Why the Porsche 996 GT2 is underrated

Ripper car, not intimidating at all.  I read years ago that the scary reputation was all because of conservative alignment from Porsche on press cars.  A couple of journos drove through the understeer and got spat off the road.  Or something like that.  This one has been through the hands of 3 PFAers.

I saw 263 down PI main straight = weapon

@mc968cs @spiller

https://youtu.be/HF0iPYLfkfA

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Ripper car, not intimidating at all.  I read years ago that the scary reputation was all because of conservative alignment from Porsche on press cars.  A couple of journos drove through the understeer and got spat off the road.  Or something like that.  This one has been through the hands of 3 PFAers.

I saw 263 down PI main straight = weapon

@mc968cs @spiller

https://youtu.be/HF0iPYLfkfA

What a beast, sounds great too 

Awesome car…just get it wheel aligned properly.  I did have rules for driving this car as you really are ‘on your own’ in it….. Helped one stay alive and enjoying it. 

1. never drive it after a drink - not even 1

2. never drive it angry, not even a little 

C299A0FB-C3BA-4776-8BA8-278864356280.thumb.jpeg.1685cf680b04573076780cd9de60eab6.jpeg5A66346E-ABAC-4CD1-AAFF-C1EEC34DBA41.thumb.jpeg.e74559b3e327a3653750c65585f7be72.jpeg

They are indeed an awesome car , I always take anything said or claimed on these you tube reviews with a grain of salt so to speak , those of us who own these cars that are talked about on these reviews really know a lot more about them than someone who has the car for 24 hrs :Beer:

50 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

Awesome car…just get it wheel aligned properly.  I did have rules for driving this car as you really are ‘on your own’ in it….. Helped one stay alive and enjoying it. 

1. never drive it after a drink - not even 1

2. never drive it angry, not even a little 

C299A0FB-C3BA-4776-8BA8-278864356280.thumb.jpeg.1685cf680b04573076780cd9de60eab6.jpeg5A66346E-ABAC-4CD1-AAFF-C1EEC34DBA41.thumb.jpeg.e74559b3e327a3653750c65585f7be72.jpeg

Never drive hard on wet leafy roads up Reefton Spur…….

I broke that rule a short time after I bought it from you.  not yet that familiar with the car or that road but I chased Jim in his well driven modified 996TT and stupidly tried to stay with him - AWD vs RWD and TC/SC vs seat of the pants.

Very sketchy drive but wow what a car.  Jim got out at Marysville cool as a cucumber.  By contrast I was sweaty and jumpy from the adrenaline surge 😂   I reckon it was 500% more memorable for me because of the hard core nature of the car.

One of the most exhilarating (irresponsible?) things I’ve done in my 51 years 😬. I’m older and wiser now.

I drove the same road in the dry in 991.2 GT3 PDK on my way to leaving the keys with PCM.  No doubt the 991was faster and sound was epic bouncing off the cliffs.  But there is something to be said about lack of safety net and the old school feel of the GT2 that made it such an event to drive.  

makes me think I’d have another…….🤔

1 hour ago, DJM said:

Never drive hard on wet leafy roads up Reefton Spur…….

I broke that rule a short time after I bought it from you.  not yet that familiar with the car or that road but I chased Jim in his well driven modified 996TT and stupidly tried to stay with him - AWD vs RWD and TC/SC vs seat of the pants.

Very sketchy drive but wow what a car.  Jim got out at Marysville cool as a cucumber.  By contrast I was sweaty and jumpy from the adrenaline surge 😂   I reckon it was 500% more memorable for me because of the hard core nature of the car.

One of the most exhilarating (irresponsible?) things I’ve done in my 51 years 😬. I’m older and wiser now.

I drove the same road in the dry in 991.2 GT3 PDK on my way to leaving the keys with PCM.  No doubt the 991was faster and sound was epic bouncing off the cliffs.  But there is something to be said about lack of safety net and the old school feel of the GT2 that made it such an event to drive.  

makes me think I’d have another…….🤔

Just curious.   How did the 991.2 gt3 go compared to the  996 gt2 going up  that hill a few k's from your joint with the solid wall on the passengers side of the road? I suspect a lot less lateral movement in the rear  both left and right compared to what I experienced. 

When you consider the age of the car and last century tech,  I was so  impressed with the pullup in that thing under braking that I finally   got around to putting on the  same yellow front calipers and  some gt2/ gt3  suspension part numbers to compliment some  ohlins bits  to get closer to what the gt2 offers up compared to an  aged stock turbo from a handling and braking perspective. 

So 996 gt2 as a daily driver to work with some half decent  80 /100 km  zones going the long way to work to  throw in couple of extra roundabouts and a hill ( no walls) but strictly driving in  vaccum  with 0.0 on the boost gauge each weekday.  Is that what happens when your on the wrong side of 50. 

3 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Just curious.   How did the 991.2 gt3 go compared to the  996 gt2 going up  that hill a few k's from your joint with the solid wall on the passengers side of the road? I suspect a lot less lateral movement in the rear  both left and right compared to what I experienced. 

When you consider the age of the car and last century tech,  I was so  impressed with the pullup in that thing under braking that I finally   got around to putting on the  same yellow front calipers and  some gt2/ gt3  suspension part numbers to compliment some  ohlins bits  to get closer to what the gt2 offers up compared to an  aged stock turbo from a handling and braking perspective. 

So 996 gt2 as a daily driver to work with some half decent  80 /100 km  zones going the long way to work to  throw in couple of extra roundabouts and a hill ( no walls) but strictly driving in  vaccum  with 0.0 on the boost gauge each weekday.  Is that what happens when your on the wrong side of 50. 

The GT2 felt more aggressive but on a windy road the 991 would definitely be quicker, more planted, TC, easier to drive fast without stressing as much, more clinical.  Similar horsepower but more accessible in the GT3.  PDK quicker than old school manual. 

Both very special cars but i reckon after driving back to back, I'd go for the GT2 keys given the sense of occasion, rarity and aggressive feel.  But if using regularly, you'd take the GT3 for  ease, comfort and tech.

7 hours ago, smit2100 said:

If well driven that 996 gt2 is wicked quick.  As fast as the fastest 997 gt3 with modded everything (think $250k in mods to the 997 gt3 such as whole underneath as Porsche motorsports suspension, built engine and regeared….).

It’s a massively capable car.