Tassie Targa crash RIP

tomo

I know there are a few current or ex first responders here - I'm one.  For me the first thing that comes to mind when hearing of these fatalities (racing or not) is the flashbacks and then remembering the trauma it inflicts on all involved - from physically trying to save someone to delivering death messages to friends and family - it is harrowing and never ever leaves you.  There is more than a dollar cost and insurance issues to consider when racing.

Sad to hear about this. 

Rally is an exciting way to get about, but I found the consequences too high and personally prefer the track. A wheel off in the grass on the track normally ends up in the kitty litter, in targa it’s potentially into a tree. However competitors know the risks going in, and the organisers do all they can to ensure a safe event. It would be a shame to see these events no longer able to run. 

Also agree with Obrut that the Buller stages are pretty wild but also my favourite. 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

I'm yet to do a Targa Tas and hope to do one soon enough. Baw Baw is definitely up there in terms of technicality, tightest & highest corner ratio of them all. Matched with a very patchy surface and it's definitely 'busy' in the cabin! 

Tarmac rallying is the best. The community around it is reflective of this also. 

Totally agree. I have been doing hill climbs and Targa driving for 40 years , most of it in Europe , coming to think of it , close enough of 20 years in Victoria. I don't know about others , but speaking of myself : I think a lot of problems that can come up, have to do with fatigue and losing concentration.  I can drive all day , no problem , but 30 minutes of driving on the limit , particularly on an unfamiliar road , is very testing . Driving 6 days in a row , multiple sections per day , I would have to take it down a few notches , in order to stay safe. Counter intuitive in a competitive setting. Might not be an issue for others , but that is the one point that scares me about multi day competitive events .  

7 minutes ago, tomo said:

Why don't  you blokes stop thinking about yourself and future challenges and spare a minute for Tony Seymore and his family.

I think that has been done and is on every bodies mind. Having an open discussion  about the subject, and topic of various aspects of racing,  to me does not constitute " thinking about myself." 

Fishcop's comments about the long tentacles of this tragedy is true.  

The back of the Seymour car smacked a kerb the day before.  What are the odds that this incident was caused by a mechanical failure?  However, until the investigation is completed, this can only be speculation.