Been waiting for these holidays to remove the box guttering from our old 10m x 4m extension (aka loungeroom) so that we don't get a repeat of the roof cavity filling up with water from hard rain. 

41 degrees Christmas day, and 2 days later torrential rain and a ceiling full of water! Sh.....t!!!! No choice but to knock it down and start again. Just what I f.....g need

Nightmare. So, knock what down exactly? Surely not the whole structure?!

Nightmare. So, knock what down exactly? Surely not the whole structure?!

Yes mate

It's basically 10 x 4 metres of 80's style bronze anodized aluminium clad windows that leak, 2.4 ceiling height with bugger all insulation, so its either like an oven over 25degC, or freezing cold in winter, and that's with a split system air cond.. That, plus I'm worried the electrical's in the ceiling are now wet and dodgy, the carpet is well buggered plus other small issues that need attention.

3 builders quoted us to remove/replace the roof a while ago, yet 2 of them said they just didn't really want the job, as it wasn't built very well and needs more than just the above works done. Also, the insurance company would only replace the ceiling gyprock, and even they said it would make more sense to knock down and start again, extend it out by a metre or so and go up to 2.7 ceiling height. 

Frustrating and no doubt expensive, yet for our comfort and future home value (and keep the cheese n kisses happy), it would make sense to do the whole lot in one go

I have been through numerous bush fires at the back of our place over the years, nearly losing the house in 2009, a couple of days before the big fires in Marysville etc.

Standing on the roof using a garden hose with a gale of a wind blowing embers over the entire house and roof area.   Like pissing into the wind.

MELBOURNE WATER own the land behind and Frankston Council own the land beside us.    The council has done a great job keeping things cut and manageable.

MELBOURNE WATER have done bugger all and let the bracken and t trees grow out of control once again.

So this afternoon about three hours ago, all hell breaks loose, once again.   Rumour has it a 14 year old or similar male was seen in the bush.  

Next thing it is all up in flames.  

Today I was lucky, the wind took the flames and embers etc away from my house.   First time I have had some luck with the wind.

Then when the firies arrive, both CFA and the Metro, because their are barriers put up all over the place. 

(because of trailbike and monkey bike problem here, plus they were responsible for lighting the last fires over the years)

They can't get their appliances in......finally get into one section but still can't get to the fires because there has been a gate fitted specifically for this sort of occaision.

It has a padlock on it that the Firies are all supposed to have to get through.

Guess what.    They can't get in, Fire is now raging.   and heading South at a rapid rate.

Eventually out comes the saws etc and they have to chop down some of the barriers to get in.

Finally in... and do a great job once they were in.   I'm not blaming the firies for this I could see the frustration on their faces.

MELBOURNE WATER get your act together and get the keys out to the relevant people.....Houses and possibly lives could very well be at risk.

We live in Suburbia here for Chr---- Sake, we are not out in the bush.

Anyway, a very big thanks to all the various CFA units that turned up and the MFB unit.  

Big thanks also to the choppers dropping retardent and water on the fires.   Awesome to watch them in action.. 

Took a few shots while standing around with a hose in my hand looking over my back fence....Hoping the wind didn't change...

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

To finish off..... to all you greenies that love having this bush crap in our back yards, I hope you might one day have the same worries as we do.

To Melbourne Water.   Your a disgrace.   Get rid of all these crap t trees and bracken.  Or come and look after it and thin it out...or something

And for f....s sake, get the key to the padlock out to the right people, so they can get their trucks in, and fight the fires.

And to all the firies involved today.   THANKS....ONCE AGAIN...

C.F.A.     M.F.B.   Paid or unpaid....I don't give a rats arse....Love your work...I for one am in your debt.

Edited by Niko

I have been through numerous bush fires at the back of our place over the years, nearly losing the house in 2009, a couple of days before the big fires in Marysville etc.

Standing on the roof using a garden hose with a gale of a wind blowing embers over the entire house and roof area.   Like pissing into the wind.

MELBOURNE WATER own the land behind and Frankston Council own the land beside us.    The council has done a great job keeping things cut and manageable.

MELBOURNE WATER have done bugger all and let the bracken and t trees grow out of control once again.

So this afternoon about three hours ago, all hell breaks loose, once again.   Rumour has it a 14 year old or similar male was seen in the bush.  

Today I was lucky, the wind took the flames and embers etc away from my house.   First time I have had some luck with the wind.

Then when the firies arrive, both CFA and the Metro, because their are barriers put up all over the place. 

(because of trailbike and monkey bike problem here, plus they were responsible for lighting the last fires over the years)

They can't get their appliances in......finally get into one section but still can't get to the fires because there has been a gate fitted specifically for this sort of occaision.

Guess what.    They can't get in, Fire is now raging.   and heading South at a rapid rate.

Eventually out comes the saws etc and they have to chop down some of the barriers to get in.

Finally in... and do a great job once they were in.   I'm not blaming the firies for this I could see the frustration on their faces.

MELBOURNE WATER get your act together and get the keys out to the relevant people.....Houses and possibly lives could very well be at risk.

Anyway, a very big thanks to all the various CFA units that turned up and the MFB unit.  

Big thanks also to the choppers dropping retardent and water on the fires.   Awesome to watch them in action.. 

Took a few shots while standing around with a hose in my hand looking over my back fence....Hoping the wind didn't change...

To finish off..... to all you greenies that love having this bush crap in our back yards, I hope you might one day have the same worries as we do.

To Melbourne Water.   Your a disgrace.   Get rid of all these crap t trees and bracken.  Or come and look after it and thin it out...or something

And for f....s sake, get the key to the padlock out to the right people, so they can get their trucks in, and fight the fires.

C.F.A.     M.F.B.   Paid or unpaid....I don't give a rats arse....Love your work...I for one am in your debt.

