New to forum. Newbie Q’s for 981 owners…

CV72

I purchased my 2015 Cayman a little under a year ago. Coming from a BMW hot hatch I am still getting comfortable with the drive. Hubby is organizing me a track day so I can get truly comfortable pushing the car like I did the hatch. Questions …

- anyone added rear camera and CarPlay without voiding warranty ?

-does reducing rim size (currently 20”) improve drive ?  Hot hatch seemed to hug the corners a lot more. Dealer has advised against reducing size  

- anyone have issues with vision of kerbs etc due to being so low in car? No ‘lady driver’ comments please 😂

I am looking forward to understanding this car better and getting more out of the drive. 

C04C029C-56D3-45D8-9274-50FDD4686702.jpeg

Welcome to PFA and 981 ownership - my 2014 Cayman has an aftermarket rear view camera and no issues with the extended warranty - the only downside vs the factory fitted unit is I don’t get the guidance lines on the PCM screen when reversing and the dealer is unable to activate. I have not fitted CarPlay due to the warranty issue on the PCM (replacement cost is circa $8,000 if it fails) - that said, if I was to add CarPlay, I would be looking at the Isudar CarPlay system for PCM3.1.

My car has 20” rims and PASM so the ride is reasonably firm but not uncomfortable or unsettled - if your car is running original Pirelli P-Zero tyres, you might look at swapping to Michelin P4S as I found both the ride & handling improved when tyres were replaced. I was driving a new Civic Type R yesterday and it is very firm by comparison and a lot more unsettled over small imperfections in the road surface around Melbourne.

I do find I need to be cautious parking because the car is low - the front parking sensors help (if fitted) but I stay well back from the kerb if parking nose in.

Enjoy!

On 05/02/2022 at 17:15, nytelfer said:

Welcome to PFA and 981 ownership - my 2014 Cayman has an aftermarket rear view camera and no issues with the extended warranty - the only downside vs the factory fitted unit is I don’t get the guidance lines on the PCM screen when reversing and the dealer is unable to activate. I have not fitted CarPlay due to the warranty issue on the PCM (replacement cost is circa $8,000 if it fails) - that said, if I was to add CarPlay, I would be looking at the Isudar CarPlay system for PCM3.1.

My car has 20” rims and PASM so the ride is reasonably firm but not uncomfortable or unsettled - if your car is running original Pirelli P-Zero tyres, you might look at swapping to Michelin P4S as I found both the ride & handling improved when tyres were replaced. I was driving a new Civic Type R yesterday and it is very firm by comparison and a lot more unsettled over small imperfections in the road surface around Melbourne.

I do find I need to be cautious parking because the car is low - the front parking sensors help (if fitted) but I stay well back from the kerb if parking nose in.

Enjoy!

Thank you nytelfer.

Still running the P zeros so will investigate your suggestion. My BMW 125 was ‘on rails’. In comparison I find the Porsche loses its rear end If I push it going around a corner. Snaps back pretty quickly though. 

Great news re rear camera  

Hi there , welcome to the forum Please take my advise with a grain of salt. I am just a Hoon that grew grey hair.

It stumped me a bit when you say your hot hatch was ' hugging the road , and you feel the rear end loses it in the Porsche when pushed hard. The 987/981 are known for their unmatched ability for fast driving through corners and bents. I drive an 987.1 and it goes around bents very fast without any complaints. In fact it would be  difficult to have the rear go wide. I managed a couple of times on wet roads and going through round a bouts with 100 km incoming speed. I don't do that anymore by the way. I am driving a 'hot hatch' as well , Mark 7.5 GTI VW . Very fast car , but the fast cornering ability does not compare to the Cayman. I have my tyres replaced tomorrow and my current Bridgestone Potenzas are gone, That still allows me to go through tight corners on the limit. I would have the suspension set up , camber , shocks, coils and tyres all checked and tested. It just sounds very unusual the way your car behaves. Not sure where you are located , but I can recommend Jocaro, great Indie shop , they are competent and honest. Good luck with it . Maybe we see you on a SMT., 

11 minutes ago, Arne Krix said:

It stumped me a bit when you say your hot hatch was ' hugging the road , and you feel the rear end loses it in the Porsche when pushed hard. The 987/981 are known for their unmatched ability for fast driving through corners and bents.

I must say I'm in the same camp as Arne here... 🤔 I may have to start eyeing off BMW 125s on Carsales so I can drive one to find out myself! 😆

I have a 981 Cayman GTS and it is able to 'hug corners' unlike anything I've ever had before... which were mostly hot hatches.  I did change to the Michelin PS4S, so per the other comments I would suggest this as a first course of action.  Assuming you're on factory rubber those tyres are now 7 years old and would be hard as rocks (I still have my factory P-Zeros on another set of wheels and can confirm they get slippery and hard as they age). 

It's not clear whether your car is a base, or an S (It looks like an 'S"?) - does it have PASM?  Another option would be to look at having the dealer retrofit the 'X73' suspension which lowers the car and gives you a much more track focused spring setup (read: stiffer).  Do a google search on x73 retrofit to find out more on that.

Lastly, my GTS will snap around at the rear particularly when in Sports-Plus mode, I find 'Sport' to be a bit more comfortable for high speed cornering (as I'm not a pro driver and like the 'safety net' of having the computer watch over me! :)

In terms of visibility, it does take a bit of getting used to, the car is so low you have to be careful when parking, etc... for higher speed driving I normally crank the seat up a few notches so I can see over the bonnet a bit more, try a different seating position if you are struggling with viewing the apex. 

Hope that helps!

8 hours ago, Beau said:

Assuming you're on factory rubber those tyres are now 7 years old and would be hard as rocks (I still have my factory P-Zeros on another set of wheels and can confirm they get slippery and hard as they age). 

Our 2013 981 Boxster had the original P-Zeros on it when we bought it 3 years ago.  They were atrocious, even then with only 25000kms on them, hard as a rock.......  PS4S sound like a good move, although we've had a good run with Yoko V105s too

Having owned a couple of caymans I would say that by a large factor they have been the car's that have responsed best to any steering input. 

You can literally place those cars where you want into a corner, even responding very well to steering adjustments mid corner which would see many a car that is pro ported to be a "handler" become very unstable. When pushed hard they are still calibrated to understeer and my experience has been that it would take a fair effort on a public road to induce oversteer.

I have always ran Michelin PS previously however when I purchased the current one it had a fresh set of Pzero's on it. Like all new tyres they are excellent. They are now 2 or so years old and I think they will "time out" before I wear them out. In my personal experience the best mod you can do on a "sorted"  Porsche is a set of new tyres! 

My thoughts on the P'zero's ...... Noisy lot's of road noise however Porsche's are not a quiet place to be in when It comes to road noise. Guess it helps dull the the trim squeaks!

I shall be going with another option in about a year when I feel their time is up?

How old are the tyres? they have a date stamp on them.

just had my tyres replaced this morning. The existing Bridgestones came with the car and were brand new at the time. 4 years and 25000 km later they are rock hard and worn down , very little profile left. My new tyres are Yokohama A052 's , not outright street tyres , more or less street legal track tyres. I will not get more than 15-20000 km out of them . But the car sticks to the road like glue. I think Grimmy is right , it is a lot about tyres.

1 hour ago, CV72 said:

Is this the date stamp ?

7F016FEB-474C-404D-BEE3-3DAE030BDFAA.jpeg

That's a 2014 tyre, I managed to get a set of PS4S and the transformation on all fronts was next level, after all, that is the only contact patch so it better be good. Hope there is stock now as when I got mine, I waited for ages.