Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Guys, another oldie but goodie from a noob question about the famous red slant nose

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/1982-Porsche-911-SC-No-Series/SSE-AD-2956601

As long as I'm targeting to keep a car for a loooong time, I could reconvert it to an original Porsche front end. So, what should I change, hypothetically, front fenders, headlights, bumper?

Has anyone checked her?

Can't find any. Was thinking about buying one next year, but wifey kinda approved buying right now, so, I missed all the cars that were interesting... :)

I'm looking for a nice SC or Carrera in Coupe body up to 30-32 grand, right now lots of Targas and Cabrios on market or "projects"...

Thanx for the hint though.

That could very well be an original Porsche front end

I reckon in another 10 years the slant noses will be better appreciated as everyone will have forgotten about all the poorly done replicas that ultimately and unfortunately diminished how inspired the original concept was.

Can't find any. Was thinking about buying one next year, but wifey kinda approved buying right now, so, I missed all the cars that were interesting... :)

I'm looking for a nice SC or Carrera in Coupe body up to 30-32 grand, right now lots of Targas and Cabrios on market or "projects"...

Thanx for the hint though.

At that price you'll have to be on imports and not oz delivered unless you luck out.  I wouldn't go for any bitzas unless you can really verify the work.  Putting something right can take a lot of time and patience, and if you just want to drive it that will drive you nuts.

Are you happy to accept LHD?  That's what I did, and I got a decent coupe for reasonable money.  It had all the things I wanted, like original interior, original wheels, original engine and rust free original bodywork.  In fact the more other porsches i see at shows and gatherings, the happier I am with what I have, as it's the right car for me.  I like the LHD now just because it's different and makes each drive different in every respect. Not just the floor mounted pedals, manual steering, notchy gearbox and bouncy ride, you also sit on the other side of the car.

You'll have to compromise unless you're either incredibly lucky or have a very large cheque book.  So when the right car speaks to you, it will be because the compromises you have to accept are in places you don't particularly care about.  So figure out what you really care about and just keep looking, and don't dally when the right car comes up.

I reckon in another 10 years the slant noses will be better appreciated as everyone will have forgotten about all the poorly done replicas that ultimately and unfortunately diminished how inspired the original concept was.

yeah....no I don't agree.  Losing the bug-eyed porsche look spoils the car IMO.

Nice looking 993 Steve. Australian delivered in Turquoise would be easily $10K more.

I think if you're in the market for one like that I'd go and check it out.  It looks a clean car, and if cared for and only summer driven it might be (mostly) free from the dreaded cancer.  But you'd have to go in expecting to find corrosion underneath and not get emotionally involved until inspected properly!

At that price you'll have to be on imports and not oz delivered unless you luck out.  I wouldn't go for any bitzas unless you can really verify the work.  Putting something right can take a lot of time and patience, and if you just want to drive it that will drive you nuts.

Are you happy to accept LHD?  That's what I did, and I got a decent coupe for reasonable money.  It had all the things I wanted, like original interior, original wheels, original engine and rust free original bodywork.  In fact the more other porsches i see at shows and gatherings, the happier I am with what I have, as it's the right car for me.  I like the LHD now just because it's different and makes each drive different in every respect. Not just the floor mounted pedals, manual steering, notchy gearbox and bouncy ride, you also sit on the other side of the car.

You'll have to compromise unless you're either incredibly lucky or have a very large cheque book.  So when the right car speaks to you, it will be because the compromises you have to accept are in places you don't particularly care about.  So figure out what you really care about and just keep looking, and don't dally when the right car comes up.

Basically my list of "musts" looks like this:

Coupe

3.0 or 3.2 motor comparatively fresh

No rust

Ability to drive it daily (legal reasons aka RWC or so) without any major stuff like "this 915 has given up so u need a new one" or "the engine is so crooked, lets rebuilt it".

"Would be nice" list:

RHD

not a Slant Nose

In won`t be a daily car, but weekend or show car...

Am I too naive?

Coupe

No rust

Ability to drive it daily (legal reasons aka RWC or so) without any major stuff like "this 915 has given up so u need a new one" or "the engine is so crooked, lets rebuilt it".

"Would be nice" list:

RHD

not a Slant Nose

Am I too naive?

You will struggle to tick those boxes for under 30k. You would be doing well to change out of 40k really - you may need to lower your expectations or up your budget in my honest opinion. 

86Porsche935DPBlackBlack27K61368585540.j

yep, totally ruined

I'd be happy with a conversion had it been done properly, not like alot of the shoddy work i've seen so far

Nice find Russ. In fact I'd be happy to own that one and not wait the 10 years or so for Flachtbau to be appreciated again for what they were - a clever aero modification that had a very successfully racing connection.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adamstown-heights/cars-vans-utes/1986-porsche-other-coupe/1061321954

not sure if its been through the grinder yet...14,500kms  from new?

U.S. import ... lhd to rhd conversion, and wrong speedo (only goes to 250 kmh)

And they're asking $108k ??? .......  :wacko:  :blink:

Makes that Aussie delivered mint one in Perth look like an absolute bargain at $95k..... and I thought that was highly priced ....

No way known it has only 14500 k's .....

Coupe

No rust

"Would be nice" list:

RHD

not a Slant Nose

Am I too naive?

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Hugh .....

You will need to ammend your criteria for the price you want to pay .....

Maybe 6 months ago it was possible to find something, but with the recent "interest" in the older aircooled 911's, you would need to spend over $40k and you would still have to be lucky to find something for that.

Good cars sell REALLY quickly and there are 100's of people looking for the same car as you.

Coupe

No rust

"Would be nice" list:

RHD

not a Slant Nose

Am I too naive?

good luck.

you are going to need it. unfortunately you're about 18 months-2 years too late. :(

Coupe

No rust

"Would be nice" list:

RHD

not a Slant Nose

Am I too naive?

Have a read through this thread if you haven't already, and alot of your queries will be answered .....

so, from what I have found so far on the market:

Yellow frankeporsche in Vic with no heater, 3.0 Carrera engine for 20

Yellow frankie in Qld with sus history on TV for 25

Red Slantnose in Vic for roughly 30

Red this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-3053319/?Cr=16&sdmvc=1

for 36...

that is tuff as hell so far...

Been there done that once with VW Corrado 10 years ago.

what is wrong with this at 36k? assuming it's a good conversion

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-3053319/?Cr=16&sdmvc=1

time to buy a targa or cabrio? i don't know if time is going to be your friend if you're waiting for the market to change though i could be eating my words in a few years