1966 912 coupe ?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure seems cheap, even for a LHD to me, always a bit wary of cars on gumtree, but has club plates etc.

Wasserkuhl would probably have a good idea on the price and pros and cons on that one.

Nice find though REAX.

Errrm.

I'm on it.

On first look it does look too cheap.

The paint has had the richard so needs new paint.

The steering wheel is kaput, and these wheels are E X P E N S I V E.

The seats are not correct for that year.

Now we are getting into details here, the front horn grilles are mis-matched so it has probably had a little crash at some stage in its life as these should have 2 screw grilles, this has one 2 screw and one 4 screw.

Still. worth a look as I can re paint it quite easily...........

800 km drive for me soon.

Yep same car.

Thanks for that, I read the pre purchase inspection report. Nothing too scary on there.

I believe there is a chap from sydney keen on it so will find out if he has bought it on wednesday, if not I am off to Geelong at 1 am sat morning.

I think Its cheap because it needs paint and rust repair. Something that I am not scared of.

sacrilege would not be driving it..or (for me) putting in a flat 6...stan pobjoy builds a solid old skool twin plug typ 1 for resasonable money and with a 12 mth 'in car' warranty. He also can twin plug and tweak the 616 motor. Good engineer.

17k if it needs all the work on the body and if it is hiding more, suggests it may be a bit high irrespective of it been lhd or rhd. Though the other way to look at it as a rolling project,,without pretension of been anything but what it is,  would suggest it is good money for an early car. If this was a 'vaunted' 911 there would be no quibbling in the market place - it would have sold.

It didnt meet reserve at shannons, now on gumtree - out of interest why is gumtree suffering a bad rap? Like the porsche parts and 914 for sale listed in Sydney there are real cars posted here.

It didnt meet reserve at shannons, now on gumtree - out of interest why is gumtree suffering a bad rap?

Michel, I didn't give GUMTREE a bad rap or a good rap for that matter, regarding this particular 912.

GUMTREE just doesn't appear to be the market place for "special cars" IMO. So as I said, I would be a

tad wary of the adverts but that doesn't mean anything else but that. My thoughts probably stem from the

ad "possibly" trying to win a potential buyer who doesn't know much about the car they are looking at.

Where as in the "normal" sites that sell "special cars" the seller knows he is probably going to deal with

someone who knows about what he is possibly purchasing. No malice intended against sellers or GUMTREE,

just MHO. In time to come my opinion may change.

I use gumtree for other stuff and think it is a great site.

With Gumtree - On the other hand it might simply be a case of the seller not being in a hurry to sell, listing it knowing it will come up in a Google Search (which is how I found the Shannons 912 and the 914 that Michel is referring to) and not wanting to pay for advertising if he/she can get away with selling on gumtree :)   just a different opinion Niko :)  neither is right or wrong obviously.

Just sayin....   ;)

Hee Hee!

I looked at this when it was at Shannons. It’s pretty rough so over priced at $17K

How Rough? Just paint and body? Or does it have terminal Rust everywhere?

Anyone know how many 912s were delivered to Aus? There isn't many for sale..ever!

In short , Bugger all. Loads delivered to USA and Europe though. genuine RHD ones are quite rare. Earlier ones ie:1965/1966 with 5 Dials and a 5 Speed trans are quite rare. The 5 Speed is not an overdrive, just 5 closely stacked gears. Still a lovely early Porsche all the same.

would it be sacrilidge to take out the 356 engine and save it, and put in some 2.4l aluminium VW scat creation in there for more power? 

Depends who you talk to. I'd rather install a Polopoulos 2.4 Flat 4 (Derived from the mezger Six) But tht costs alot of wonga. A Porsche 1600 Pushrod, upgraded with 1835 Barrells/Pistons will make some decent power and keep it looking the same. Every second 912 in the states has a Type 3 or 4 VW Motor in it.

With Gumtree - On the other hand it might simply be a case of the seller not being in a hurry to sell, listing it knowing it will come up in a Google Search (which is how I found the Shannons 912 and the 914 that Michel is referring to) and not wanting to pay for advertising if he/she can get away with selling on gumtree :)   just a different opinion Niko :)  neither is right or wrong obviously.

Just sayin....   ;)

Good points A, and I have just had a look at the gum tree site, must admit it had been a while since I had had a look at it.

Makes sense in what your saying. Site looks pretty good. My main thought still though is that if it is a "special car" not a run of the mill

I would still be looking at using the more recognized car sites. But appreciate what your saying.

Regards,

Uncle Niko

Hi npv, I don't think anyone is saying it,s a scam, the question just being how good/bad the bodywork is.

Thanks for vouching for the creds of the owner though, but his integrity is certainly not in question.

Regards,

Niko

It's not a scam or anything.  That 912 belongs to a well known guy on the TYP901 registry.  He also has an 1965 911 and is selling the 912 because he doesn't have enough garage space for both cars and a boat.  

And many of you guys have already met him.

Archived