Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

The bumper over riders alone make me cringe + the later model interior and many other things just scream older gentleman DIY 911 project. It has been on the market for a while and I suspect it will continue to be on the market for some time, especially at that price!

Yeah, I`ve sort it out, that is really frankenporsche... But, for me there are at least 2 "but"s: 1.convertible - I`m after coupe and 2. 2.7slash3.0 litre with "who the hell knows what inside of this car"...

they so tough... can sell it straight away for bargain 20 grand :))))

My reading tells me that Porsche tried several times to make factory convertibles after they realised that the rollover laws weren't going to come in the USA.  The first time they cut the top off a Targa the wobbliness shocked the engineers so much they started developing body rigs to measure it before they could be confident to develop a proper version, which didn't come out until 83.

So buying a converted Targa, you're doing something the factory freaked out at and spent years trying to engineer a fix.

My reading tells me that Porsche tried several times to make factory convertibles after they realised that the rollover laws weren't going to come in the USA.  The first time they cut the top off a Targa the wobbliness shocked the engineers so much they started developing body rigs to measure it before they could be confident to develop a proper version, which didn't come out until 83.

So buying a converted Targa, you're doing something the factory freaked out at and spent years trying to engineer a fix.

that`s why i`m looking for a coupe :))

Ok ...... so please correct me if I'm wrong, but surely this one has to be false advertising from a dealer ....

It states "Factory right hand drive"

According to the VIN it certainly isn't ...... also has the USA front indicator lenses and looks like it had the large rear bumperettes.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1984-Porsche-911-Carrera-Cabriolet-Red-M-Convertible-/251704536052?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3a9ac26bf4

Ok ...... so please correct me if I'm wrong, but surely this one has to be false advertising from a dealer ....

It states "Factory right hand drive"

According to the VIN it certainly isn't ...... also has the USA front indicator lenses and looks like it had the large rear bumperettes.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1984-Porsche-911-Carrera-Cabriolet-Red-M-Convertible-/251704536052?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3a9ac26bf4

Call him out on it and see what he says 

There's nothing in the official conversion manual about adding reinforcing to a Targa to make it a Cabriolet. Just information about adding the mounts for the roof (and using jig 912 to get the shape correct) and changing engine mounts, and struts for the deck lid so it doesn't crush the rear window

There's nothing in the official conversion manual about adding reinforcing to a Targa to make it a Cabriolet. Just information about adding the mounts for the roof (and using jig 912 to get the shape correct) and changing engine mounts, and struts for the deck lid so it doesn't crush the rear window

I thought we all agreed there was to be no reading from the verboten book!?

If this was previously discussed I must have missed it. It's had some love for sure. Alvin.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1977/SSE-AD-2204323/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

I think it's the third time around now?

cp5753696725293188261.jpg?height=290&asp

Let's take a look:

Previous owner spent $40,00.00 on the Kevlar & Fibreglass 959 kit which involved body work to remove roof gutters.

- Fitted with a new roof lining cloth & leather trim Recaro front seats and rear seat.

- New remotely operated Pioneer sound system (1,500.00.).

- 19 inch 5 x 130 Kahn rims Titanium and polished stainless steel 2 piece: Rear ET 40 x 11J Front ET 45 X 8.5J ($9,000.00), Falken FK 451 tyres. 285/35ZR19 & 245/35ZR19

- 996 Carrera 4S headlights (stated they cost 26,000.00).

Give me strength!  Apart from the bodywork, and the overpriced rims, why do these cars always have a big dollar sound system?

- As well as the body work it has had a new, clutch, alternator, brake pads, twin exhaust.

I have replaced, gearshift coupling & bushes, rocker cover gaskets, oil & filter change, new fuel pump, petrol sender unit, petrol tank liner, Bosch injectors, new horn, plugs, idler gear, choke assembly, battery, manifold rubbers, inlet manifold gaskets, air cleaner strap, injector O rings, airbox, cold start injector and full sunroof seal kit.

In all probability, the vehicle owes more than $110,000.00

In all probability, it is worth less than the sum of it's parts, unless a starry eyed buyer can be found.

The ad definitely has the distinct feel of someone who has had enough.

And under all the crap, there is a nice little Aus delivered 77 911 just waiting to be released from it's purple prison.

My questions are as follows

As fair as conversion goes ; how much does this impact the true value of a car. We have a few American cars we have converted over the years with a great deal of effort and money put into it but know people who have really done it on a shoe string budget

My two cars in question are these two early 911s

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wantirna-south/cars-vans-utes/1972-porsche-911-coupe/1059714010

And this one which I'm interested in but has been sitting for a while

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1970/SSE-AD-2352238/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

There is also a Uk imported 993 which is interesting as we have the pre 1990 restriction which may be a personal import but once again I could only imagine for the 993 for example it should sit at least 10k under the price for an Aus delivered. Or is P something different all together.

Woud be note rested in your thoughts.

The first one was listed on the market last month initially on ebay where it was pulled prior to the auction ending? Obviously still hasn't sold, you have to not only consider the LHD to RHD conversation but also the coupe to targa - I'd suggest you need to inspect the car in detail to confirm condition and quality of the work done.

The second one has been on the market forever and most likely due to a good reason, I'm guessing it's priced to high.

Not sure of the 993 your referring to so can't comment on that sorry.

Being ex UK a good inspection would be essential. I recall seeing only about 6 months ago pretty good aus cars for this money but hey if the car checks out maybe he will get what he's asking - you can't underestimate air cooled values in the current market!

The market seems to be split when it comes to conversions .......

I wouldn't touch one for love nor money ...... but there are plenty on here that aren't bothered.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the cars themselves, just not for me ....

Aussie delivered cars will always command a premium over imported cars and are far more sought after ..... when one hits the market at the right money, it is only a matter of hours before its sold .... and often sold sight unseen.

That green one is not only a conversion, but has also been converted to a coupe ..... as Hugh said, it would have to be looked at carefully to make sure the work was done right .....