prior to the current insurance period I am on right now, so IMO if it were due to my claims history it should have went up last year. 

I dont have the golden handshake with Shannons and frankly found them to be terrible when I was with them in the past... it is disappointing as Porsche insurance has been good to me to this point. 

Try MB Insurance.  I've used them for a few years.   Been good on very minor claims & good premiums. 

2 hours ago, edgy said:

Seems a bit harsh I agree.

My policy is with Shannon's, its actually up for renewal and they've just sent the new policy details, the agreed value is the same (some have gone up marginally) and I've always found them good to deal with from a claims lens.  For what it's worth I've just added two vehicles to the existing policy and it was straight forward and the premium's and excess across the total vehicles covered on the policy were fine, highest excess is ~ $1,500 which is on my 911.   

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

Try MB Insurance.  I've used them for a few years.   Been good on very minor claims & good premiums. 

Mine is with Porsche Insurance and that is underwritten by MB Insurance.  Just doing a claim now and all the claim forms are from MB Insurance.

42 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Mine is with Porsche Insurance and that is underwritten by MB Insurance.  Just doing a claim now and all the claim forms are from MB Insurance.

Correct, I contacted Porsche Insurance for a quote then found out MB was their underwriters. I went with MB😀.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/09/2022 at 17:05, edgy said:

On 27/09/2022 at 19:18, 1q2w3e4r said:

My policy is with Shannon's

I'll close the chapter on this one for me this year, I ended up taking out the next policy year with Shannon's they were fair on the premium, excess and insured values... the under writer for Porsche insurance kept coming up with reasons... i.e. we lowered the insured value because the car has been in multiple incidents/claims, which makes some sense to me if we were talking about the right car, alas the car on the policy has been incident free :lol:  

Have to say it's a shame, because they do have a good product and support, the few times I've needed to call on them over the years they've been solid, so full marks there... but this renewal won't be happening.