Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Nice 928 GTS. I don't know the market for these too well but given it left the factory as an auto and has been since converted to manual I think the asking price is too high.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1994/SSE-AD-2290655

A great car ; GTS are rare and therefore "collectable" though the Oz market is pretty small. It is a cheap supercar for sure. And yes , a very nice video review.

$25k for a Carrera 3.2 with a broken head stud? so a DIY fix for $5k and you end up with a $40k car?

or was there more wrong with it?

What would be the ballpark retail cost on fixing the broken head stud if you couldn't do it yourself?

Actually that'd be great. I've sent some messages backwards and forwards with the owner and he's sent me some relatively poor images through. He said it's a full resto, interior is original but 'good for it's age' which I've heard enough times now to completely disregard. It's a Euro import, but he claims it's rust-free. I just burnt money on an inspection on a car in Sydney which I probably could have saved by imposing on someone to have a look first. 

I'll get back in contact with the owner, and then can I shoot you a PM to organise something at your convenience?

The broken head stud car is a LHD convert to RHD.  Are we saying converted LHD is a $40k car?

I'm saying the low end of aus delivered 3.2's seem to be around $50k. i'd knock off 10k for it being a conversion, but if it's in as good a nick as it seems I can't see why buying it for $25k and spending $5k on it you wouldn't make money (so long as you're prepared to DIY)

in fact, for that money i'd buy it and drive it, assuming it's one of the top head studs

What would be the ballpark retail cost on fixing the broken head stud if you couldn't do it yourself?

I'd think you'd actually get it done for $5k assuming they don't find anything else wrong. I was counting on a budget of $5k for any of the other incidental stuff you'd need to find.

at $25k with a broken head stud if you're prepared to take a gamble I can't see how it's a loss. even if you drive it and fix it i'm sure you'd still get back what you spent on it

Thanks for the info Russ -- I'm looking for a daily driver for ~$30k in the first instance, assuming that I can fix/update/restore the other things that it'll need along the way rather than up-front.

I'd ring the guys at T&D and ask if you wanted to know an exact cost for getting it done

Yup, good plan. I'd get them to do the PPI anyway, just trying to work out whether I should even be going out to have a look. The original listing price was above my budget … 

SimonR

I somehow got lost on the long list of replies. If you are talking about the red 3.2 Carrera in Castledene, then I have already done the PPI with Don Munro. The no 2 head stud is gone. Don quoted me about 10k to do the full job including a new clutch and pressure plate. As I said the rest of the car needs cosmetic stuff. The conversion is a good one. A few minor things for RWC and I was going to get the rest done whilst I enjoyed the car. It has a lot of potential. My circumstances have changed so will not pursue it. PPI report is available if required.

Regards

Sashie

SimonR

I somehow got lost on the long list of replies. If you are talking about the red 3.2 Carrera in Castledene, then I have already done the PPI with Don Munro. The no 2 head stud is gone. Don quoted me about 10k to do the full job including a new clutch and pressure plate. As I said the rest of the car needs cosmetic stuff. The conversion is a good one. A few minor things for RWC and I was going to get the rest done whilst I enjoyed the car. It has a lot of potential. My circumstances have changed so will not pursue it. PPI report is available if required.

Regards

Sashie

Sashie -- PM sent!

Actually that'd be great. I've sent some messages backwards and forwards with the owner and he's sent me some relatively poor images through. He said it's a full resto, interior is original but 'good for it's age' which I've heard enough times now to completely disregard. It's a Euro import, but he claims it's rust-free. I just burnt money on an inspection on a car in Sydney which I probably could have saved by imposing on someone to have a look first.

I'll get back in contact with the owner, and then can I shoot you a PM to organise something at your convenience?

A few 911 air-cooled buffs here in Canberra who would be happy to help out.

After you talk to the dude send me a PM and we'll arrange an inspection.

Someone tell him he has the decimal point in the wrong place

http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/cars/cars/porsche/924/170559

True. Instead you could have this one http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-924-1980/SSE-AD-2745925/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1  Owner will never recoup the fortune spent on this.

"snailshell gearbox out of the 911 SC...This particular car was also optioned with the rare 5-bolt turbo forged wheels. "

I never realised the 924 turbo had the 911 gearbox , and I thought the turbos came standard with the wheels in the ad. Not that I would know much about 924s  ;)

True. Instead you could have this one http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-924-1980/SSE-AD-2745925/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1  Owner will never recoup the fortune spent on this.

"snailshell gearbox out of the 911 SC...This particular car was also optioned with the rare 5-bolt turbo forged wheels. "

I never realised the 924 turbo had the 911 gearbox , and I thought the turbos came standard with the wheels in the ad. Not that I would know much about 924s  ;)

you never know a fake turbo 924 might be worth something in the future

Is that not a PFA members car? Younger guy, had a thread re: importing from the sates etc. Being a US car and the mention of the ducktail methinks that's the car.

I'll try and dig up the original thread. From memory I think he bought it quite cheap, looks nice though.