997 and 987 become a Porsche Classic

WGA

Just received an email from my Porsche Club in the UK

Dear Warren,

We are pleased to announce that Porsche Classic, which aims to preserve and maintain legendary vehicles and the latest classics, now support the 911 (Type 997), Boxster and Cayman (Type 987) models.

To discuss this further and to present the benefits this may offer our members, we are holding a Zoom presentation on Tuesday, 7 February at 7pm live from Porsche Centre Leeds. This is open to all, but is specific to 997 owners, as well as 987 Boxsters and 987 Caymans, and we have a technical talk looking at both a 997 and 987 car with a technician talking us through items to look out for. Please register to view in the link below, and we will email out the login details just before the event.

Brilliant! Finally... seemed to be such a long wait for the 997 to get invited in compared to the 996.

Thanks for the heads up.  Now I can finally say I have a classic car. I don't think I will ever sell my 997.2- it has aged so well and is still tremendously fun to drive on roads.

51 minutes ago, HWY said:

Brilliant! Finally... seemed to be such a long wait for the 997 to get invited in compared to the 996.

Thanks for the heads up.  Now I can finally say I have a classic car. I don't think I will ever sell my 997.2- it has aged so well and is still tremendously fun to drive on roads.

986/996 took 21/20 years to become a "porsche classic". So it looks like the age is dropping down to 18 years for the program, which is not a bad thing if it means parts availability improves for the harder to get parts.

1 hour ago, HWY said:

I dont think there are any tangible benefits.  Just allows me to know I finally own a classic, and can post pics on Classic Porsche Australia FB group.

No you can't, coz I'll delete it 😅😉

43 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I understand Porsche Dealer servicing costs are at a reduced hourly rate. 

By what $2.50/h? 😅

21 hours ago, luzzo said:

I understand Porsche Dealer servicing costs are at a reduced hourly rate. 

I remember I could do some sort of fixed price standard service on the 996 for $495 … but I never knew how that compared to if it wasn’t a classic. What’s a 991 or 992 service cost?

I think you will find that when “classic” is applied to a particular model by Porsche then you obtain trade pricing for spare parts. It has nothing to do with servicing costs. Porsche Willoughby have been applying the discounts for at least the past 12-18mths. 

Is that all spare parts which attract the trade pricing? Or just selected items?

and

whats the differential between trade and retail pricing? more or less than 20%?

Anyhow, this newly acquired “classic” status can only be a good thing.

Hi all, I called Porsche and they want 3k for the unit plus install.

Looking for alternatives and found this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/334539152793?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=oMarVAe8Rh2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_fAEih6JTrm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What is everyone's thoughts?

8 hours ago, mystro said:

Hi all, I called Porsche and they want 3k for the unit plus install.

Looking for alternatives and found this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/334539152793?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=oMarVAe8Rh2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_fAEih6JTrm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What is everyone's thoughts?

Yea nah!

2 hours ago, mystro said:

hahaha any reason? I read a few post on rennlist and seems ok. 

Any suggestions?

No real suggestions from me, but seeing as I needed/wanted CarPlay.

Have you approached any custom installers? They may have something that suits.

But if it will work for you and you like it why not?

• 2 weeks later...