Bentley Turbo R

Have an opportnity to pick up late 80's Bentley Turbo R for a relatively cheap price through a friend of a friend who is going through financial difficulties at the moment..

I've always had a soft spot for these cars, does anyone have any experience with them.. thoughts on using it as a short term daily driver.. 15k round trip to work every day ?

I'm aware of these cars reputation.. but are they really that bad ?

all I know is that they use Citroen Hydraulic spheres for the rear suspension.

and they're probably a nightmare to work on like every other English thing I've ever touched

Slam it on it's proverbials and make it into a cool cruiser.

Then keep your fingers crossed and make certain you are on good terms with your bank manager.

Hi mate. I used to work for Bentley Motors (not a dealership) and very familiar with these cars.

The late 1980's Turbo Rs were definitive road locos and most owners we got into Arnages in the mid 2000s were formerly Turbo R owners. It retained the 6 3/4 litre V8 and seemed nearly limitless on the torque meter to drive.

If it's a well cared for Crewe car then there's not a lot to be afraid of, small things (particularly electrics) will fault but mechanically they are fairly good. I have seen them fitted with later model Arnage motors and also Chev small-blocks when they expire. Gearbox and rear-end is more a risk.

Personally I would have no hesitation to buy one.

Not to influence you at all, but you should know that:

Rolls Royces are for bounders and cads

Bentleys are for real Gentlemen, Officers and Good Sorts

If you can stand that heat, get into the kitchen

So did you buy it???

A Bentley turbo r has been on my wish list for a while now. Gotta get a garage to put them in first :-(

Yes deal done...just waiting for my mechanic to put it up on the hoist and address a pool off oil under the car (gearbox) and get my RWC done.. yes space is a problem so might have to put up my daily driver for sale 2000 Merc E55..to allow me to potter around in the R... 

Yes deal done...just waiting for my mechanic to put it up on the hoist and address a pool off oil under the car (gearbox) and get my RWC done.. yes space is a problem so might have to put up my daily driver for sale 2000 Merc E55..to allow me to potter around in the R... 

i could think of worse fates.. :P congrats mate!

• 1 month later...

Archived