I suppose everyone has seen this photo but I hadn't

A mate of mine who is into E Types sent me this photo of 3 Porsches on their way along Dandenong Rd to the Sandown racetrack.

Obviously this rather small and blurry shot was taken when Hamilton's were based just up the road in the Noble Park factory.

I think Mark [Jnr356] may have mentioned this crazy happening in one of his posts awhile back.

Well here is the photographic proof.

Can't imagine it happening today with all the namby pamby that we now have to deal with.

Dave post-85-0-75537500-1375077105_thumb.jpg

Great story and photo.

Reminds me of something I read quite sometime back about Peter Brock and Larry Perkins effort at Le Mans back in '84 in the customer 956. Larry being the meticulous engineer that he was, was fiddling with the car late one evening. It was very close to race day and no time for testing so he took it for a rap up the road at the village they were staying. Could you imagine that thing starting up late at night and hearing it take off up the road!

I always remember that story. So different to today's corporate world where somebody would turn around and say, you can't do that. Mind you they probably said that back then to Larry but he wouldn't care..

Along a similar vein I'm sure wheels magazine had a feature on Alan Hamiltons road registerd
(I think) 906 (calling JNR356)I might even have a copy at home.
Any one else remember it????

Stop looking everyone, as usual my best friend google knows-:

http://www.sportscarracinghistory.com/Porsche908019.html

A mate of mine who is into E Types sent me this photo of 3 Porsches on their way along Dandenong Rd to the Sandown racetrack.

Obviously this rather small and blurry shot was taken when Hamilton's were based just up the road in the Noble Park factory.

I think Mark [Jnr356] may have mentioned this crazy happening in one of his posts awhile back.

Well here is the photographic proof.

Can't imagine it happening today with all the namby pamby that we now have to deal with.

Dave attachicon.giffacebook_745354292.jpg

Imagine the conversation.. "$1000 for a car transporter, only $400 fine for driving on the road. Get in the car!"

Great story and photo.

Reminds me of something I read quite sometime back about Peter Brock and Larry Perkins effort at Le Mans back in '84 in the customer 956. Larry being the meticulous engineer that he was, was fiddling with the car late one evening. It was very close to race day and no time for testing so he took it for a rap up the road at the village they were staying. Could you imagine that thing starting up late at night and hearing it take off up the road!

I always remember that story. So different to today's corporate world where somebody would turn around and say, you can't do that. Mind you they probably said that back then to Larry but he wouldn't care..

Keep this in mind next time you hear "reform" uttered by some pollie.  What they mean by that is "regulation".  Regulation seldom benefits those of us on the outside.

Great shots! 

Nothing like a 956, but I did get away with this type of thing once in Dubai with the 944 race car. My pick up truck didn't turn up in time one race weekend and I was in danger of missing qualifying. I found the old number plates from when I had bought the car in road going form almost a year earlier, taped them on with duct tape and drove to the track.

Fully stickered, 1100 pound springs, open three inch exhaust and 12 inch wide race slicks rolling down Dubai's main roads  :) Scared lots of people including myself, couldn't see properly and sweating in 40 degree heat with no ac or open windows but got there just in time and managed not to get a puncture!    Of course, here I would have been arrested.....

Archived