Bad story, but with a good ending.  Great pix.  

Yes mate

It's basically 10 x 4 metres of 80's style bronze anodized aluminium clad windows that leak, 2.4 ceiling height with bugger all insulation, so its either like an oven over 25degC, or freezing cold in winter, and that's with a split system air cond.. That, plus I'm worried the electrical's in the ceiling are now wet and dodgy, the carpet is well buggered plus other small issues that need attention.

3 builders quoted us to remove/replace the roof a while ago, yet 2 of them said they just didn't really want the job, as it wasn't built very well and needs more than just the above works done. Also, the insurance company would only replace the ceiling gyprock, and even they said it would make more sense to knock down and start again, extend it out by a metre or so and go up to 2.7 ceiling height. 

Frustrating and no doubt expensive, yet for our comfort and future home value (and keep the cheese n kisses happy), it would make sense to do the whole lot in one go

Well.  Bollocks.  That's crap.

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg

Close call Niko, once again the guys on the ground have to work around f#%ked up beaurocracy to get the job done! Just as well the Aussie can do attitude is still alive.

Niko. Did the oil dumpin' ferals have anything to do with this? or better still, did their house burn down?

Great pic of the chopper taking a dump.

ha ha...well that is a very interesting question.   I'll fill you in so to speak when I see you....

Glad all worked out Niko. I know we've spoken about this before and if I'm not mistaken there is a photo somewhere of some bloke hosing a fire from a roof! 

Thanks mate.....didn't have to do the roof today, thanks to the wind....But there is a piccy in existence..

First vent for 2017!  

Gumtree time wasters ?

Trying to give away a couple of old sofas, guy rings 2 minutes after posting ad "I'll pick them up tomorrow afternoon"  No show today and his number is blocked. 

Anyone want some old red leather sofas for the cave? (In Melbourne eastern burbs 3147)

First vent for 2017!  

Gumtree time wasters ?

Trying to give away a couple of old sofas, guy rings 2 minutes after posting ad "I'll pick them up tomorrow afternoon"  No show today and his number is blocked. 

Anyone want some old red leather sofas for the cave? (In Melbourne eastern burbs 3147)

As Airhead says nature strip is the winner - In my book if they're online you're also better to have a token price, say $50 and you'll cut out half the castor kickers Freebie people problem

Nature strip is no good.  No through traffic. Besides I can't see the Telly from there.  It's being used until it goes out the door. 

Bring them down my way Harvs, I have a neighbour a few doors up will get rid of them for you.

He just dumps all his stuff in the reserve behind us.  Right behind his own property...  

There was a lounge suite dumped there about a year ago, (Kindly removed by Melbourne Water) so he is due for another one.

Bring them down my way Harvs, I have a neighbour a few doors up will get rid of them for you.

He just dumps all his stuff in the reserve behind us.  Right behind his own property...  

There was a lounge suite dumped there about a year ago, (Kindly removed by Melbourne Water) so he is due for another one.

Does he use them to sit and watch the fires?

I ordered some parts to do an intake refresh on my 928 prior to chrissie so I could do it in my time off. Parts were sent on 22nd December but I never received them! The company opened today so I phoned them and asked were they were? They were sent on 22nd as he said and arrived at my PO box the next day..... Rang the post office "yes there is a parcel here has been here for a couple of weeks" FFS, I was in every day for the past 2 weeks to see if there, not once was I notified and my mother in law even asked if there were any parcels there on occasion!! I had an extra week off work home by myself to do this work on my car.

NOT HAPPY!!

I ordered some parts to do an intake refresh on my 928 prior to chrissie so I could do it in my time off. Parts were sent on 22nd December but I never received them! The company opened today so I phoned them and asked were they were? They were sent on 22nd as he said and arrived at my PO box the next day..... Rang the post office "yes there is a parcel here has been here for a couple of weeks" FFS, I was in every day for the past 2 weeks to see if there, not once was I notified and my mother in law even asked if there were any parcels there on occasion!! I had an extra week off work home by myself to do this work on my car.

NOT HAPPY!!

grrrr, that shit drives me mad!

Now I'm sounding like a real old fart...don't ask me how are you Niko?....unless you have an hour to spare..

I got bitten by some sort of spider over a week ago and my left knee is infected and sore as buggery, anti biotics slowly working.

But itchy as all get out, where I got bitten/stung or whatever you call it.

Then went to the Dentist the other day...oh great, the root canal tooth I had done a few years ago which nearly killed me, has now got a crack in it.

Also has a cyst, which was infected.    Luckily I was already on antibiotics for my knee so there was a big saving.;)

Back to the Dentist today to have said tooth ripped from my head.  

Lovely Lady dentist said she would remove the tooth and then possibly have to cut into the gums to get the roots out.:o

5 injections to deaden everything later.... 

(apparently there was also adrenaline in amongst the deadener, she said don't be alarmed if it feels like your heart is going to bounce out of your chest:wacko:).

and then a few minutes later woo hoooo tooth and roots all came out at once.:D

Not only that...... my natural good looks are still the same, so apart from hooking into the panadols I'm slowly coming back to life.

I feel like an old man.......hang on.....I am an old man..bugger :ph34r:........Need a drive in the black one to bring the world back to normalityB)

I feel like an old man.......hang on.....I am an old man..bugger :ph34r:........Need a drive in the black one to bring the world back to normalityB)

Not the best week Niko, but you've nailed the medicine. Head straight for the little black bottle labeled "Cayman". No maximum dosage per day! 

Not the best week Niko, but you've nailed the medicine. Head straight for the little black bottle labeled "Cayman". No maximum dosage per day! 

Just did exactly that.....and I feel like a 20 year old again:D    Well 50 year old again.....well......