Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

You would probably agree that if buying a well used water-cooled car aside from service history, you really want the DME readouts to check its over rev history.. type 2 over revs is what makes these motors live a shorter life.. both turbo and NA. 

That could be said for any engine. The engine in my race car is due for a refresh after 30hrs. I just got off the phone to my engine builder and 2 have gone bang after 5 or 10hrs recently. Both showed strong signs of being sent into the rev stratosphere on downshifts a number of times. 

AMANDA!!! Whilst generally known as a man's car , i know a couple of women who really enjoy driving these.

And this one is in a non-man colour. Just waiting for a woman's interior decorating skills. Houndstooth? Tartan? leather?

And best of all , it's a V8  :) You will always regret not going for it...

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=68720&country=au

928pink.jpg

996 has a lot going against it;

- first of the water cooled cars

- developed at a time when Porsche was short of money

- immediately prior to one of the best looking 911's ever made 997.1 (imo)

- IMS issues tarnishing the 996 in general

- and #1 with a bullet, the headlights.

If you can buy a 996.1 GT3 at ~90k, Turbo has to be worth less (again imo).

Whilst i agree that a normal 996 carries many of these issues...the 996 turbo was a hawt car when it dropped, and the extra body work on the turbos more than makes up for the fried egg lights.   Sure I'd prefer a 993 turbo but we are talking a bona fide super car for $60k, when some people are asking that for high miler 3.2s with undesirable colours. If you forced me to choose I would probably sway turbo over gt3 just because that's who I am.  I would fully expect that the engine is going to need work at some point, but turbos are just another bit of hardware, they don't make the engine an enigma that can't be understood.  These cars are at the value point where you need to get your hands dirty and stop taking it to Porsche, but if you take the time to understand them, they are fixable.

I don't know...even in an auto, it seems like very good value to me, especially in relation to some of the bizarre pricing around, like the guy who forward dated his 1970 something to a 1987 spec and wants $75k for his troubles,  or the multiple long hoods that are priced over the $100k mark without matching numbers and missing original parts like wheels.

That thing has been around so long I assumed it was some sort of Carsales test pattern.

Somebody saw some value in it, ad says no longer available! Just like that pink Koenig 928 surely after years on Carsales the owner would be open to stupid offers

Whilst i agree that a normal 996 carries many of these issues...the 996 turbo was a hawt car when it dropped, and the extra body work on the turbos more than makes up for the fried egg lights.   Sure I'd prefer a 993 turbo but we are talking a bona fide super car for $60k, when some people are asking that for high miler 3.2s with undesirable colours. If you forced me to choose I would probably sway turbo over gt3 just because that's who I am.  I would fully expect that the engine is going to need work at some point, but turbos are just another bit of hardware, they don't make the engine an enigma that can't be understood.  These cars are at the value point where you need to get your hands dirty and stop taking it to Porsche, but if you take the time to understand them, they are fixable.

I don't know...even in an auto, it seems like very good value to me, especially in relation to some of the bizarre pricing around, like the guy who forward dated his 1970 something to a 1987 spec and wants $75k for his troubles,  or the multiple long hoods that are priced over the $100k mark without matching numbers and missing original parts like wheels.

I went to have a look..it's really nice for the money. Going to get the DME and then do a PPI if it looks ok. I'm finding it very difficult to come up with a price as the car has been at the bargain price for a month and is still around?

He mentions that in his advert and just asks that you discuss it with him. Usually it means it not owned outright and a financial institution is involved.

Might just mean you write two cheques, one for him for the portion he "owns" of the car and one to payout the bank?

Generally it doesn't substantially affect the sale price, just something to manage very carefully when buying privately and allow some extra time to sort out.

He mentions that in his advert and just asks that you discuss it with him. Usually it means it not owned outright and a financial institution is involved.Might just mean you write two cheques, one for him for the portion he "owns" of the car and one to payout the bank?Generally it doesn't substantially affect the sale price, just something to manage very carefully when buying privately and allow some extra time to sort out.

Ah of course, I didn't think of that. l assumed the worst and started thinking some sort of written off status or the likes. Fingers crossed it's nothing like that and someone can grab a bargain.

It still could have been a repairable write off AS WELL as being currently financially encumbered so you need to check its history carefully.*

*Capital letters used for dramatic purposes only and in no way infers that this car is a lemon as I frankly don't know. It's most likely a good car that someone just happens to owe a little money on. Just need to check carefully is all I'm suggesting before getting to excited. Good luck and can I have drive when you buy it please? :-)

I went to have a look..it's really nice for the money. Going to get the DME and then do a PPI if it looks ok. I'm finding it very difficult to come up with a price as the car has been at the bargain price for a month and is still around?

Good luck with it! Also what's up with the revs?

If your looking for info on evaluating DME readout try this link

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/8801553-post60.html